Flies! Reminds Me Of ---

bdenner

We covered the ANT subject pretty well in an earlier thread but here is another problem for this time of the year: --- Flies ---

Being where I’m located in upper Isaan we are fortunate that mossies and a lot of other flying or crawling insects are not a worry, all year round, but we are having a real problem with FLIES.

Currently my friends and I are using this green substance, roughly translated “Fly Glue”, in a 27 gram bottle with yellow label – 15 Baht – wrapped around small bamboo sticks. It attracts heaps of them and they stick to it, very much like “Shit to a Blanket” or the olde “Fly Paper” (for those that don’t know, it looked like a roll of Kodak film pulled out with this sticky glue on it). Anyway, we know the scenario:- kill one fly and three come to commiserate. :o

Me --- I can handle it. My British friends are having a problem. Is there a better way or should I just tell em to save their frustration for the up and coming ashes series? :D

Last week Mrs TizMe bought a fly trap that she puts a bit of rotting octopus in. The flys go in but cant get back out.

I'm not convinced though. I also think that for every fly that goes in 3 of his mates turn up to laugh at him through the clear plastic.

We covered the ANT subject pretty well in an earlier thread but here is another problem for this time of the year: --- Flies ---

Being where I’m located in upper Isaan we are fortunate that mossies and a lot of other flying or crawling insects are not a worry, all year round, but we are having a real problem with FLIES.

Currently my friends and I are using this green substance, roughly translated “Fly Glue”, in a 27 gram bottle with yellow label – 15 Baht – wrapped around small bamboo sticks. It attracts heaps of them and they stick to it, very much like “Shit to a Blanket” or the olde “Fly Paper” (for those that don’t know, it looked like a roll of Kodak film pulled out with this sticky glue on it). Anyway, we know the scenario:- kill one fly and three come to commiserate. :D

Me --- I can handle it. My British friends are having a problem. Is there a better way or should I just tell em to save their frustration for the up and coming ashes series? :D

tell them that if they pour water over their bodies more than once a week it may help and introduce them to the concept of using soap :o

That green "fly glue" is fantastic stuff... only problem is "mair" kept thowing the sticks away... :D

Another useful tool is the trusty fly swat.... I have found that if you go on a killing spree with your fly swat, the flies will actually stay away for a bit... well it worked for me. :o

totster :D

I'm not convinced though. I also think that for every fly that goes in 3 of his mates turn up to laugh at him through the clear plastic.

Classic!!! :D

I think that the Isaan fly problem may also be attributed to the village lifestyle... the practice of throwing foodscraps on the dirt... chucking the cooking oil outside... never cleaning the buffalo and cow sh1t off the roads... these all contribute to providing an environment that flies are attracted to. :D

I'm sure that you've observed that the flies are not in the same proportions in larger cities like Udon Thani or Khon Kaen... :o

Classic!!! :D

I think that the Isaan fly problem may also be attributed to the village lifestyle... the practice of throwing foodscraps on the dirt... chucking the cooking oil outside... never cleaning the buffalo and cow sh1t off the roads... these all contribute to providing an environment that flies are attracted to. :D

I'm sure that you've observed that the flies are not in the same proportions in larger cities like Udon Thani or Khon Kaen... :o

I'm not to sure about that as I think there is just as much rubbish around in town as country, but you are definatly right in that the urban areas seem to suffer less with flies, I'm just not sure that I agree on why.

Here there is a definate "fly" season and its bad, they are a real pain, as you might imagine with about 100 head of cattle, there is plenty of sh1t around, although thes year its not as bad as prevoius years and we have moved the farm.

As some of you may know fly is "maleng wan" (losley "day insect") in thai....where do they all go in the night, have you ever seen a sleeping fly?

Here there is a definate "fly" season and its bad, they are a real pain, as you might imagine with about 100 head of cattle, there is plenty of sh1t around, although thes year its not as bad as prevoius years and we have moved the farm.

Do we have dung beetles in Thailand?

The flies were so bad at the driving range the other day that my *chang* bottle had atleast 10 flies in it before I got the sweet nectar to my lips. The staff brought one of the fly glue sticks over which promptly fell over landing on my arm :D

Anyone know how to get that green stuff off? :o

Currently my friends and I are using this green substance, roughly translated “Fly Glue”, in a 27 gram bottle with yellow label – 15 Baht – wrapped around small bamboo sticks. It attracts heaps of them and they stick to it, very much like “Shit to a Blanket” or the olde “Fly Paper” (for those that don’t know, it looked like a roll of Kodak film pulled out with this sticky glue on it). Anyway, we know the scenario:- kill one fly and three come to commiserate. :o

With a vocabulary like that I would guess you an oz.