Thai PM Abhisit Says Seeking Political Solution To Crisis

webfact

Thai PM says seeking political solution to crisis

BANGKOK (AFP) -- Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said his government is striving to find a "political resolution" to the country's crippling crisis, but he warned it would take time.

"We recognise that as every day passes by, the people of Thailand suffer, the country suffers, but we want to make sure that there is rule of law," Abhisit said in an interview with CNN set to air Tuesday.

"We will try to enforce the law with minimum losses and we will try to find a political resolution, but it takes time, patience and cooperation," he said, according to excerpts of the interview posted on the CNN website.

"We will do the best we can and try to move the country forward as soon as possible," added Abhisit, who has been based at a military barracks since the anti-government "Red Shirts" began mass rallies in mid-March.

Street clashes earlier this month and grenade attacks last week in the heart of Bangkok have left 26 people dead and hundreds more wounded in the country's worst political unrest for almost two decades.

The Red Shirts -- who are campaigning for immediate elections -- have reinforced their roadblocks and fortified their sprawling protest site with barricades made from truck tyres and bamboo stakes.

Abhisit has rejected an offer by the Reds, who mostly support former premier Thaksin Shinawatra, to disperse if elections are held in three months' time.

He has vowed to regain control of the protest site, without giving any indication of when a crackdown might come.

When troops tried to sweep the Reds out of Bangkok's historic area on April 10 they suffered a humiliating retreat.

afplogo.jpg

-- ©Copyright AFP 2010-04-27

Published with written approval from AFP.

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai PM says he is seeking political resolution to opposition standoff

(CNN) -- Thailand's prime minister said Monday that his government is working to achieve normalcy in the country

amid massive opposition protests, but warned it will take "time, patience and cooperation" from all parties involved.

Story and Video continues: http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/...dex.html?hpt=T2

gallery_327_1086_2429.jpg

-- 2010-04-27

I posted this in another thread but it really belongs here!.

OK I have watched the CNN interview or the bit that is posted - see the live news today thread..

and noboby cares what my opinion is but me but.....

Abhisit doesn't believe his own spin; sorry, but he reminded me of one of my own UK mob, Tory or Labour - that sort of weasly politician that we get in UK who deny, prevaricate and, leave bits out in answers, stumble about but do everything but look confident or in control when they know they are on, shall we say, shaky ground. Humphreys or Paxman would have had him for breakfast or dinner respectively.

The very interview itself is an attempt to convey the Thai government message that this government is indeed legitimate, despite the world's scepticism, the interview actually opening with that very question of why do so many question your government's legitimacy. His reply says what he is programmed to say but the world has up to now not, I am afraid, bought it and for me, they are not going to be any closer to buying it after this interview. Sorry, but I am a media observer and that is what I observe...

:)

And it seems remarkably that jingthing and myself are in agreement!!!

Edited by danc

I wish him the best of luck, but frankly, it sounds like he is stalling for time against pressure from both PAD and the red insurgents.

Stall for time he must. I still think a forceful dispersal at this point would incense red shirt supporters throughout the nation. Sincere and honest negotiations are the only reasonable way forward. It is now up to the red shirt leaders to realize this basic fact. If they continue in their unlawful terrorist actions they will leave the military and government no other choice but to act. So if Abhisit and Anupong are stalling then more power to them. But the time is running out for all parties. Tick tock, tick tock....

Edited by way2muchcoffee

Abhisit just has to swallow his pride and make way for elections.

Simple as that.

Simple to you. Not simple to people who have done any thinking about what an election at the current time would actually be like. It would be like trying to light a match under the ocean.

I wish him the best of luck, but frankly, it sounds like he is stalling for time against pressure from both PAD and the red insurgents.

Stall for time he must. I still think a forceful dispersal at this point would likely inflame the red shirt supporters throughout the nation. Sincere and honest negotiations are the only reasonable way forward. It is now up to the red shirt leaders to realize this basic fact. If they continue in their unlawful terrorist actions they will leave the military and government no other choice but to act. So if Abhisit and Anupong are stalling then more power to them. But the time is running out for all parties. Tick tock, tick tock....

Yeah, you're right I think. Its the only hope for peace, however dim.

Edited by Jingthing

yeah why not just organise a legal vote and get over with...

but i guess people in power, legit or not, want to stay in power...

and those that have fled to foreign country want power back they lost by other corrupt people

If they [the UDD] continue in their unlawful terrorist actions they will leave the military and government no other choice but to act. So if Abhisit and Anupong are stalling then more power to them. But the time is running out for all parties. Tick tock, tick tock....

I'm trying to think of one major crime that has not already been committed by the UDD

- murder of Army personnel (April 10)

- intimidation of the public

- armed insurrection by commandeering police and army equipment, including weapons

- killing of citizens (BTS Sala Daeng)l

- kidnapping (EC commissioner, police at the SC Hotel fiasco)

- usurping the power of the state (stopping and searching motorists and pedestrians, preventing the police and military from carrying out their duties)

- impeding people and businesses from going about their lawful rights (such as closing down Central Chitlom, and BTS today)

- erecting barricades in public places

Given this list, I'm wondering what ELSE has to happen before the military 'have no choice'??? Haven't we already gone LONG past that point, and don't the reds already know it. Abhisit and Anupong are living in a dream world in the 11th Army Regiment barracks, hoping that if they just keep singing 'la-la-lala-la' with their eyes closed for long enough the reds will go away. It's not going to happen. The reds are going to keep provoking until they either run the country de facto by taking over the duties of the security forces or the PAD and other citizens start fighting them in the streets.

The government has already fallen. What remains to be seen is who will fill the power vacuum?

Edited by dobadoy

Simple as that.

Been saying that for months.All of this could have been avoided. What is he afraid of?

Thai friends tell me the looming Budget

Trillions

Simple as that.

Been saying that for months.All of this could have been avoided. What is he afraid of?

Thai friends tell me the looming Budget

Trillions

That and the military reshuffle, he also wants control over that.

Simple as that.

Yep. All could have been avoided had the red shirts bothered to negotiate and compromise. Instead it's ultimatums, intimidation, and violence.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

Just suggested the following on Abhisits facebook page. Will I become a hero too? :)

May I suggest a Temporary National Assembly Government until the constitution is rewritten?

That way UDD/PT couldn't request dissolution of Parliament and all parties would have to unite to fix the current situation.

Any party not participating would loose, loose face and portray themselves as not wanting to be a part of a national solution supported by the people.

And could not claim undemocratic means.

National Assembly governments are common in the west during national crisis.

Maybe it could work in Thailand too?

Edited by valerian

If they [the UDD] continue in their unlawful terrorist actions they will leave the military and government no other choice but to act. So if Abhisit and Anupong are stalling then more power to them. But the time is running out for all parties. Tick tock, tick tock....

I'm trying to think of one major crime that has not already been committed by the UDD

- armed insurrection by commandeering police and army equipment, including weapons

- usurping the power of the state (stopping and searching motorists and pedestrians, preventing the police and military from carrying out their duties)

- impeding people and businesses from going about their lawful rights (such as closing down Central Chitlom, and BTS today)

Given this list, I'm wondering what ELSE has to happen before the military 'have no choice'??? Haven't we already gone LONG past that point, and don't the reds already know it. Abhisit and Anupong are living in a dream world in the 11th Army Regiment barracks, hoping that if they just keep singing 'la-la-lala-la' with their eyes closed for long enough the reds will go away. It's not going to happen. The reds are going to keep provoking until they either run the country de facto by taking over the duties of the security forces or the PAD and other citizens start fighting them in the streets.

The government has already fallen. What remains to be seen is who will fill the power vacuum?

I wish I didn't but I agree with this posting!

OK I have watched the CNN interview or the bit that is posted - see the live news today thread..

Abhisit doesn't believe his own spin; sorry, but he reminded me of one of my own UK mob, Tory or Labour - that sort of weasly politician that we get in UK who deny, prevaricate and, leave bits out in answers, stumble about but do everything but look confident or in control when they know they are on, shall we say, shaky ground. Humphreys or Paxman would have had him for breakfast or dinner respectively.

The very interview itself is an attempt to convey the Thai government message that this government is indeed legitimate, despite the world's scepticism, the interview actually opening with that very question of why do so many question your government's legitimacy. His reply says what he is programmed to say but the world has up to now not, I am afraid, bought it and for me, they are not going to be any closer to buying it after this interview. Sorry, but I am a media observer and that is what I observe...

Your comments might be interesting, if you leave out the phrase "the World"

The Thai Government of the day is indeed legitimate.

If you are a media observer, you sound a lot like a one-sided observer.

On the other hand, aren't we all media observers.

And who is able to observe without any alignment?

We both are obviously not able to observe without any bias.

The reds want dissolution of the parliament.

If Parliament is silenced, democracy is completely gone.

Until the next election the Government can do anything without parliamentary control.

More to the point would be if the reds asked the Government to become demissionary pending elections.

Parliament remains in session, the government becomes a caretaking one.

Now suppose the election ends with the same results as last elections.

No party gets a majority, which would not be a bad thing, because coalition governments are mostly better for a country and the people.

And also suppose the coalition that will be formed excludes the Thaksin followers, just like the coalition of the day.

What will the reds do then?

Declare the elections not valid?

Go back to the streets again?

Go on till the country will be in civil war?

Or maybe a military coup ala Burma?

Open your eyes.

The only thing the reds want is the return of Thaksin.

Maybe, just maybe, we will see reason rise from all this trouble which is threatening to break up this country.

Edited by hansnl

Simple as that.

He is afraid of the same thing that Anupong and most clear thinking people are - the power play that is being forced by the Red leadership and their murdering scumbag goons for not only the Thai political platform but also control of the thai army. It's nothing to do with the Isaan poor and everything to do with complete control by a group of scum bags that Thaksin will not ever be able to control and would make him look like an angel. People who think that it will be back to the good old days of Uncle Thaksi better think again. Thailand within short time would be sinking to mayhem with this scum at the helm or fighting over who is at the helm.

I wish him luck in finding a solution to this mess. He at least understands the perils.

Newin

i passed rajaprasong today........the number of REds are not as many as i thought..........they could be easily disperse if proper plan is taken...

Actually, in the daytime, particularly the hot mid day sun, the crowd in front of the stage often isn't that dense. Many of the Reds seem to be resting in their tents. After the sun goes down, between 7 and 9pm, is prime time when the leaders take their turn on the rally stage -- although now it seems they're staying sheltered and speaking only through live video, likely worried now of becoming a sniper's target. In the evening the whole area from the intersection itself to up past Big C is completely packed with people. Also keep in mind that tent city not only stretches from the Chitlom intersection to MBK in one direction, but now all the way along Rajadamri to the Sala Dang intersection -- and there's a lot of people down along that way. It's really a massive encampment.

Stall for time he must. I still think a forceful dispersal at this point would incense red shirt supporters throughout the nation. Sincere and honest negotiations are the only reasonable way forward. It is now up to the red shirt leaders to realize this basic fact. If they continue in their unlawful terrorist actions they will leave the military and government no other choice but to act. So if Abhisit and Anupong are stalling then more power to them. But the time is running out for all parties. Tick tock, tick tock....

If I remember correctly the red shirts demanded the lower house dissolved in 15 days, Abhisit offered elections by the end of the year. The reds the came back with a 3 month time frame for elections and, and maybe I missed Abhisit's next offer or was it just NO. End of negotiations.

:D

Really good insight ! and if you want to know what is going on "behind" pawn Abhisit, - he is about to get sacked, I know your surprised as it has only happened 23 times in Thailand. He has been told "stall for time" while we raid the treasury for our elite deserving funds. The "real story" is at "The Economist" December 4, 2008 Google it and read away.