Are Tesco Lotus Prices The Same Throughout Los?

simon43

I've always assumed that prices in major superstores, such as Tesco Lotus and Big C are standardized throughout Thailand. But since relocating from Pattaya to Krabi, I have been surprised at my food bill when shopping at Tesco Lotus. What costs me about 1,500 baht in Pattaya is costing me 2,500 baht in Krabi!

I've asked local Thais and they all say that Krabi is a more expensive place to live than Phuket, although they are unable to give a reason why food and general supplies are more expensive.

Does anyone know if the superstores standardize their prices throughout their stores? And is Krabi really an expensive place to stay, or am I being targeted with farang 'triple-pricing? :)

Simon

When I lived in Samui I had my wifes gran come to stay from Isaan.

When we went to Tesco's she walked around picking things up and putting them down again quickly saying how expensive it was compared to home.

The superstores are no different to anyone else in Thailand, where there are tourists raise the prices and make what you can.

HL :)

Like all these big multi corps, their prices vary from location to location, even within the same country.

There is a reason for it, so they claim but clearly they just like to make as much money as possible, its all about the share holders. Surely you understand how that works :) .

Please direct all your complaints to the Builderberg group :D:D

All the stores report to the main office and all the stores must maintain a specific profit margin most likely set at the headquarters. It makes sense to me that if the store is located in a more remote area say Phuket or Samui or CM then the costs to get the products to those stores will be higher than say a store in Chonburi. The manager of the Phuket store must make his specified profit so he needs to increase prices to offset the higher transport costs he pays to get the products on his shelves.

I am no business major just a normal consumer but if I owned a shop in Phuket and I had to pay inflated costs to get the products I sell I would be forced to pass on those costs to the customers. If you live in Hawaii the cost for groceries is higher than on the mainland.

Woohoo, I still have a condo in Pattaya, but prefer to live in a more rural location than that 'wonderful' city. And yes, I am still contemplating a move back to Europe. But on that issue, my take-home income would be about the same as I receive whilst in Thailand. So returning to Europe is still an option, but it's not of prime urgency.

Simon