Best Bang For Your Baht!

Daren

Value, value, value - That's the Name of the Game!

As an avid follower of this thread, and all of it's awesome kitchen tips, restaurant reviews, questions, answers and rants, I found one area to be lacking: Bargain Bites! There certainly are some posts that go that direction, but wouldn't it be handy to have one thread with a great list of good deals?

So I'd like to invite all of the great TV users to post their personal "best value" eateries, specials and sales! Of course we all have different tastes and opinions of what constitutes a "good deal". For some it could mean Sizzler salad bar @ 140B, and for others it might mean buying a membership card at the Landmark - and they're both right! The purpose of this thread shouldn't be to bash others' opinions or tastes, but to share tips and ideas so that we can all eat better for less!

As a new resident of the Big Mango, I don't have a lot too offer here yet, but it would be rather tactless for me to start a thread like and not contribute. So, here it goes:

Chicken Shwarma Stand

Khao San Rd. - Just around the corner from Gulliver's, same end as the police station.

50B for a well packed pita pocket full of nicely flavored chicken make this an attractive meal, but the line-up of serve-yourself veggies makes this a very good deal! They have any thing you want in your sandwich, as long as it's chicken, but they do offer mixed salad, various pickled and non-pickled vegetables and several sauces right there for your enjoyment. I've seen hungry greedy backpackers alternating between taking bites and piling on more veg without the shop keeper even batting an eyelash.

--> It's also worth noting that this is my Thai GF's favorite doner kebab-style sandy in BKK (so far), and we've tried a fair few.

I know, I know... it's a pretty weak first post, but that's why you all need to help me out here! Also, there is a Korean Thai BBQ place down the street from me which has the standard stuff - noodles, various meats, mountains of veggies - but they also offer a "Seafood" option which includes all-you-can eat shrimp (they're so fresh they're still swimming!!), baked and boiled crab, several types of shellfish and lots of other stuff. I don't have the specifics on this place, so I will save it for now.

Let's hear about the places where you feel like you just got great deal when you're walking out the door!

Cheers folks!

"Khao pow moo,nearly every restaurant/street cart stalls do it and it is delicious and cheap! 30 bt"

that's BKK prices.....up here in the sticks of Chiang mai, we pay 10-15thb. Moat food items are at least half price of the 'big mango' and cleaner/fresher/cheaper.

The best bang for your buck in Thailand is jumping on your mountain bike and biking the klongs, rice fields, and countryside of Thailand!

You may not come home with a hand carved souvenoir or food in your belly, but the smiling faces and memories etched will be remembered forever.

"Khao pow moo,nearly every restaurant/street cart stalls do it and it is delicious and cheap! 30 bt"

that's BKK prices.....up here in the sticks of Chiang mai, we pay 10-15thb. Moat food items are at least half price of the 'big mango' and cleaner/fresher/cheaper.

Just to point out 30 bt is in Issan not Bangkok!.....10-15bt for a plate of khao pow moo? where in Chang Mai please??

Sorry Daren carry on sir :)

Regarding Western food:

The best "bang for your buck" in LOS will always be home cooking.

In addition, upcountry food, even supermarkets, tends to much cheaper than in Bangkok or the tourist areas.

If limiting scope to restaurants:

One that comes to mind is Mike's Burgers (Chiangmai) - excellent burgers and good deal too. Blows away Burger King and is much cheaper.

Not sure if they have locations outside CM, though.

Mike's is even mentioned in Lonely Planet - the backpackers bible.

Lonely Planet review

Grab a stool for a dose of après-clubbing handmade burgers and chilli fries. Considered the best burgers outside the US by ex-pats, there is also a branch on Th Nimmanhaemin.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thailand/chian...taurants/403608

Not sure I agree with the "the best outside the US" part, but quite good and probably the best value, or "bang for the buck", that I've seen in LOS (among burgers, that is).

Edited by ChefHeat

S

I

Z

Z

L

E

R

End of Story

Well, the best "BFYB" (bang for your buck) Sizzler has to offer can only be the salad bar. The entrees are a bit expensive, skimpy, and mediocre. Despite being extremely mediocre as well, I must say the salad bar is a fairly good value. You can fill up, or over-fill, for...what is it, 150-200 baht? Not bad.

But for 100 baht or so, you coulda filled up on nice juicy Mike's Burger... with mushrooms or chili or bacon-cheese amongst others.

Comes with fries, I believe. I really like the mushroom burger. The Philadelphia Steak Sandwich with onion rings, fries and mushrooms, is the most expensive on menu at abut 220 baht.

For all you Bangkokians, what are the best deals on these two categories?

- Western Buffet with all the Bells and Whistles! (I'm thinking hotel-style here)

- "Top of the World" type restaurant - great views, food and prices(?)

• 2 weeks later...