Who Invented Football?

isanbirder

Scotland. But the English claim to have. :)

Cambridge University 1863 according to wiki, a group of Englishmen formed the Football Association and invented the modern game of football.

Cambridge University 1863 according to wiki, a group of Englishmen formed the Football Association and invented the modern game of football.

Football Was Invented in Scotland

The discovery was made due to a 1663 grammar book, called "Vocabula"

By Ovidiu Panzariu, Sports Editor

June 14th, 2006, 11:04 GMT

Adjust text size:

The most frequent question a football supporter asks himself is, without any doubt, "Who invented Football?". Of course, there is a lot of controversy around the answer. The two countries that are fighting for the historical honor are Italy and England. Most of the Europeans think it's the latter. After all, the first stadium that was invested with artificial lighting was the Wembley Arena. That seems to be their main argument when asked to give you a reason.

The Italians, on the other hand, do not agree. Their opinion is that the Italy Peninsula

was the first place to witness the "king of sports". And, of course, who can argue with them? As a matter of fact, both nations cannot be proven wrong. Still, it seems that England is the one nation closer to the truth. After the latest news coming from the Aberdeen Library, it seems that the Scottish people is the one that invented football.

David Wedderburn, teacher of the Aberdeen Grammar School, has written a book that can prove that. "Vocabula" shows a detailed story about the game's rules. And, in order for you to believe me, I'm going to show you a short paragraph of his book. The indications in the paragraph refer to his pupils.

"Let's pick sides. Those who are on the outside, come over here. Kick off, so that we can begin the match...Pass it here".

A 1711 manuscript of the book - written in 1663 - was stored in the Scottish National Library, in Aberdeen.

"The book is the first evidence we have come across of a passing game with goalkeepers and players passing the ball to score goals. The other interesting thing is that the FA was not formed until 1863. In the first FA rule book there is no mention of goalkeepers and the game is based more on a rugby-type structure, where players could not pass the ball forward. Scotland has a fantastic claim to have developed the modern game. It is frankly an amazing discovery and one which is hard to dispute", said Richard McBrearty, the curator of the Scottish Football Museum.

My university, so I'll go along with that!

Being a Dark Blue (and ergo anti 'Tab) I am going with Jockstar, even though I don't believe him. :D

My belief is football was clearly being played in Mayan culture.

The proof is easily visible here, showing a disgruntled Maya City supporter after the referee awarded Uaxactun United a free kick

profundo-detail.jpg

:)

And this furious Mayan then knocked one out? Disgusting. I remember when they used to just pee on the terraces.

Surely it couldn't be Scotland. That would mean that they have had more time than anyone else. to get good at it. And yet........ :):D

:D

JS will give you a warning for that one BJ. :D

He's an Aussie now isn't he :D

In that case I'm offering a haggis supper OR an Aussie meat pie to the first mod to send you on holiday for a few days.... :D

Surely it couldn't be Scotland. That would mean that they have had more time than anyone else. to get good at it. And yet........ :):D

JS will give you a warning for that one BJ. :D

He's an Aussie now isn't he :D

In that case I'm offering a haggis supper OR an Aussie meat pie to the first mod to send you on holiday for a few days.... :D

Very tempting. :D

Aberdeen nets football invention

Aberdeen and Scotland could claim to be the home of football

A book published in the 17th century suggests the modern game of football may have been invented in Aberdeen.

The book Vocabula was written by city teacher David Wedderburn in 1633, more than 200 years before the Football Association (FA) was formed in England.

The "amazing discovery" is written in Latin and describes playing a match and passing the ball.

A 1711 edition was stored at the National Library of Scotland (NLS) and is now on display in Germany.

Mr Wedderburn wrote: "Let's pick sides. Those who are on the outside, come over here. Kick off, so that we can begin the match...Pass it here."

'Fantastic claim'

Richard McBrearty, curator of the Scottish Football Museum, said: "The book is the first evidence we have come across of a passing game with goalkeepers and players passing the ball to score goals."

It is generally believed that the modern game has its origins in disorganised and spontaneous "mob football", he said.

And that English public schools, such as Eton and Harrow, "civilised" the game by drawing up rules that encouraged players to kick the ball and forbid them from carrying it.

However, McBrearty said Wedderburn's book suggested that while England was pursuing a "dribbling game" in the mid 1800s, Scotland was already playing a much more structured game with team formations and passing.

The influence of this book is quite tremendous - it rewrites part of football history

Professor Wulf Koepke

Museum fur Volkerkund

"The other interesting thing is that the FA was not formed until 1863," he continued.

"In the first FA rule book there is no mention of goalkeepers and the game is based more on a rugby-type structure, where players could not pass the ball forward.

"Scotland has a fantastic claim to have developed the modern game." he said.

"It is frankly an amazing discovery and one which is hard to dispute."

Mr McBrearty said further research by the Scottish Football Museum had shown that many of the first Football Association clubs comprised of Scottish players.

These players, with their superior technique, were known as the "Scottish professors", he said.

The book is on display at the Museum fur Volkerkunde in Hamburg as part of a World Cup football exhibition.

Professor Wulf Koepke of the Museum fur Volkerkunde said: "The influence of this book is quite tremendous - it rewrites part of football history."

Source

My belief is football was clearly being played in Mayan culture.

The proof is easily visible here, showing a disgruntled Maya City supporter after the referee awarded Uaxactun United a free kick

profundo-detail.jpg

:)

Definitely the best answer! (The best I could think of was Odysseus booting the ball away so that he could get at Nausicaa and those maidens; that's 800 BC at the latest).