Farangs Wearing Amulets

OK, to start off, I am a little biased against foreigners trying to act like they are locals in any culture.

Probably the most ridiculous people I have ever witnessed were Westerners in Ubud Bali dressed out costume-like in full Balinese dress, acting like they didn't look like the poseurs that they were. As ridiculous as they looked to me, I assumed they looked even more silly to the locals.

OK, back to the subject of farangs wearing amulets.

I have been impressed to notice that the majority of such people I have seen seem to be pulling it off without looking ridiculous.

They are usually older men and give the impression of having been in Thailand for a mightly long time. I feel happy for them that they can pull this off.

What's your secret, powerful farang senior amulet wearers?

I wai very high before your esteemed presence.

OK, to start off, I am a little biased against foreigners trying to act like they are locals in any culture.

Probably the most ridiculous people I have ever witnessed were Westerners in Ubud Bali dressed out costume-like in full Balinese dress, acting like they didn't look like the poseurs that they were. As ridiculous as they looked to me, I assumed they looked even more silly to the locals.

OK, back to the subject of farangs wearing amulets.

I have been impressed to notice that the majority of such people I have seen seem to be pulling it off without looking ridiculous.

They are usually older men and give the impression of having been in Thailand for a mightly long time. I feel happy for them that they can pull this off.

I have a feeling you are trying to make a point, but I'm unsure what it is...! :D

I have a few amulets given to me by a few people. I have a small one given to me by a monk which I wear most of the time, it is small and more of a necklace with an image than a proper amulet.

I also have another proper amulet which was given to me by a good friend of my wife and her family (who is also a good friend of mine now). When I return to Thailand I will have a gold chain and casing made for it which I will wear. I now have the amulet with me in the UK.

I don't think I will look ridiculous when wearing this amulet, however I will keep it inside my clothing, not because of how it looks, just simply for security. Luckily I don't care if some jumped up <deleted> thinks I look ridiculous anyway.. :o

totster :D

• Like 1

I also wear amulets mostly given to me by my wife but one was given to me by a forest monk. They are on a nylon cord (no gold) and my favourite I showed to the stewards on a Thai flight one day and they explained that it was a fairly powerful one and gave me good protection.

They are with me and I wear them daily here in Pakistan and also at home in Thailand but if I am just around the house they stay up by the house Buddha.

They have no real value but are pricelees to me because of where they came from.

Most of the local people where I live have no negative opinion and some seem to appreciate my wearing the amulets.

If I may steal part of a quote from Totster

I don't think I will look ridiculous when wearing this amulet, however I will keep it inside my clothing, not because of how it looks, just simply for security. Luckily I don't care if some jumped up <deleted> thinks I look ridiculous anyway..

Edited by billd766

I have been in and out of Thailand for forty years, and, no, it ain't been a day too long! Family commitments keep me on the yo-yo trip, but every visit, at least once a year, often more, I have been given amulets by family members. I have so many I could never get them all round my neck, so, they, as with the previous posters, stay with the house buddha.

They are all very very special, being given, if not with love, always from the heart, and each and every one is a treasured possession.

The latest addition was given to me by my grandson. and he carved it himself from a slivver of teak. His next little suprise was my introduction to my great-grandson!

They are my treasure, and I am proud to show them off. But I do not wear them as a badge! But I do wear them with pride. :o

• Like 1

I was given one from a brother inlaw in Bangkok and another one from a brother inlaw in prachin buri. Depending on where I am at determines which one I wear.

I wear it as a sign of respect to them. One is of the amulets is suppose to make me rich. I have been waiting about 9 years for this to happen :o

I think alot of farangs are given these amulets from wife/tg families.

I get alot of complements from thai people when they see me wearing the amulets.

It's not a badge of courage or trying to make me fit in as a local, just pure respect for the person who gave it to me.

PKG

Yes I too have one from the family.

Its only those pratts in pattaya with two around their neck with 3 bar gold that look like the tryhards they are :D

I was given one from a brother inlaw in Bangkok and another one from a brother inlaw in prachin buri. Depending on where I am at determines which one I wear.

I wear it as a sign of respect to them.  One is of the amulets is suppose to make me rich. I have been waiting about 9 years for this to happen :o

I think alot of farangs are given these amulets from wife/tg families.

I get alot of complements from thai people when they see me wearing the amulets.

It's not a badge of courage or trying to make me fit in as a local, just pure respect for the person who gave it to me.

PKG

OK, to start off, I am a little [prick]

Okay, here is the secret you desire to be revealed ...

Be a well-liked, well-regarded friend, and you, too, will receive an amulet someday.

If you have trouble with that, lessons are available. Ask around the wat :o

Its only those pratts in pattaya with two around their neck with 3 bar gold that look like the tryhards they are :D

That's a bit harsh.... I'm sure not all farang in pattaya are "tryhards" and "pratts" as you put it.

I agree there are some, but they are not all based in Pattaya.. :o

Edited by Totster

Ok

True

But anyone wearing two amulets or more with three bar gold in public anywhere in thailand is looking for a motorcycle snatch.

Just see more of them in Pattaya for some strange reason.

That's a bit harsh.... I'm sure not all farang in pattaya are "tryhards" and "pratts" as you put it.

I agree there are some, but they are not all based in Pattaya.. :o

Ok

True

But anyone wearing two amulets  or more with three bar gold in public anywhere in thailand is looking for a motorcycle snatch.

Just see more of them in Pattaya for some strange reason.

Well.... Som Num Naaaa for them..... :o

I have just one which I wear especially while traveling and look at it as something similar to a St. Chistopher.

Was offered a couple of 'goo man tong" (two boys) several years ago but the wife said absolutely not!

Bad ju ju or something. :o

Edited by Boon Mee

I also wear amulets mostly given to me by my wife but one was given to me by a forest monk. They are on a nylon cord (no gold) and my favourite I showed to the stewards on a Thai flight one day and they explained that it was a fairly powerful one and gave me good protection.

They are with me and I wear them daily here in Pakistan and also at home in Thailand but if I am just around the house they stay up by the house Buddha.

They have no real value but are pricelees to me because of where they came from.

Most of the local people where I live have no negative opinion and some seem to appreciate my wearing the amulets.

If I may steal part of a  quote from Totster

I don't think I will look ridiculous when wearing this amulet, however I will keep it inside my clothing, not because of how it looks, just simply for security. Luckily I don't care if some jumped up <deleted> thinks I look ridiculous anyway..

There is no general rule but on the whole farangs wearing amulets -openly on display - look completely absurd although Thais are usually too polite to point this out.Often relative newcomers in a Thailand "honeymoon phase" , which sometimes can last for years, wear them but put them aside when they are a bit more clued up.Having said that, there are a few long term resident farang I know who wear them for sentimental reasons but never on display.Without wishing to be unkind the type of farang who solicits opinions from Thai Inter stewards is probably the type who would wear amulets, ie without any idea of context,significance or meaning.

I was given a couple excellent, pretty old amulets by my oldest brother-in-law and I treasure them. One I wear every day, but under my shirt as others have said. I feel it is out of respect for the gift and what it represents that I wear it. My wife has often commented that she is very pleased with the respect I show it, taking it off every night and placing it in a special place on the dresser.

There is no general rule but on the whole farangs wearing amulets -openly on display - look completely absurd although Thais are usually too polite to point this out.Often relative newcomers in a Thailand "honeymoon phase" , which sometimes can last for years, wear them but put them aside when they are a bit more clued up.Having said that, there are a few long term resident farang I know who wear them for sentimental reasons but never on display.Without wishing to be unkind the type of farang who solicits opinions from Thai Inter stewards is probably the type who would wear amulets, ie without any idea of context,significance or meaning.

Personally I dont wear them(or any jewelry) and my family and friends know this so would unlikly give me one as a gift. Some of my falang friends wear them and have always had positive comments off thais while they have visited me so I dont think they are just being "too polite". I also know Billd766 and I think you are wrong in your assumptions.

RC

Irrespective of Thai or farang, I dont think they look very nice. I also have a bit of a problem with superstition when it starts to rule people's lives too much. Therefore, I would never wear or "rent" one myself, unless, as has been said above, it was a gift from a person I respect or love.

Live and let wear.

Therefore, I would never wear or "rent" one myself, unless, as has been said above, it was a gift from a person I respect or love.

Mine was a gift from a person I respect and love. :D

I wear it (inside my shirt) with pride and respect. My other Thai friends and work colleagues have all asked to see it, and all have nodded their approval.

It's actually a 1 baht coin from King Rama V's reign... a rare coin with the Erawan (triple headed elephant) on one side and King Chulalongkorn on the other side, all enclosed in gold and glass.

I do not consider myself to be a "powerful farang senior amulet wearer" as I am not fond of wearing any adornment or jewellry (except for my watch). t was given to me by a loved one for protection, and I wear it every day... and although I am not a superstitious person, I must admit I have had a lot of luck whilst driving here. :o

Superstitious? Dunno... but it seems to work for me.

:D

No real need to comment on the above. Know people and try not to generalise.

I wear a silver buddha on a chain inside my clothes, i was given it by a begger in the street because i gave them 40 baht. I bought the silver chain at a later date and wife suggested i wear it as it would bring good luck, it seems to be working as well.

I also understand from my wife it is bad luck to purchase one of these for yourself, it should always be bought for you or given to you. It is also my understanding even numbers of amulets/buddhas are bad luck, it should always be an odd number.

And i like totster and others dont care if people think i am a <deleted> for wearing it, if they want to come and say that to my chest because unless you are 6"8 you wont be saying it to my face :o then fine you can feel what a <deleted> is like when i land one on you :D

I wear a silver buddha on a chain inside my clothes, i was given it by a begger in the street because i gave them 40 baht. I bought the silver chain at a later date and wife suggested i wear it as it would bring good luck, it seems to be working as well.

I also understand from my wife it is bad luck to purchase one of these for yourself, it should always be bought for you or given to you. It is also my understanding even numbers of amulets/buddhas are bad luck, it should always be an odd number.

And i like totster and others  dont care if people think i am a <deleted> for wearing it, if they want to come and say that to my chest because unless you are 6"8 you wont be saying it to my face :o  then fine you can feel what a <deleted> is like when i land one on you :D

I think that last paragraph more or less defines the type.

And i like totster and others  dont care if people think i am a <deleted> for wearing it, if they want to come and say that to my chest because unless you are 6"8 you wont be saying it to my face :o  then fine you can feel what a <deleted> is like when i land one on you :D

I think that last paragraph more or less defines the type.

If you actually looked at the smiley at the end you would have seen it was meant as a joke and not to be taken seriously :D

Edited by daleyboy

I thought I'd just mention that Buddhist amulets are not really for protection... They are simply to remind one of the Buddhist Dharma (teachings/customs). I wear one inside my shirt. and sometimes when I'm feeling a bit uncentered, ie, I want to beat the crap out of someone, Just touching it reminds me of a better way to live, and it calms my savage breast :o

I appreciate all the perspectives given about amulet wearing.

If I am lucky enough to be given a nice amulet, I wouldn't mind having a go at wearing it. And no, people should do what they feel like and not worry what people think so much.

To the poster who asked if I am trying to make a point, well, perhaps my point is that personally I was surprised that I usually don't find farang wearing amulets to look ridiculous when I EXPECTED to.

Those white hippie blokes in dresses in Bali still look ridiculous, always will.

Edited by Thaiquila

I appreciate all the perspectives given about amulet wearing.

If I am lucky enough to be given a nice amulet, I wouldn't mind having a go at wearing it. And no, people should do what they feel like and not worry what people think so much.

Good on you Thaiquila. :o

I think that the "powerful farang senior amulet wearers" that publicly flaunt their 10 baht chain and multiple amulets you mention in the OP may be the type of person you would possibly never meet on ThaiVisa... usually found hunting... in bars. I also know the type. :D

To the poster who asked if I am trying to make a point, well, perhaps my point is that personally I was surprised that I usually don't find farang wearing amulets to look ridiculous when I EXPECTED to.

Ah...ok..

I just wasn't sure whether you were having a bit of a dig, it wasn't very clear what you actually meant.... apologies. :o

There is no general rule but on the whole farangs wearing amulets -openly on display - look completely absurd although Thais are usually too polite to point this out.

I don't understand why a farang wearing an amulet openly and on display is any more that a Thai person doing so? Do the Thais have some special rights when it's comes to buddhism? :o

As a matter of fact it's a timely topic for me as after years in Thailand I have just got my first buddhist amulet, given to me by my gf's grandma, it's meant to be good for business and working hard and certainly not an expensive amulet but given to me with a good heart and I will use it as a reminder to work that bit harder and maybe I can get some good luck from it, who knows. :D

I keep it discreetly under my clothes, and will wear it everyday, and it will not be shown off to show how at one I have become in Thailand or any such crap like that.

Edited by bkkmadness

There is no general rule but on the whole farangs wearing amulets -openly on display - look completely absurd although Thais are usually too polite to point this out.

I don't understand why a farang wearing an amulet openly and on display is any more that a Thai person doing so? Do the Thais have some special rights when it's comes to buddhism? :o

It seems to be a typical thai thing. I've worked for a while with Sri Lankans most of whom were Buddist (except for a few Tamils) but you never saw them wearing typical buddist amulets as you see in Thailand.