Farangs Wearing Amulets

I'm over 46 and I wear one that was placed around my neck by my mother-in -law when my wife and I were married. It is always under my shirt and I wear it out of respect and pride as being accepted into their culture.

The punks that want to wear gold chains like disco coke spoons or gold $ signs around their neck, are just bitches wherever you are. All you need to do is see to know the difference as to why some people can "pull it off" and others look like morons.....

My wife gave me a neckless on our first wedding anniversery, it does'nt have an amulet, it's more of a decorative piece with "barrels" on it and tiny painted love hearts. Not brash in the least very beautiful and i love it. Always placed discretley under my top though!

It's made from yellow gold, what is that exactley?

OK, to start off, I am a little biased against foreigners trying to act like they are locals in any culture.

Probably the most ridiculous people I have ever witnessed were Westerners in Ubud Bali dressed out costume-like in full Balinese dress, acting like they didn't look like the poseurs that they were. As ridiculous as they looked to me, I assumed they looked even more silly to the locals.

OK, back to the subject of farangs wearing amulets.

I have been impressed to notice that the majority of such people I have seen seem to be pulling it off without looking ridiculous.

They are usually older men and give the impression of having been in Thailand for a mightly long time. I feel happy for them that they can pull this off.

What's your secret, powerful farang senior amulet wearers?

I wai very high before your esteemed presence.

Can't we all just get along? Nevermind what the other guy is wearing, focus on yourself.

Does it really make a difference to you? Thailand is a place where "foreigners" come for many reasons.

One, is for escape. To be able to get away from the misperceptions they may have had back "home".

That means, all the traditions and the cultura affairs, etc....so, if a guy wants to "play Thai", let him.

It's not our place to disallow, or to bash them. You may have your opinion, but it's proper to

keep it to yourself......otherwise......you get what you deserve, a lesson from all these other fine

gentlemen on this thread. A simple response. Now, go enjoy the weather!!

I see no real problem with people wearing amulets.

I don't wear them myself as I think they look a bit ridiculous on me.

I am also not interested in that aspect of Buddhism.

I do have a collection of a few, given to me over the years, lying around the house.

They probably are just as lucky for me there as around my neck.

1. Thou shalt not wear flip flops in the public

2. Thou shalt not wear a yellow t-shirt

3. Thou shalt not consort with a member of the opposite sex, unless she has white skin and has a university degree (preferably a princess)

4. Thou shalt not hold hands in public with your loved one

5. Thou shalt not wear graven symbols or anything else of Thai origin on thy body

6. If thou are a member of Thai Whinging (sorry Thai Visa) thou shalt moan and complain and whinge about everything Thai

7. Thou shalt agree that Thai women are all gold diggers. Double true if she comes from Isaan, unless she has white skin and a university degree and/ or has royal blood.

8. Thou shalt not take thy Isaan girlfriend or wife shopping at the Emporium

Well, I got tired of it all after only 8 commandments. But this seems to be the "rules" some of you think we all should adhere to. Luckilly you don't have to follow any of these. Just be yourself, and enjoy Thailand. Let the whingers and complainers bathe in their self rightious twatness. :o

What a stupid thread anyway.

Does the OP expect Thais going to his country to wear their national dress?

How many years of living in Thailand will it take until I can wear a pair of Thai jeans instead of this bloody kilt?

I don't know Neeranam, I'll bet your legs look quite good in that kilt :o

OK, to start off, I am a little biased against foreigners trying to act like they are locals in any culture.

Probably the most ridiculous people I have ever witnessed were Westerners in Ubud Bali dressed out costume-like in full Balinese dress, acting like they didn't look like the poseurs that they were. As ridiculous as they looked to me, I assumed they looked even more silly to the locals.

OK, back to the subject of farangs wearing amulets.

I have been impressed to notice that the majority of such people I have seen seem to be pulling it off without looking ridiculous.

They are usually older men and give the impression of having been in Thailand for a mightly long time. I feel happy for them that they can pull this off.

What's your secret, powerful farang senior amulet wearers?

I wai very high before your esteemed presence.

What about farangs wearing amulets not in Thailand? I wear mine everyday. My wife, before she was my wife gave me the amulet to wear. I knew that was a sign of how much she cared giving me this family heirloom from her grandmothers funeral. So, when I asked to marry her I knew she would say yes. So, now I wear my wedding and the amulet everyday as symbols of my wife's love for me and my vows as well as the Buddhist beliefs I have come to rely on.

Does this make me a poseur?

My in-laws are very happy I wear the amulet and very happy I am a Buddhist. They really want us to find some time to visit Thailand so that a proper Thai wedding can be held. It would be years late, but I think my wife still might like. Should I avoid the traditional dress? If they want me to wear this amulet and dress up in traditional dress for a wedding, do they think me poseur? Would I not insult them if I said I wasn't going to play along because I am farang, which would be what, I am too good to wear such things? Too educated to wear such trinkets? I don't see what the problem is with dressing up.

My wife gave me a neckless on our first wedding anniversery, it does'nt have an amulet, it's more of a decorative piece with "barrels" on it and tiny painted love hearts. Not brash in the least very beautiful and i love it. Always placed discretley under my top though!

It's made from yellow gold, what is that exactley?

22K, the good stuff. :o

I too wear an amulet given to me many years ago by a cherished friend. It has and always will be something I just discretely wear out of habit everyday. In no way do I consider it a symbol of physical protection or religious belief.

:o The path to enlightenment or redemption from sin lies in careful study and adherence to the sage advice one gains from the insightful posts on the TV Forum!

3. Thou shalt not consort with a member of the opposite sex, unless she has white skin and has a university degree (preferably a princess)

5. Thou shalt not wear graven symbols or anything else of Thai origin on thy body

6. If thou are a member of Thai Whinging (sorry Thai Visa) thou shalt moan and complain and whinge about everything Thai

7. Thou shalt agree that Thai women are all gold diggers. Double true if she comes from Isaan, unless she has white skin and a university degree and/ or has royal blood.

Well, I got tired of it all after only 8 commandments. But this seems to be the "rules" some of you think we all should adhere to. Luckilly you don't have to follow any of these. Just be yourself, and enjoy Thailand. Let the whingers and complainers bathe in their self rightious twatness. :o

Now this is a great post, it should be adopted as the "guidlines", then maybe all the posts that go over the same old things may wither away.

If I may so bold as to add a couple,

9. Thou shall not be farang and over weight at the same time.

10. Thou shall not be farang and bald at the same time.

11. If thou are farang, bald, over weight and wrinkled, with a grievance you voice, thou will be directed back to ones own country.

Now then, if we could all abide by the rules please.

Well, I got tired of it all after only 8 commandments. But this seems to be the "rules" some of you think we all should adhere to. Luckilly you don't have to follow any of these. Just be yourself, and enjoy Thailand. Let the whingers and complainers bathe in their self rightious twatness. :D

Now this is a great post, it should be adopted as the "guidlines", then maybe all the posts that go over the same old things may wither away.

If I may so bold as to add a couple,

9. Thou shall not be farang and over weight at the same time.

10. Thou shall not be farang and bald at the same time.

11. If thou are farang, bald, over weight and wrinkled, with a grievance you voice, thou will be directed back to ones own country.

Now then, if we could all abide by the rules please.

i started a post the other day on a similar line and it was closed after 24 minutes. Perhaps the discussion of buddha amulets is giving this thread more karma :o

I don't have a lot of respect for anyone in any culture that believes in and wears lucky charms. That goes double for the farangs who make a big show about wearing chunky amulets here. The few times I have been in Pattaya I was astounded at the number of seemingly devoutly Buddhist farangs walking around the beer bars, with open shirts and gaudy gold amulets. Complete ######s!

BTW, can anyone here provide us with any Buddhist scripture prescribing any of the idol worshiping aspects that are so common here and elsewhere? Worshiping statues and images and wearing lucky charms, what page was that on?

BTW, can anyone here provide us with any Buddhist scripture prescribing any of the idol worshiping aspects that are so common here and elsewhere? Worshiping statues and images and wearing lucky charms, what page was that on?

Amulets and images are not, (or at least should not), used for idol worship. They are to help you focus your thoughts in the right direction. I am sure this has already been mentioned in an earlier post.

Slightly off topic, does anyone reading this thread have a thai husband/wife and a baby. If so, do they, like my wife, insist in pinning an amulet on their baby's top before they go to sleep or before they travel?

Amulets and images are not, (or at least should not), used for idol worship. They are to help you focus your thoughts in the right direction. I am sure this has already been mentioned in an earlier post.

It may well have been mentioned earlier, but it is a non-answer to the question I raised. Please read it again, and if you can find any support for that in Buddhist scripture please let me know. Your 'focus thought's excuse is about as plausible as the excuse that people are 'renting' the amulets and not buying them. There may indeed be people who buy them to 'focus their thoughts', but from what I have seen they would be a very small minority in Thailand. Amulet selling has become a huge business here for both businesses, individuals, and temples, and the reams of magazines devoted to letting readers know how rare their amulets are/or the special protection and other features they possess, etc. & etc. Do the more expensive amulets help focus thoughts better?

Edited by qualtrough

My son was given 3 different amulets this past August when we brought him over to meet the family. His nanny gave him a gold coin with engravings of the king & queen encased in glass on a gold chain, a chinese/thai jeweller friend of my husbands gave him a gold & bead chain supposed to bring prosperity & he also got another gold pendant from nan with an engraved image of the yolay(sp?) temple on it.

I had to carry these on me for him, whilst we were in country & esp. whilst travelling & his nan instisted that he sleep with the king & yolay amulets above his head so we fixed up a nail above his crib.

Here is a couple of pics of him wearing one of them :o

Now we are back home they have all been placed on the buddha shelf my husband has set up as he too never wears his amulets & will only pin one in the inside of his shirt when we travel.

post-1041-1192306462_thumb.jpg

post-1041-1192306535_thumb.jpg

My son was given 3 different amulets this past August when we brought him over to meet the family. His nanny gave him a gold coin with engravings of the king & queen encased in glass on a gold chain, a chinese/thai jeweller friend of my husbands gave him a gold & bead chain supposed to bring prosperity & he also got another gold pendant from nan with an engraved image of the yolay(sp?) temple on it.

I had to carry these on me for him, whilst we were in country & esp. whilst travelling & his nan instisted that he sleep with the king & yolay amulets above his head so we fixed up a nail above his crib.

Here is a couple of pics of him wearing one of them :D

Now we are back home they have all been placed on the buddha shelf my husband has set up as he too never wears his amulets & will only pin one in the inside of his shirt when we travel.

He's a lovely looking lad but i have to worry. Very short hair, no shirt. Is he one of the lads previously mentioned in this thread hanging around bars in pattaya? :o

LOL he did go to pattaya with me & the hubby & he did seem to be quite popular with the ladies working the bars in walking street!!! :D And he is half British, oh no :o all he needs is a bottle of chang & a couple of tattoos !!