Heathrow Passport Control

My student is off to the UK soon and I've been trying to remember the kinds of questions they ask at passport control. One thing I remember clearly is that the English they use is way above the heads of 90% of the passengers they deal with.

Thanks

purpose of the visit, how long to stay, material status (show cash, cc, a letter from the sponsor etc).

it's good, if somebody waits for him at the airport to pick him up - he can make a point of it

My wife has struggled a number of times to understand the strong accents of some Border Agency staff as many do not seem native to these shores!

The standard questions are why are you travelling to the UK, how long are you staying, where will you be staying. If they are studying - where is the college, what are they studying etc. how do you plan to fund your stay. They will probably ask for the TB certificate for those staying over 6 months.

If your student cannot understand tell them so! If necessary they will get someone who speaks more clearly.

Presumably anyone planning to study in the UK will already have a fair grasp of the language even if not used to strong accents!

My last trip I mentioned I was an Australian in London for 5 days & going to Thai Embassy for a visa

so basically in London for a visa run.

Customs guy asked me "What is a Visa run"?

I also told him he should go to Thaivisa.com

My wife has struggled a number of times to understand the strong accents of some Border Agency staff as many do not seem native to these shores!

I have a problem with a nothern or welsh accent, than with an international english.

those working at the emmigration are native, even if they have a turban

The turban should simply be viewed as part of the immigration officers' uniform, just like the headscarfs worn at KL Airport. It shows that you are a native. It is important for UK immigration officers to be as rude as possible to all non-EU nationals and contradict everything they say. If they say they don't speak English, it is vital for the immigration officer to ask further complicated questions in the Shakespearian language. If they can't answer, the immigration officials' questions, they should be arrested and charged for having an attitude and subesequently deported at the taxpayers' expense. To be sure of getting into the country, it is best to say that you are an asylum seeker giving the grounds that welfare benefits are not sufficiently high in your native land and it doesn't rain often enough there. This strategy always works. You should not admit be having a job as this is immediate grounds for entry refusal. It is best to say you don't like working and have heard that Britain is well geared up to your cause. Have a wonderful life in the "Perfide Albion".

The turban should simply be viewed as part of the immigration officers' uniform, just like the headscarfs worn at KL Airport. It shows that you are a native. It is important for UK immigration officers to be as rude as possible to all non-EU nationals and contradict everything they say. If they say they don't speak English, it is vital for the immigration officer to ask further complicated questions in the Shakespearian language. If they can't answer, the immigration officials' questions, they should be arrested and charged for having an attitude and subesequently deported at the taxpayers' expense. To be sure of getting into the country, it is best to say that you are an asylum seeker giving the grounds that welfare benefits are not sufficiently high in your native land and it doesn't rain often enough there. This strategy always works. You should not admit be having a job as this is immediate grounds for entry refusal. It is best to say you don't like working and have heard that Britain is well geared up to your cause. Have a wonderful life in the "Perfide Albion".

great stuff

I don't understand the reference in the OP to "my student." Are you the representative of a registered educational establishment in the UK?

Most visa holders are asked few, if any, questions by immigration when entering the UK. They have a valid visa and so should be allowed in. The Immigration Officer may ask a few simple questions about the purpose of the visit, as evidenced by LindsayBKK, but unless they have reason to suspect that the visa was obtained fraudulently or the passenger's circumstances have changed since it was issued or similar then that is it.

If. for some reason, a longer interview is required then the passenger can request an interpreter.

Since 2006, i am traveling to UK every year. My last visit was in April 2009, and the IO (Immigration Officer) started asking me silly questions, in a rude way. So i started answering him with confidence & firm voice. So my experience is that they do ask questions & try to see the reactions.

So in your case, student should know the whole procedure which you are going through (i.e., admission, fees, place of stay, visa application requirements, etc.)

And as for the IO, be firm & confident in replying. If you don't understand his/her accent, ask politely that you don't understand the accent, and never hesitate to say "can you repeat that please".

Good luck.

I have a problem with a nothern or welsh accent, than with an international english.

Looks like you struggle with English as well. It should read "Immigration" :)

I would suggest you stay away from Glasgow then. I have no problem with any native accent in the UK but I do struggle with the real broad Glaswegian, or Jockenese as we put it. :D

And what, pray, is "international English"? (Note the capital E, it is good English to use capital - upper case - letters in certain well defined situations).

btw those working in immigration are not native, they are British citizens. It's amazing how much racism is demonstrated on this forum often by the same people who howl about Thai racism.

ps my use of the word native above was to distinguish between the accents of those true Britons as opposed to the later immigrants like the Angles and Saxons. :)

I m guessing here, but when you say "my student" I guess what you really mean is "my Thai girlfriend who isnt really a student at all but I am pretending she is to get her into UK through back door means"

Shoot me down if I m wrong, but I bet I m not!!

Presumably anyone planning to study in the UK will already have a fair grasp of the language even if not used to strong accents!

As a US born and raised Anglo with a doctorate education, I consider myself to have a pretty "fair grasp" of English. As far as strong British accents, I was married to a Scot for several years and lived in Aberdeen. Yet, on my last trip thru Heathrow, I had to repeatedly ask the gentleman at immigration to speak slowly and clearly. Part of that was undoubtedly due to the poor acoustics of the arrivals hall but I swear the man was the product of a broken home and was raised under shared custody between Goa and Lagos before moving to Birmingham. He also spoke so fast that I remember thinking they should issue him some Valium so his speech would be slowed enough for his lips to form the words. My advice to non-English speakers is learn to say: "I don't understand you. Would you please speak more clearly? I don't speak cockney rhyming slang." Though, if you really want to get thru, you might leave that last sentence off.

I would suggest you stay away from Glasgow then. I have no problem with any native accent in the UK but I do struggle with the real broad Glaswegian, or Jockenese as we put it. :D

And what, pray, is "international English"? (Note the capital E, it is good English to use capital - upper case - letters in certain well defined situations).

btw those working in immigration are not native, they are British citizens. It's amazing how much racism is demonstrated on this forum often by the same people who howl about Thai racism.

ps my use of the word native above was to distinguish between the accents of those true Britons as opposed to the later immigrants like the Angles and Saxons. :)

"it is good English to use capital - upper case - letters in certain well defined situations"

As one should do at the start of a sentence. A clear case here of the kettle calling the pot black.

I recall the recent scandal in the UK, when it was exposed that there were "Illegal Aliens" actually WORKING in the Immigration Service. So much for Border control.

As was said on the Election discussion on BBC World the other night, why give amnesty to Illegal Immigrants when genuine cases queue up waiting for their Visa Quota allowance.

I recall the recent scandal in the UK, when it was exposed that there were "Illegal Aliens" actually WORKING in the Immigration Service. So much for Border control.

If I recall correctly, they were cleaners and worked for the cleaning company, not directly for the UKBA. No excuse, though.

Immigration officers are all British; and if people have a problem with 'non whites' being British and doing that job one wonders what they are doing on this board, let alone living in Thailand and/or married to a Thai!

I don't understand the reference in the OP to "my student." Are you the representative of a registered educational establishment in the UK?

Most visa holders are asked few, if any, questions by immigration when entering the UK. They have a valid visa and so should be allowed in. The Immigration Officer may ask a few simple questions about the purpose of the visit, as evidenced by LindsayBKK, but unless they have reason to suspect that the visa was obtained fraudulently or the passenger's circumstances have changed since it was issued or similar then that is it.

If. for some reason, a longer interview is required then the passenger can request an interpreter.

7by7 i'm a little suprised at you. Generally your posts come accross as knowledgable & factual.

A visa gives one right to travel to a country, it does not give right of entry, as many have found out on arrival in LOS.

Wasn't there a fairly recent newsworthy case of a female being refused entry with a visa because she had previously had some drug offences in LOS? Just as one example.

7by7 i'm a little suprised at you. Generally your posts come accross as knowledgable & factual.

A visa gives one right to travel to a country, it does not give right of entry, as many have found out on arrival in LOS.

Wasn't there a fairly recent newsworthy case of a female being refused entry with a visa because she had previously had some drug offences in LOS? Just as one example.

And the answer given by 7by7 is factually correct and reflects the knowledge he has researched and built up over the years.

When a visa is granted that means that means the applicant has been cleared for entry into the UK and whilst you are correct in stating that entry can still be denied it can only be done so, as 7by7 has pointed out, it can only be done if the visa has been fraudulently obtained or there has been a material change in the applicants circumstances, and even then the traveller shouldn't just be put on a plane back to their home country as they have the right to an in-country appeal against the decision to deny entry. I am not aware of the case to which you refer but if a person had failed to declare a drugs conviction on the application then they could feasibly be refused on the grounds that she had failed to declare it.

Whilst your response is clearly well intended I think there is a danger that people could be unnecessarily concerned over their chances of being denied entry, the fact remains that you will be allowed to enter the UK providing your visa was correctly issued, though you might still need to convince the IO that the trip is genuine and they will be leaving the UK at the conclusion of the trip.

It's worth knowing that if you are travelling to the UK with your Thai wife, she is allowed to go through passport control with you, and not wait with all the others on a foreign passport.

great stuff

Thanks of the tips.

I remember my first trip to Australia. I was on the plane filling in the immigration document and one of the questions was "do you have a criminal record". I thought that was strange - I was sure you no longer need one these days.....

My wife's first trip was into Heathrow, we had been warned that she might get a grilling but the desk we went to had a very nice blond haired lady who was more interested in Thailand than the wife's visit to the UK

She had only just got back from a 1 month holiday in Phuket

Later visits through Manchester and the Imm officers aren't half as nice, as long as your student can make him/herself understood there shouldn't be a problem if all lenght of stay, accommodation and travel details are known

It's worth knowing that if you are travelling to the UK with your Thai wife, she is allowed to go through passport control with you, and not wait with all the others on a foreign passport.

As I said earlier, my information from an IO at Heathrow is that this is an unofficial concession at the discretion of the individual IO on duty, and is unlikely to be allowed on a person's first entry with a settlement visa or any entry with a non settlement visa.

If you have information that it is in fact officially allowed, can you please provide it's source?

As said before, If traveling into the UK with your non EU partner, I'd recommend that they join the non EU queue while you go and ask the IO on duty at the EU gate.

Lancashirelad,

To add to theodgit's reply, if you still believe that a visa does not give one the right to enter the UK, can you explain why the immigration rules do not call them 'visas' but 'leave to enter' and 'entry clearance'?

The rules also lay down specific circumstances where someone who holds a valid entry clearance is to be refused entry (Para 321), and also say that an IO cannot do so on their own but must have the decision confirmed by a superior officer. (Para 10).

Definition of native 'One born in or connected with a place by birth' - it is not a racist term nor was it intended to be derogatory in any way. However if people are upset by my comment I apologise. The main aim of my comment was that people coming to the UK can be faced with Border Agency staff with strong accents. My wife has found this difficult to cope with especially after a long tiring journey and the stress of facing officialdom.