Farangs Wearing Amulets

I have an amulet hanging from the rear vision mirror in the car. I believe that it is the Thai equivelant of the St. Christophers medal.It was given to me by a Thai lady the day after i bought my first car in Thailand. She told me that it was very dangerous driving on the roads in Thailand and that i should have this amulet in the car at all times.

Over the years i have driven many kms on Thai roads and never had an accident ,so obviously it works.

I have an amulet hanging from the rear vision mirror in the car. I believe that it is the Thai equivelant of the St. Christophers medal.It was given to me by a Thai lady the day after i bought my first car in Thailand. She told me that it was very dangerous driving on the roads in Thailand and that i should have this amulet in the car at all times.

Over the years i have driven many kms on Thai roads and never had an accident ,so obviously it works.

Slightly off topic but following that line of thought, I too have a small Buddha in a glass housing that is mounted on the dashboard of my car, as well as a couple of other small Buddhas and some string in the centre console. All were put in the car by my better half, and she was praying when she placed them in the car. She also prays to the Buddha whenever we head off on a long trip together in the car.

I too have never had an accident whilst driving in Thailand, but I've had some very close shaves.

Lucky or not, I respect the gesture behind the giving of such amulets, Buddhas, string etc... as it is given from the heart.

:o

I think that the "powerful farang senior amulet wearers" that publicly flaunt their 10 baht chain and multiple amulets you mention in the OP may be the type of person you would possibly never meet on ThaiVisa... usually found hunting... in bars.  I also know the type. :o

What do you mean "would possibly never meet on ThaiVisa"? Sounds very like the typical ThaiVisa punter profile to me.

I think that the "powerful farang senior amulet wearers" that publicly flaunt their 10 baht chain and multiple amulets you mention in the OP may be the type of person you would possibly never meet on ThaiVisa... usually found hunting... in bars.  I also know the type. :o

What do you mean "would possibly never meet on ThaiVisa"? Sounds very like the typical ThaiVisa punter profile to me.

Been lookin' in the mirror there have you, Boris? :D

Its funny i have read quite a few of Doris's posts and they always seem to be putting people down, what would you like to happen Doris, would you like all the white people to move out of Thailand so you can live there on your own as the superior being, which is what you seem to see yourself as, where everybody else seems to see you as a bit of an ar5e. Edited by daleyboy

I have 3 all on one chain, Worn INSIDE CLOTHING

1 from my Wife, 1 from wife’s Mum when we married and

1 from the Monk who conducted our blessing

Family very surprised and pleased as he is of some importance in local community

He has helped me a lot in the past with insight and understanding into Buddhism

Regards

Ivan

• Like 1

Its funny i have read quite a few of Doris's posts and they always seem to be putting people down, what would you like to happen Doris, would you like all the white people to move out of Thailand so you can live there on your own as the superior being, which is what you seem to see yourself as, where everybody else seems to see you as a bit of an ar5e.

Everybody? I think he has a great sense of humor, bit sarcastic but definately he knows how to rattle the chains (or buddas in this case) of fellow m*rons on this forum.

Flame away :D

OK, to start off, I am a little [prick]

What's your secret, powerful farang senior amulet wearers?

I wai very high before your esteemed presence.

Okay, here is the secret you desire to be revealed ...

Be a well-liked, well-regarded friend, and you, too, will receive an amulet someday.

If you have trouble with that, lessons are available. Ask around the wat :o

Or buy one for 50 baht like everyone else.

My wife gave my amulet to her father (Som Jet), who now wears in all the time. Apparently it was a good one and I was not appreciating its powers. She sold my chain and bought a bracelet for herself. ‘’Som num Na’’ me. I should have shown the thing more reverence.

I do have a small collection of amulets that I keep on my desk, the best one being the one my father inlaw is now wearing.

I believe that Thai's have no problem with farangs wearing amulets.

Its only those pratts in pattaya with two around their neck with 3 bar gold that look like the tryhards they are

Did you mean 3 Baht gold?

Anyway, I wear (and have for about 8 years now) a 5 Baht chain with 3 Buddha Amulets hanging from it. The necklace was a gift from my wife as was the main amulet (a carved, rather than molded, silver buddha in the usual gold box with a hologram picture of the Wat it came from). The other two were given to me by my father-in-law to keep me safe. My wife had them mounted in the little gold boxes at a Wat (rather than a jewlers) and put them on my chain.

She does not like me leaving the house without it - she has one too (3 Baht with a single Buddha). She always checks to see that I am wearing it under my clothes. At night I hang it up on a screw high above my head over out bed - as a show of respect. People only get to see it when I go swimming - I keep it concealed.

I touch it through my clothing whenever I need the comfort. I am a Buddhist (converted many years back) so do not see it as any different from a Christain wearing a cross or a St Christopher. I hold it when I pray.

I have a shrine in my spare room with about 7 buddha statues on it. I bought only one of them, the rest were either gifts - or one I won from the Wat I go to for getting the best score in a Buddhism exam I took (its a brass one, the temple sells for £300!). It is surrounded by amulets and medals given to us (My wife and I) by friends, monks and family. I only wear thise on my chain, the rest I put on my shrine.

I was pushed into a double-decker London bus (14 ton) two years ago by a car side swiping me. I was doing about 60mph, the bus was stationary. I hit it full pelt up the ar5e. The police and ambulance staff were amazed I was still alive - The bus had a four inch hand print in the back and a nice helmet shaped dent close by. I was found 20 feet behind the bus on my back, the bike having crashed through me on it way to embed into the bus' body. I broke my wrist and was bruised, but no other injuries. Call me superstitious (or a try-hard pratt that doesn't go to Pattaya 'cos he hates the place), but I'll stick with my neclace and sod what people think.

Edited by wolf5370

what is it all about - thai amulets ? How could that peices of sand stone give anything but "bad taste" look ?

I just don't get it, really.

P.S. Fat gold chain + fat golden bracelets + few thousand $$$ cell phone = make sence. Framed stone on the neck ? no, sir.

Yeah Well,Just another way for the falang to try and look cool in thailand.

Or look like a walking ATM!!

Bit like the Rolex and Gold sov ring in Blighty.

what is it all about - thai amulets ? How could that peices of sand stone give anything but "bad taste" look ?

P.S. Fat gold chain + fat golden bracelets + few thousand $$$ cell phone = make sence. Framed stone on the neck ? no, sir.

I can tell from your post that you've managed to integrate into Thai culture very well sir.

I can tell from your post that you've managed to integrate into Thai culture very well sir.

:D

I thank you, Jai Dee.

btw, tuk-tuk driver with fake-150Baht-Rolex looks less funny than foreigher with amulets over his neck. No offense, please

Oleg_Rus, I assume that you've reall ALL the posts on this thread, including Thaiquila's OP... :o

And Thaiquila's subsequent acceptance of the concept... :D

There are some of us here that discretely wear amulets... and for very special personal reasons that we've already made public in this thread.

Whether an amulet is made of stone, or gold, or even (as in my case) a coin, wearing one is a matter of personal choice, and most of us wear them with pride.

Please do not confuse me with the shirtless, overweight, and non-working farangs wearing 10 baht gold chains and multiple amulets that you might see on Walking Street in Pattaya.

There are some of us here that discretely wear amulets... and for very special personal reasons that we've already made public in this thread.

Whether an amulet is made of stone, or gold, or even (as in my case) a coin, wearing one is a matter of personal choice, and most of us wear them with pride.

Jai Dee, point well taken. I hope I didn't offend you. Just something about "graven images" makes me feel unconfortable, but surely it's my own religious problem.

Cheers, hope see you at next Pissup Party'July 2005

Jai Dee, point well taken. I hope I didn't offend you. Just something about "graven images" makes me feel unconfortable, but surely it's my own religious problem.

No probs mate.

When you refer to "graven images and "religious problems" Oleg, are you talking about Christianity or Judaism?

Both religions seem to be overloaded with amulets......the Cross and the Star of David.

So why your aversion to Buddhist amulets.....

...as Jai Dee has explained most of us wear them with pride. :D

When you refer to "graven images and "religious problems" Oleg, are you talking about Christianity or Judaism?

Both religions seem to be overloaded with amulets......the Cross and the Star of David.

...as Jai Dee has explained most of us wear them with pride. :o

"star of david" has nothing to do with Judaism, "cross" - just an aknowledgement of christian faith. Nothing to do with luck, protection, health problems ...

"graven images" - is a little part of ten commendments, seems like "not very good".

anyway, sorry for alternative point of view. my fault.

"..."cross" - just an aknowledgement of christian faith. Nothing to do with luck, protection, health problems..."

St Christopher medallions for good luck....? :o

the 'chai' is certainly an amulet (symbolizes the number 18 which is numerology for 'life'); and the 'hamsa' that most of us have adopted from the arab world, we wear as amulet and arabs actually dont...star of david is just a symbol of what 'group' u belong to w/no 'protective' powers to it... the hamsa is against the evil eye but does not represent 'blessings' or 'protection' from a specific person like a long dead important monk etc...

btw, i notice that many many thai guys (here) keep the amulets in their wallets ; and they put them on only when flying back home (airplane) or special occasions... i was shown them but told not to touch them??

i think it looks nasty yucky if the farang wearing the amulet looks indeed like the 'ubiquous' tourist as opposed to someone living or connected closely to thailand, sort of like anything else

i gave a very good thai friend a hamsa as a parting gift and he also keeps it with his other amulets in his wallet... dont knwo if he would wear it though, he keeps it because its a gift from me, not because of its 'powers' or whatever

have thai amulet (nothing old, special or whatever) in junky zoo car at thai friend's insistence (the thing breaks down in very bad places)

"star of david" has nothing to do with Judaism, "cross" - just an aknowledgement of christian faith. Nothing to do with luck, protection, health problems ...

"graven images" - is a little part of ten commendments, seems like "not very good".

The six points symbolize God's rule over the universe in all six directions.

Through the Jewish people's long and often difficult history, we have come to the realization that our only hope is to place our trust in God. The six points of the Star of David symbolize God's rule over the universe in all six directions: north, south, east, west, up and down.

The Magen David (Star of David) is certainly affliated to Judaism.

By the way Oleg your alternative point of view is as valid as mine.... :o:D

Who is St.Christopher ? nickname of Platinum Amex Card ? or scrambled number of Swiss Bank Account ?

Seroiusly - I have no idea - every flavor of Christianity has legions of saints, semi saints and saints with pending aproval...

I believe you will find that St Christopher is the Patron Saint of Travellers, and many Christians wear a medallion showing him carrying Christ across a river for good luck when travelling. I personally am not a Christian, and may not have given him his correct title or role, but I am sure that the likes of Mr Merton will be able to confirm or add to this description. :D

The reason for quoting St Christopher as an example, was simply to address your previous post on Christian amulets having nothing to do with luck and providing protection etc...

Maybe the underlying feeling of comfort and security afforded to some by the wearing of an amulet is not so different regardless of the religion concerned...?

Who is St.Christopher ? nickname of Platinum Amex Card ? or scrambled number of Swiss Bank Account ?

Seroiusly - I have no idea - every flavor of Christianity has legions of saints, semi saints and saints with pending aproval...

I believe you will find that St Christopher is the Patron Saint of Travellers, and many Christians wear a medallion showing him carrying Christ across a river for good luck when travelling. I personally am not a Christian, and may not have given him his correct title or role, but I am sure that the likes of Mr Merton will be able to confirm or add to this description. :D

The reason for quoting St Christopher as an example, was simply to address your previous post on Christian amulets having nothing to do with luck and providing protection etc...

Maybe the underlying feeling of comfort and security afforded to some by the wearing of an amulet is not so different regardless of the religion concerned...?

Well put Rags :D

That is what I was trying to say, regardless of the religious significance it is the comfort the amulet offers that appeals to so many people. :D

• 2 years later...

I have no problem with the concept of people wearing amulets Thai or farang.

If you wear them under your shirt why would anybody have the chance to remark on them.

Having said that.........

I saw a corker yesterday.

My first Jatukarm wearing farang.

Replete with Bandana and Yamaha Nouvo.

It was , as legend would have it , in Pattaya.

Cheers

P.S. If it was you and your reading this, its not a good look for you.