Learners Permit To Drive

Does Thailand have such a thing as a learners permit to drive? If so, where do I get one. If no, what's the go?

I am teaching my wife how to drive and have been stopped at police checkpoints twice. Once costing 200bht. Apparently the policeman told her she is not allowed to learn on major roads. If this is the case how can one gain experience in lane changing, merging, overtaking and overall experience.

She is now scared to drive because of police.

Can anyone advise please?

driving on public road is illeagl without valid drivers lisence, and is not covered by any insurance. most people lear how to handle car on closed field, get lisence, and then have co driver for a while

There is a company called ID-Driver.

It is a driving school.

have no idea where in Thailand you can find them, but if you can, they are ok!

If this is the case how can one gain experience in lane changing, merging, overtaking and overall experience.

Haven't you noticed that driver on the roads generally DON'T have any experience in these basic requirements?

It's because learning is done in a car park, and then the test is conducted in a car park and then you are let loose on the major roads.

If this is the case how can one gain experience in lane changing, merging, overtaking and overall experience.

Haven't you noticed that driver on the roads generally DON'T have any experience in these basic requirements?

It's because learning is done in a car park, and then the test is conducted in a car park and then you are let loose on the major roads.

on a one year temp lisence, to learn how to behave in real traffic. some do, some dont.

my ex GF got her lisence 6 years ago, then we spent some weeks on the road. shes been doing 30-50k km a year since. actually driving good enough for me to sleep. In the backseat :):D:D

So I gather Thailand has no structure for learning how to drive. Since my initial post I've been told by Thai friends that most people in the country learn to drive in temple or school grounds. Then sit the test and those who are unsure and or have the baht, pay not to actually have to do the driving test.

Then there are the driving schools who operate in a disused carpark or similar. No doubt their intention is valid, but how the hel_l can someone consider themselves capable of driving on the open road without ever having driven on one.

I now remember once having a girl who worked for me saying she just bought a new car. I asked her if she could drive, to which she said not yet. Two days later she proudly showed me her new car. Watching her kangaroo off put a shiver up my spine.

Well doesn't this answer a previous post about standard of driving in Thailand.

Anyway I'll keep soildering on with my GF and next month she'll go for her license. Hopefully I won't need the 2,000bht I'll have ready to bribe the authorities. Shame really.

Like many 3rd World countries, Thais are taught how to operate a vehicle, they are not taught how to drive.

You learn to control your vehicle on private land, do your test on private land and walk out with a shiny 1 year 'temporary' licence with which you can drive on the roads unaccompanied.

The traffic rules part of driving is a multi-choice test, no practical application of the rules is taught or tested.

There is no requirement to have any form of training.

After a year of not killing yourself you can go and get a 'full' licence that lasts 5 years.

The OP states "Apparently the policeman told her she is not allowed to learn on major roads." Does this mean they may drive on secondary roads?

I ask because I read, and I don't remember where, that a person could operate a vehicle as a "learner" if they were with a licensed driver. Maybe someone has actual facts on this?