Thailand's Tourism Plunges Drastically

webfact

I am in Australia, and I am due to fly out tomorrow, 1 night in Bangkok and 9 nights in Pattaya, havent cancelled yet, but am considering it. Any thoughts??

Pattaya should be safe enough, shouldnt it?

Yes.

Life goes on as normal in Pattaya :)

Why u not fly ANGELES ? Pattaya is BULLSHIT, girls EXPENSIVE, STREETS FULL . And Pattaya is dangerous, I send you some real names from the death toll :

Osborne Paul Royal, USA, 79, , Pattaya 23.4.2010

Al Jahdhami, 48, Oman,, Pattaya 15.4.2010

Andrew Oake, 28 Prasat/ Surin, 15.4.2010

Boldermo Viktor, , Pattaya 7.4.2010

Cassmer Erich, 49, Pattaya, 27.3.2010

Anne Marie pederson, Jomtien, 11.3.2010

Nathan Edwards, , Phuket, 25.2.2010

Lars Ruter Johansson, 57, , Pattaya, 24.2.2010

Jomtien, 9.2.2010

Ernst Joachim Otto Pape, Jomtien, 8.2.2010

Alexander Aristov, Russe, Ambassador Hotel Jomtien, 6.2.2010

Richard Johnson, USA, 67, Selbstmord, Tourist Police, Phuket , 6.2.2010

Kenneth Bjorn, Pattaya, 28.1.2010

Wolf Kesselheim, Phuket, 28.1.2010

Garbutt John, British, Pattaya, 27.1.2010

ALL DEAD !

Oh my word! To start off with not all those you posted were in Pattaya. And are you suggesting the Jomtien has also died! Must have missed that one.

Would you like to compare that with similar asian tourist destinations outside of Thailand, then perhaps readers can decide if it is dangerous. Like most major tourist destinations Pattaya will have it's dangerous and no-go areas.

Can you also please give us a list of those people who have visited Pattaya for a couple of weeks and survived? Perhaps then we can get an idea of the percentage of those who have died there against those who have survived.

I must also agree with other posters on here that the Philippines is as, if not more, dangerous a place to visit for a holiday than Thailand.

Seriously, what was the point of your post.

I would also like to add my sympathies for all of those poor people and their families who you have highlighted with your post.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am sure, Thailand will find ways to keep them cumming into Thailand and spending their hard earned money.

The only good thing I can think that can come out of this is that when you have a market price controlled by supply and demand maybe everything will become cheaper for those of us still here when the tourists stop coming and demand goes down or is this just wishful thinking on my part? :)

Wishful thinking, huh? You are one self centered prick, to post something like that.

Your governemnt and mine recommend we stay away from the trouble spots so you are an absolute fool to go inside the red areas. Just imagine if you were to be hurt (intentionally or not) how it would escalate the bad news for Thailand. Grow up and act you age (assuming you are over 15!

My Government?

Actually My Government has issued a Caution and be vigilant Notice nothing more...

Also I LIVE and Work in this Area Don't assume I'm a Tourist I am a Tax paying Bangkok resident...

Perhaps you should also take your own advice and get out the Area around Soi 13? or is it you were just hit with an acute case of Verbal Diarrhoea and had to belch out your opinion?

As you posted yesterday

"I work in Suk 13 and there are LOT of quite heavily armed soldiers and police on both sides of Suk at Soi 15. Same yesterday. None at Soi 13 or 11. Does anyone know nwhy thta shouldbe please...just nosey, that's al!"

And for that matter If I or any outer Farang working and living in this Area gets hut or Killed we would barley make a side mention in the News and I doubt would make that much of a Difference in the Defamation of Thailand's Economy and Tourism.... The Reds and Government are doing a fine job of that all on there own..

Edited by dutchweller

Just returned safe and quiet!

I am in Australia, and I am due to fly out tomorrow, 1 night in Bangkok and 9 nights in Pattaya, havent cancelled yet, but am considering it. Any thoughts??

I am sure, Thailand will find ways to keep them cumming into Thailand and spending their hard earned money.

The only good thing I can think that can come out of this is that when you have a market price controlled by supply and demand maybe everything will become cheaper for those of us still here when the tourists stop coming and demand goes down or is this just wishful thinking on my part? :)

Wishful thinking, huh? You are one self centered prick, to post something like that.

Bigbore my post was in jest. I'm sorry if that went over your head :D

It appear our beloved TAT has requested a meeting with the British FO over blanket ban

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) has criticised the Foreign Office for advising against travelling to the south-east Asian country.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelne...vel-advice.html

I would love to be in that meeting. TAT "Everything is fine in Thailand, no go Bangkok as there problem nitnoy there, but your Farrang tourists be safe in Phukhet, just tell him not talk to mafia scammers " Foreign Office...." but what about people being shot on the streets?" TAT "Mibalai it's not Farrang business, no worry Bangkok same same as ever, now please send some very rich Farrang to Thailand OK mai?" :)

Sorry but either you or whoever you spoke to has got it wrong, travel insurance becomes invalid under the present advisory.

"Britons told to avoid Thailand

Travel insurance will not cover Britons who ignore Foreign Office (FO) advice to avoid all but essential travel to Thailand, travel organisation Abta said."

Here.

All I could see in what ABTA actually said was, "They should realise that should they decide to go, get caught up in an incident and get injured and have travelled knowing the Foreign Office advice, they will not be covered by insurance."

That sounds like the usual exclusion for war and riot.

The relatively high risk is that you miss your flight home due to disorder, rather than get wounded.

What happens to insurance bought under monthly premiums, like the travel insurance that comes with NatWest Advantage Gold?

Ok. I've included details of a simple policy below:

GENERAL EXCLUSIONS

The following exclusions apply to the whole of your policy.

We won’t cover you for any claim arising from, or relating to, the following.

1. A fact that has the potential to result in you needing to make a claim and which you knew

about before you travelled, unless we agreed to it in writing.

2. Travel to a destination where the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) has advised

against ‘all travel’.

Note the part where it says "The following exclusions apply to the whole of your policy" well that's the case.

The only thing I will say is that a policy such as the one above will cover you under the present travel advisory. The reason for this is that the FCO woarning for LOS is as follows:

We advise against all but essential travel to the whole of Thailand due to the increasingly volatile and tense .

The travel warning for Somalia is:

We advise against all travel to Somalia, including Somaliland. In the Southern and Central regions, there is ongoing serious violence, dangerous levels of criminal activity and general internal insecurity. We advise any British citizens in Somalia to leave.

In the above policy the caveat is you must not travel where FCO has advised against "all travel" (the quotation marks in the policy document are not mine, they are to emphasise the meaning of the term "all travel" ) so you can't travel to Somalia under that policy but can travel to Thailand. Note that in the Somalia warning the last sentence is "we advise any British citizens in Somalia to leave". If the travel advisory in Thailand is raised to "all travel" then the same will apply. If you do not then your insurance becomes invalid. Simples!!

Regarding insurance bought under monthly premiums , contains a clause that you keep up with FCO advice so no difference really.

A lot of policies, probably the majority, have the "all but essential travel" clause. For anyone who wants to try their luck the above policy is a Liverpool Victoria one.

The Tourism and Sports Ministry is seeking Bt1.6 billion to stimulate tourism in both domestic and international markets, with plans for joint promotional packages in cooperation with foreign airlines and travel agencies.

The spawn of Banharn is clever in seeking 1.6 billion at this time. Like a good little politician, I am sure he will profit from the situation and ensure that the money goes to the right hands/pockets.

What a joke !

Drop that 800,000 baht retirement extension requirement down around 300,000-500,000 and no doubt the influx would be noticeable probably putting 300-500,000 per fur'ner into economy instead of sitting in Thai banks, personally I'd land in Phuket for longtime-longtime stay ASAP no matter red shirt, yellow shirt whatever shirts <deleted> over? Its not any fur'ners concern nor should any fur'ner make it so, the Thais have to work it out, sadly it may take a lot more lives, many more years before something finally works out.

The *ONLY* thing I no like about Thailand is they have no lemons :) only limes :D

Please peace be sooner rather than later to the Thai people ...

MaiThaiMai

:D:D:D

The Tourism and Sports Ministry is seeking Bt1.6 billion to stimulate tourism in both domestic and international markets, with plans for joint promotional packages in cooperation with foreign airlines and travel agencies.

The spawn of Banharn is clever in seeking 1.6 billion at this time. Like a good little politician, I am sure he will profit from the situation and ensure that the money goes to the right hands/pockets.

What a joke !

Drop that 800,000 baht retirement extension requirement down around 300,000-500,000 and no doubt the influx would be noticeable probably putting 300-500,000 per fur'ner into economy instead of sitting in Thai banks, personally I'd land in Phuket for longtime-longtime stay ASAP no matter red shirt, yellow shirt whatever shirts <deleted> over? Its not any fur'ners concern nor should any fur'ner make it so, the Thais have to work it out, sadly it may take a lot more lives, many more years before something finally works out.

The *ONLY* thing I no like about Thailand is they have no lemons :) only limes :D

MaiThaiMai

Come to Samui - here you get lemons.

Anyhow it's a very sour situation..

I had some friends from Australia come and stay with us for a week in Chiangmai. He is caucasian and his wife is 3rd generation chinese/australian. They said the riots did not effect them but they have vowed never to return to Thailand because of what they percieve as rascism. Wherever they went he was forced to pay and his wife was not or she paid considerably less than him. He said he felt belittled and like a 2nd rate human and was charged purely on ethnic appearance. They need wide sweeping reforms to lure tourists back to Thailand and simply offering free visa is not the answer that is like putting a bandaid on a gushing chest wound it is not the answer.

Yes.

Life goes on as normal in Pattaya :)

Why u not fly ANGELES ? Pattaya is BULLSHIT, girls EXPENSIVE, STREETS FULL . And Pattaya is dangerous, I send you some real names from the death toll :

Osborne Paul Royal, USA, 79, , Pattaya 23.4.2010

Al Jahdhami, 48, Oman,, Pattaya 15.4.2010

Andrew Oake, 28 Prasat/ Surin, 15.4.2010

Boldermo Viktor, , Pattaya 7.4.2010

Cassmer Erich, 49, Pattaya, 27.3.2010

Anne Marie pederson, Jomtien, 11.3.2010

Nathan Edwards, , Phuket, 25.2.2010

Lars Ruter Johansson, 57, , Pattaya, 24.2.2010

Jomtien, 9.2.2010

Ernst Joachim Otto Pape, Jomtien, 8.2.2010

Alexander Aristov, Russe, Ambassador Hotel Jomtien, 6.2.2010

Richard Johnson, USA, 67, Selbstmord, Tourist Police, Phuket , 6.2.2010

Kenneth Bjorn, Pattaya, 28.1.2010

Wolf Kesselheim, Phuket, 28.1.2010

Garbutt John, British, Pattaya, 27.1.2010

ALL DEAD !

Well you have convinced me. Stay away from these areas.

Oh Ya....a cess-pool is all-ways safe.... :)

Phuket is quiet, the parking lot of my apartment/housing complex is deserted - at the gym at the Hilton in Karoen yesterday and it was near enough deserted also, all bad news for local traders and the like. Having said that, Marriot claims to have 50% occupancy and Burasari slightly higher, I suspect we'll soon start to see an increase in the number of break ins.

Are those scum bag tuk-tuk drivers still demanding the extortionate B200 for the shortest journey?

Can't wait to see their demise.

What a joke !

MaiThaiMai

Come to Samui - here you get lemons.

Anyhow it's a very sour situation..

Thanks for the tip, I just can't handle some of the world's best seafood without some lemons handy ...it's unconsciencable :cheesy: ...which of those two little islands is more lively/diverse? Looks like they have some reasonably priced two week vacation packages down that way ...

MaiThaiMai

A friend of mines parents were due to fly into Thailand this coming weekend.

They could not get insurance cover and their airline has refunded their flight cost.

Not an isolated story I bet.

I just saw in the locked topic 'The world on Thailand's political crisis' that some European countries have PROHIBITED their nationals from travelling to Thailand. Is this true or wrong word choice? Can someone please confirm?

A friend of mines parents were due to fly into Thailand this coming weekend.

They could not get insurance cover and their airline has refunded their flight cost.

Not an isolated story I bet.

I just saw in the locked topic 'The world on Thailand's political crisis' that some European countries have PROHIBITED their nationals from travelling to Thailand. Is this true or wrong word choice? Can someone please confirm?

The UK stopped Gary Glitter :)

Seriously, the answer must be that the word is used incorrectly. It would contravene the European Convention on Human Rights for a start.

Phuket is quiet, the parking lot of my apartment/housing complex is deserted - at the gym at the Hilton in Karoen yesterday and it was near enough deserted also, all bad news for local traders and the like. Having said that, Marriot claims to have 50% occupancy and Burasari slightly higher, I suspect we'll soon start to see an increase in the number of break ins.

Are those scum bag tuk-tuk drivers still demanding the extortionate B200 for the shortest journey?

Can't wait to see their demise.

They'll just raise it to 500 baht.

If the 'feudal system' is permitted to exist, the below pics may be the result for Thailand:

It'll be interesting to see how Thai Culture deals with a potential major loss of income, particularly when tourism is purported to be about 6% of the country's GDP.

Edited by elkangorito

really ? what a surprise ...

I guess some more businesses that depends on tourism will be RIP soon(er than a bit later)

what will be the incentive to come here with your family and possibly get killed by accident ?

come here and see the red ...???

and phuket maffia scammers must be rubbing their hands now... more people to scam with taxi, ...

following thai logic : prices in hotels and restaurants will increase (for farang only...)

I can already hear them think (kinda tick, tock) : farang, you pay more, for security

I do not hear right??

This is the LOW season and the world is in the worst recession since the birth of JC.

There is every year a downturn of tourists in the second quarter.

70% of tourist come here because of sex,either participate or oogle or enjoy the atmosphere.

Those tourist come here come rain or snow, or hail(of bullets).

Tourism with all the Shabang counts for 30 % of GNP

Agriculture for another 30%,protesting in the streets and storming Hospitals 30 %,the rest is done by beggars in the street

70% of tourist come here because of sex,either participate or oogle or enjoy the atmosphere.

Those tourist come here come rain or snow, or hail(of bullets).

Tourism with all the Shabang counts for 30 % of GNP

Agriculture for another 30%,protesting in the streets and storming Hospitals 30 %,the rest is done by beggars in the street

WOW!!! You seem to know all about tourism in Thailand. You must have a business that caters for tourists.

BTW (by the way), I love your 'figures' about GDP (GNP) etc. Where did you get these figures? Readers Digest or did you have a 'dream'?

Yeah, unless you are staying in a high rise hotel/condo then you could be a candidate for a bit of base jumping (without the parachute) :)

I am supprised there are so many still comming to Thailand "Rubber neckers" :)

I think we have to be quite about the fact tourist still go to south and enjoy the beaches. Because if the Red figure this out they will also try to destroy south tourism how small it is.

They just hate Thailand

B'cose they are from Isarn,in their own words Lao,they love to drink Lao Khao (moonshine).

Maybe it would be a good idea to seperate the whole Isarn and rejoin them with Laos, as it was a while ago,did you know that?Now U know!