webfact

SOCIAL SECURITY

Millions lack welfare coverage: govt

By Yossawadee Hongthong,

Thanongsak Meunnoo,

Duangkamon Sajirawattanakul

The Nation on Sunday

gallery_327_1086_35495.jpg

Thousands of workers march from the Royal Plaza to Sanam Luang yesterday to mark Labour Day

Plans to set up dozens of vocational health clinics by 2012

Two thirds of Thai workers - 23 million of the 37 million workforce - are not covered by the social security system, Deputy Public Health Minister Pansiri Kulanartsiri said.

More than half of all workers are at risk of occupational hazards, with about 2.9 million injured or sick annually, the minister said.

This has spurred ministry plans to set up 94 vocational health clinics by 2012, she said.

To mark May Day, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva yesterday said his administration had prepared measures to relieve the cost of living, improve workplace safety, provide appropriate welfare, coordinate with the private sector to delay plans to lay off workers, provide skills training and reinstate workers into jobs.

The period for laid-off workers to receive unemployment compensation from the Social Security Fund had been extended from 180 days to 240 days, while their social security contributions were also lowered temporarily, he said.

On Tuesday, the Labour Ministry will ask the Cabinet for Bt387 million to support businesses and workers. The government will also consider a nine-point labour demand submitted on Thursday.

The unemployment rate would be much lower than last year as the economy was recovering due to the stimulus measures of the government, he added.

Thavee Techatheerawat, chairman of the Thai Trade Union Congress, submitted the nine-point demand to Labour Minister Phaitoon Kaewthong. It includes ratification of International Labour Organisation conventions No 87 on the Freedom of Association and Protection of the Right to Organise, and No 98 on the Right to Organise and Collective Bargaining.

Ko Nai, a Burmese worker, said he hoped the two treaties would help ease their suffering from discriminatory practices such as different minimum daily wages. Thai workers get paid Bt206 while migrant workers received Bt150-160 a day, he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-05-02

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing exactly new. Why do you think if you're born into an Issan family, you're also basically your parents pension plan?

Do poor people in the south get better pensions than poor people in the north?

Edited by whybother

Nothing exactly new. Why do you think if you're born into an Issan family, you're also basically your parents pension plan?

the democrats are also instituting state pensions and free education for all. i hope when these programs are felt by peopl upcountry they will start to realise dems are not the enemy and turn away from these red shit mafia who have not even declared any real policies to help the poor.

now redshirt tv of hate is off air maybe they might get to hear about some of the good things this gov is trying to do.

387 Millions ..... We are far from what is required. In our Farang Countries Social coverage is a very significant share of the Budget just followed by Education. Should be interesting to get some statistics for comparing how the budget is shared in our Countries and Thailand?

It is a National issue for the whole population Northern and southern Thailand. But Northern Thailand is maybe a little more concerned as providing a majority of the workforce in suburb Bangkok.

This social Chapter is to be added to the Town and Country Planning, Modernisation of Agriculture, Decentralisation of Industries and Country infrastructure development Chapters which should be in the final agreement as outcome of this crisis.

the democrats are also instituting state pensions and free education for all. i hope when these programs are felt by peopl upcountry they will start to realise dems are not the enemy and turn away from these red shit mafia who have not even declared any real policies to help the poor.

now redshirt tv of hate is off air maybe they might get to hear about some of the good things this gov is trying to do.

previous administrations have been struggling with the same issue; the real question should be where is the money?, put your money where your mouth is. This also will be highly unlikely as money = taxation and the legislature is highly resistant and divided as most of the government officials are tax dodgers anyways.

387 Millions ..... We are far from what is required. In our Farang Countries Social coverage is a very significant share of the Budget just followed by Education. Should be interesting to get some statistics for comparing how the budget is shared in our Countries and Thailand?

It is a National issue for the whole population Northern and southern Thailand. But Northern Thailand is maybe a little more concerned as providing a majority of the workforce in suburb Bangkok.

This social Chapter is to be added to the Town and Country Planning, Modernisation of Agriculture, Decentralisation of Industries and Country infrastructure development Chapters which should be in the final agreement as outcome of this crisis.

I think the 382million is just for the building of the 94 health centres, not the whole social security budget.

previous administrations have been struggling with the same issue; the real question should be where is the money?, put your money where your mouth is. This also will be highly unlikely as money = taxation and the legislature is highly resistant and divided as most of the government officials are tax dodgers anyways.

Abhisit is trying to pass a land tax on landholder with over 5rai i think it is. Probably 1 of the real reason why the redshiit money rice barrons are so serious; propably why the yellowshirts arnt too keen on him either

That's the thing. It's a huge balancing act, and from the little I know, I think Abhisit has been doing a good job of it. Always keeping in mind the needs of everyone, while realizing he needs to ensure Thailand stays strong within the world's economy. You have to have a certain amount of taxation and restrictions, but not so much as to drive business and investments away. Then you always have to keep in mind the needs of your fellow countrymen, because after all, that is why you're in power. Definitely tough to balance, but I think he's done a good job.

Since this thread is about social security and before it descends into the usual red vs yellow nonsense I will ask a question.

I pay tax here and social security, I received a card that allows me to go to hospital, my staff tell me that at the hospital I will treated without paying any extra, somehow this does not sound correct to me, can anyone shed light on what is and what is not covered, or steer me to a page that explains this?

Thanks

Abhisit is trying to pass a land tax on landholder with over 5rai i think it is. Probably 1 of the real reason why the redshiit money rice barrons are so serious; propably why the yellowshirts arnt too keen on him either

The intention is right, but it will be tough to pass this law given that most politicians own large parcels of land!!

Since this thread is about social security and before it descends into the usual red vs yellow nonsense I will ask a question.

I pay tax here and social security, I received a card that allows me to go to hospital, my staff tell me that at the hospital I will treated without paying any extra, somehow this does not sound correct to me, can anyone shed light on what is and what is not covered, or steer me to a page that explains this?

Thanks

An Issan story from my direct entourage;

The Father from the Family (Nong Khai village nearby Siwilai) is directed to Khon Khaeng regional hospital for investigation and treatment: there, they diagnostic a lung cancer (He is a medium smoker), told him "treatment is too much expansive', we cannot do anything for you, go home".

The family has sold the pick up in order to buy drugs for smoothing the end life of the father and also spend the money in searching a solution through parallel medicare.....

Thanks

The Father from the Family (Nong Khai village nearby Siwilai) is directed to Khon Khaeng regional hospital for investigation and treatment: there, they diagnostic a lung cancer (He is a medium smoker), told him "treatment is too much expansive', we cannot do anything for you, go home".

The family has sold the pick up in order to buy drugs for smoothing the end life of the father and also spend the money in searching a solution through parallel medicare.....

That's the sort of thing that happens in the US too, isn't it?

edit: It doesn't happen is Aus, but we pay 1.5% income tax for Medicare.

Edited by whybother

Thanks

it will not happen in France because expenses linked to a cancer are reimbursed at 100% and hospitals keep people until the end providing drugs for at least reducing pains so that people can die with dignity.

Edited by Jerrytheyoung

I think the 382million is just for the building of the 94 health centres, not the whole social security budget.

unfortunately you are probably true....

One day a high level academic (a "sherpa" preparing government files) told me that unfortunately it was the culture of Thai administration:

- to make imposant building because it is symbol of Power.

- then after to equip the offices of the Directors with nice furnitures, carpets...as a foundation of their respectability

Then after....???....Unfortunately a large part of the buildings are unused and there is no budget for maintenance.

But local contractors -on the good side- have benefited .....

He was pesting about all that

Thanks

it will not happen in France because expenses linked to a cancer are reimbursed at 100% and hospitals keep people until the end providing drugs for at least reducing pains so that people can die with dignity.

Basically, full health care costs a hel_l of a lot of money. It is not something that the Thai government (any, not just this one) can bring in without a lot of planning and new taxes.

Even then, there will be a line drawn, where some treatments will still need to be paid by the patient and would not be covered by the government. At the moment, with "free" health care, that line is VERY low.

Basically, full health care costs a hel_l of a lot of money. It is not something that the Thai government (any, not just this one) can bring in without a lot of planning and new taxes.

Even then, there will be a line drawn, where some treatments will still need to be paid by the patient and would not be covered by the government. At the moment, with "free" health care, that line is VERY low.

Exactly the line is very low. Can somebody give us an idea on the current sharing of the Thai budget? How much is spent in "developing infrastructures around Bangkok"? How much is spent in Healthcare?

Edited by Jerrytheyoung

i think that within the next 20-50 years in countrys with universal health care such as britian and france will have to start drawing the lines lower as costs spiral. I expect that new provision rules equating quality of life delivered and length of time provided versus cost will be implemented meaning many hugely expensive cancer treatments where only a few more months in a decrebid and sick state and such will nolonger be available; i also expect peoples own life style choices maybe to effect the treatment they are entitled to for free, for example smokers having to pay for their own cancer treatments or obsese for diabeties.

Exactly the line is very low. Can somebody give us an idea on the current sharing of the Thai budget? How much is spent in "developing infrastructures around Bangkok"? How much is spent in Healthcare?

You're right. Don't think too much of the healthcare systems in the USA or Europe. The new and most expensive medicines, especially against cancer won't be used because of the price. There also is always a waiting list, when it's your turn you may be dead.

In countries like the UK with free healthcare the more wealthy people go to a private hospital for decent healthcare.

Everywhere the same: if you want the best treatment and live longer you have to pay.

The present 30 baht/free card is used at the hospital to which the holder is assigned, if that facility cannot provide treatment the patient can be given written notice of same and referred to the nearest Government hospital who can. The diagnoses will be confirmed and treatment recommended will be given by the latter health center/hospital. The need for additional health center construction is beyond me, as they would be no more equipped to handle major health problems than the present village hospitals. The present government has approached the recognized problems and has offered several solutions for funding, taxes, diversion of funds presently collected, etc. I do not remember the proposal to build additional health clinics being one of them. This is the same ministry who has bumbled on about the mental health problems caused by the red shirt demonstrations, the prolonged drought, alcohol sales time, etc, etc.

If every ministry/individual who perceived and broadcast a lack of government/private services/welfare was required to submit a funding proposal with their request for additional facilities, personal, etc, we may see a little educated research and thought put in writing along with the Xmas wish lists.

Thanks

Except France is a de facto Communist country. It is moving backwards faster than the Philippines. With a philanderer like Sarkozy I am not surprised. Good for wines and cheese though! :)

:D :D self-interest always win in politics and those with money will always use others to spin for them -whether it be the red shirts, yellows or whoever.

same same everywhere in the world.

...and most of these robber barons can do "wonders" from very far away ...be it nicarauga,mexico, monte negro or dubai or even the "jungles" in any continent.

no money, no honey...

...with plenty of money, many will be willing "monkeys" to do the robber barons' biddings. :):D :D :D

Abhisit's proposals are scattered and too little, too late.

He, as well as other leaders including Thaksin, should have put together programs to support poor people long ago.

And this does NOT include free handouts!

free education for all alone is a huge leap forward, through education poor people can lift themselves out of poverty rather than rely on hand outs and the support of the local pui yai, another one of the real reason red leaders are attempting to bring down the government.

Mr A is trying to do all these things now, his gov has only been in power a short time, how could he have done uch things long ago? he's still trying to do this for the good of all counrty despite many of those who would benifit actualy rallying against him, many a politician could wel of thought fuc_kem, they dont pay any taxes why should we spend money on them

...not forgetting that every isaan child has a sponsoshipr hope from a farang somewhere out there when that child grow up .... :)

Do poor people in the south get better pensions than poor people in the north?

no.

poor northerners get more farang sponsors than their southern cousins who get more crumbs..... :)

Should newspapers report news? or should we have some incredibly interesting articles like "Elephants can't fly"...or maybe "Poverty not yet eradicated in sub-Saharan Africa"..or maybe "The Pope is a Catholic"....nice to see intrepid journalism thriving....or maybe I just got out of the wrong side of the bed and am being grumpy?

you musty be kidding