Spice Bottles Jam Up

paulfr

I have a few spice bottles .... black pepper, garlic salt, cinnimon.

After a few weeks/months, they jam up and the spice clumps up due to absorption of water.

I tried the old trick of putting some rice in the mix, but it did not work.

I am trying more rice now, but I am not optimistic and it makes it hard

to keep the rice from shaking out with the spice and ending up biting

into an uncooked rice grain.

Anyone else have this problem with the humid moisture of Thailand ??

I have a few spice bottles .... black pepper, garlic salt, cinnimon.

After a few weeks/months, they jam up and the spice clumps up due to absorption of water.

I tried the old trick of putting some rice in the mix, but it did not work.

I am trying more rice now, but I am not optimistic and it makes it hard

to keep the rice from shaking out with the spice and ending up biting

into an uncooked rice grain.

Anyone else have this problem with the humid moisture of Thailand ??

Good point, I'm having the same problem even with the screw lids wound down tight. :o Rice only seems to work in pure salt! Must be some chemical reason for this because alot of my collection contains salt along with the other mix?.

I've heard that strychinine is a good desicant.....NONOONONONO just kidding. I've heard that saltine cracker pieces work. Also you might try toasting the rice so that it is really really dry before putting it in to the spice bottles and then replacing it with freshly dried rice every month or so. Don't need to 'toast' it until it is brown...just heat it up and keep it warm/hot for a while to dry it out.

Or you could take the lid off and dip the spice out with a spoon.

Also don't store your rice above the stove where moisture driven off in the cooking process can infect your spices.

I don't have too much of a problem with this... maybe because our kitchen is very well ventilated with a fairly constant breeze blowing through.

When I lived in a similar humid environment before (Papua New Guinea), we used to have problems with our clothes going moldy in the wardrobe... I know, not food related but hear me out... a simple fix was to install a 40 watt incandescent light bulb and leave it turned on. The heat generated from the bulb in the enclosed space kept the air dry so mold did not have a chance to develop.

Just a thought... :o

a simple fix was to install a 40 watt incandescent light bulb and leave it turned on.  The heat generated from the bulb in the enclosed space kept the air dry so mold did not have a chance to develop.

Minor observation, Jai Dee. Unfortunately most spices need to be kept in a dark place if you wish them to stay fresh for any length of time.

The majority of the spices I have are kept in their whole form and I just grind them as needed. I have had no problems with moisture (up to now).

I suspect you could just put it out in the sun to dry for a few hours like we dry most anything else here.  Repeat as needed.

The sun drying won't work as they are clumped up pretty well.

I tried microwaving the moisture out of the garlic salt with a little success.

I think grinding the pepper is a good solution for that one.

Ahhhh life's little struggles ............

Believe jayenram is right that most people do not have or would even consider using bottled spice here. Spice has to be fresh for Thai food to taste right. I made the mistake of buying a large set of spice jars years ago and it never got any use - and only turned up nose when I tried to, unsuccessfully, cook more than a ham & cheese sandwich. :o

I always use fresh herbs when I can get them; exceptions being bay leaf and oregano.

Spices that I keep whole are: cardomom (black and green), jeera (cumin), nigella seed, coriander seed, dried red chilis, fennel seed, cloves, cinamon, mustard seed (black and white), fenugreek seed, black pepper.

Spices I keep ground are turmeric and paprika (only because I have no idea how to grind them).

I always use fresh green/red chilis, garlic and ginger.

Some advice I was given many years ago from an Indian lady is to try dry roasting whole spices before grinding them (particularly jeera and coriander seeds). A different flavour results.

I think the roasting helps bring out the "oils" in the seeds. Strangly my list of herbs and spices is very simular to yours, I'm getting some parsly seeds next time the folks are out so I can then make fresh parsley sauce, fish cakes, fish pie ect mmmmmmm

I think the roasting helps bring out the "oils" in the seeds. Strangly my list of herbs and spices is very simular to yours, I'm getting some parsly seeds next time the folks are out so I can then make fresh parsley sauce, fish cakes, fish pie ect mmmmmmm

You've got my mouth watering now!

I bought some dried parsley in Pattaya a few months ago (bloody expensive!). Once it had been opened and left for a week or so (screwed down top), I discovered that a troop of something like small woodlice was living in there. Broke my heart to chuck it away.

:o

I used to keep a tupperware box of spice jars in my fridge - just get a big fridge, it's good for make-up (for the ladies) and bottles of perfume - oh, and it can be handy for cooling beer if there's any room left.

You can get a large industrial fridge from about 4000 baht upwards - more for one that is in good condition.

I used to have a wee bakery in Chaing Mai and insects were a total nightmare - the trick is to keep on top of it all the time - never let your standards slip.

I had a friend that used to grow his own basil, handy for italian cooking, etc. I don't know where you can buy seeds in Thailand - I think he got someone to send over - but as you know this is illegal and must not be condoned! (nothing bad here Mr Moderator! :o )

Edited by Grant

I had a friend that used to grow his own basil, handy for italian cooking, etc. 

I thought basil (bai maenglak) was widely available in Thailand. Don't the Thais use it in many of their traditional dishes?

Now, I may be wrong - but I'm quite sure that there are different varieties of basil. The strain preffered for Thai cooking is more peppery than the european variety. I know that the leaves look different.

My wife buys the european stuff here (in Scotland) but does occasionally shell out for the Thai stuff - or if they're the same she maybe just likes spending money, as the Thai Basil is about 5 times the price :o

I'm sure that somebody more intelligent than me will put us right though!