PM Abhisit Announces Next Election Will Be Held On Nov 14

webfact

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a little more than 3 months, as proposed by the protesters

Or a little closer to 9 months as proposed by Abhisit earlier. Looks like a 1/2 way point.

:)

yes but crucially Abhisit wants a date AFTER the new general is appointed, in September, not BEFORE as the Red Shirts insist.

Still they appear to be discussing nitty gritty details now, which is a good sign.

UN observers for the election will be essential, I think.

The rice season will start soon. They'll be back in the paddies before long.

What solutions were the protestors offering for all Thais, or any Thais for that matter?

The protesters are not campaigning they only want ELECTIONS.

Great, so 6 more months of the Red shirts on the streets of Bangkok!

Or a little closer to 9 months as proposed by Abhisit earlier. Looks like a 1/2 way point.

:D

yes but crucially Abhisit wants a date AFTER the new general is appointed, in September, not BEFORE as the Red Shirts insist.

Still they appear to be discussing nitty gritty details now, which is a good sign.

The Red Shirts do seem to have forgotten that this "negotiation" is NOT as 50/50 as it seems. They made the initial demand for the dissolution of house and elections as soon as they came to the city. It was not too long after this (couple of days) that the government made their offer of elections at the end of this year. Due to the delays that the Red Shirts have put everybody through they fail to realise that 6 months from now is, basically, the same thing that the PM offered on day 1. 6 months from now is nearly the end of the year. Not a HUGE compromise to make for the government. Wonderful negotiating from PM, patience, tactics and more patience. Silly, divided, Red Shirt leaders do help though :)

And equally important,

after a budget is passed, and funds can move where they are needed.

For a long time it looked not like Freedonia,

but more like Elbonia where all stand up to their elbows in merde.

The calm and considered man at the helm at the moment has much bigger cojones than most gave him credit for.

Not for 'manning up' and giving the big slap, but for taking tons of heat from all sides,

and a long length of rope for the Reds to hang themselves with. And for sticking to his guns.

They moved to HIS reasonable offer, and not the other way round, after THEY walked out,

and during the interim they shredded their image into tatters.

Of course we have a new and incredibly voluble poster here, screaming the old party line,

but where it matters, there appears a sea change. Not that the radicals won't try to

throw in the monkey wrench and a decent into the abyss...

A returning banned I would guess, just back from Nicks R Us.

Same old same old.

Well so it goes.

Edited by animatic

I am not a violent man.

Change need not be violent.

When, in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the laws of nature and of nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shown that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security. --Such has been the patient sufferance of these colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former systems of government. The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute tyranny over these states. To prove this, let facts be submitted to a candid world.

He has refused his assent to laws, the most wholesome and necessary for the public good.

He has forbidden his governors to pass laws of immediate and pressing importance, unless suspended in their operation till his assent should be obtained; and when so suspended, he has utterly neglected to attend to them.

He has refused to pass other laws for the accommodation of large districts of people, unless those people would relinquish the right of representation in the legislature, a right inestimable to them and formidable to tyrants only.

He has called together legislative bodies at places unusual, uncomfortable, and distant from the depository of their public records, for the sole purpose of fatiguing them into compliance with his measures.

He has dissolved representative houses repeatedly, for opposing with manly firmness his invasions on the rights of the people.

He has refused for a long time, after such dissolutions, to cause others to be elected; whereby the legislative powers, incapable of annihilation, have returned to the people at large for their exercise; the state remaining in the meantime exposed to all the dangers of invasion from without, and convulsions within.

He has endeavored to prevent the population of these states; for that purpose obstructing the laws for naturalization of foreigners; refusing to pass others to encourage their migration hither, and raising the conditions of new appropriations of lands.

He has obstructed the administration of justice, by refusing his assent to laws for establishing judiciary powers.

He has made judges dependent on his will alone, for the tenure of their offices, and the amount and payment of their salaries.

He has erected a multitude of new offices, and sent hither swarms of officers to harass our people, and eat out their substance.

He has kept among us, in times of peace, standing armies without the consent of our legislature.

He has affected to render the military independent of and superior to civil power.

He has combined with others to subject us to a jurisdiction foreign to our constitution, and unacknowledged by our laws; giving his assent to their acts of pretended legislation:

For quartering large bodies of armed troops among us:

Thomas Jefferson

Is this the slave-owning Thomas Jefferson we read about in the history books?

Based on current Red rhetoric, that would seem to make him a yellow shirt. :)

Well done Tom. :D

A good job in the eyes of a red shirt hater maybe, but not for sane persons.

Not everybody who criticize your object of love & devotion is a red shirt and/or wanna die by tanks rolling over him/her. you have a sick fantasy and a crude and false understanding of what democracy means.

You can criticise PM Abhisit all you want, whether you're Red, Yellow or Purple. But pray tell, if this compromise is that bad, what would you suggest as an alternative? This plan isn't a solution to the ills of this nation but it's a start which hopefully, future leaders down the road grow upon.

You people talk about a 'true' democracy but let's be frank here, this country no matter what color rules it will never ever be a 'true' democracy. Only the naive believe in a 'true' democracy. I guess people like you long to live in Freedonia where the sun shines all day, the people sing and dance all the time and farts smell like flowers. Grow up.

Read my postings and don't pick only at one of my replies in this discussion. Than you will understand what is my take on the whole situation.

read here again, my initial comment you have maybe missed.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/PM-Abhisit-A...t&p=3566840

Not a national unity party but something like a national unity government.

An entity that should be only short time in power, on an interim basis, and with the main purpose to bring a reform of the politics on its way. To be successful it has to be done with participation of the "reds"(what probably means a goodbye to Abhisit, he kinda obstruct the way :) )

Look at point five of the road map:

5) The government will take actions to study the public feelings of injustice regarding to political system, especially after what happened over last few years, and try to solve the problems.

Solve the problem - that is the big reform that will coming. It is obvious that it cannot be done only by the current government, only with its current coalition partners, but must include all members of the parliament.

The dissolution of the democrats and its ex members joining a new party, and a fair share will join the 'yellow' party will bring also the PAD into the big parliamentarian boat where everybody works on a reform.

Temocrats dissolution is a big chance and the best way to bring reforms on its way. A reform you can call New Politics, nothing wrong with, the PAD wasn't the best tool to introduce it and a lot of people got it wrong, but actually is New Politics a good thing. :D

Otherwise nothing will change.

now you talking about democracy again, your line before was: Of course there are lot of haters like you out there who want this to fail. You guys don't want free elections or 'democracy' if you even understand what that is. You guys just want an outright win for your side, not a win for both sides.

Now you say it is 'naive' to believe in 'true' democracy at all ...

Able to see the contradiction? Actually you want to say that only Abhisit is the most handsome and with his smirk in the face the best and only one for the job and nobody else. Cling to powers and defend it at every price. Everybody who dares an objection will get replies with silly strawman attacks here at TVF, trolls start to hold a speech about the crimes of Thaksins (as it would justify the current government) or in RL we get censorship and websites like prachatai are blocked.

Abhisit lovers are the pretty naive and narrow minded at TVF, there is nothing what cannot be done without him, actually he makes himself now to an obstacle on the road to reconciliation. The 10. April was not a sunny day for many and will be not forgotten nor solely blamed on the reds as the die-hard true believers and Abhisit lovers prefer to do.

So at the end of the day, the reds lost.

Shame people died on both sides from their stupidity.

I'd say they won (mostly)... what a weird way of looking at it - without the struggle elections NEVER would be held this year - Abhisit would never have called an election - don't you get it?

Abhisit copuld have waited for up to 2 years for an election - but instead he waited for over 20 people to die before he finally set a date, but has included some highly dubious rubric along with it.

As far as I can see there is little to stop a U=turn later.

How are the Redshirts responding? As I understand it they have rejected it.

I would think that this could lead to considerably more aggro and a hardening of position by all sides.

This will lead to civil strife and loss of faith by the international community.

I think that the govt knew the "offer would be rejected as the military will now consider they have more of a "mandate" to go in strong. Something they have wanted for a while.

I ca't see the Redshirts taking this lying down.

THe worst possible scenario is really quite appalling.

I'm not sure how els this situation could be handled.

but Abhisit had warning the Redshirts were cooing - they even postponed - but still he became overwhelmed by the situation and now has the Thai nation in a crisis as big as anything in the last half a century.

Diffuse that if you can.

Edited by Deeral

Read my postings and don't pick only at one of my replies in this discussion. Than you will understand what is my take on the whole situation.

read here again, my initial comment you have maybe missed.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/PM-Abhisit-A...t&p=3566840

Not a national unity party but something like a national unity government.

An entity that should be only short time in power, on an interim basis, and with the main purpose to bring a reform of the politics on its way. To be successful it has to be done with participation of the "reds"(what probably means a goodbye to Abhisit, he kinda obstruct the way :) )

Look at point five of the road map:

5) The government will take actions to study the public feelings of injustice regarding to political system, especially after what happened over last few years, and try to solve the problems.

Solve the problem - that is the big reform that will coming. It is obvious that it cannot be done only by the current government, only with its current coalition partners, but must include all members of the parliament.

The dissolution of the democrats and its ex members joining a new party, and a fair share will join the 'yellow' party will bring also the PAD into the big parliamentarian boat where everybody works on a reform.

Temocrats dissolution is a big chance and the best way to bring reforms on its way. A reform you can call New Politics, nothing wrong with, the PAD wasn't the best tool to introduce it and a lot of people got it wrong, but actually is New Politics a good thing. :D

Otherwise nothing will change.

now you talking about democracy again, your line before was: Of course there are lot of haters like you out there who want this to fail. You guys don't want free elections or 'democracy' if you even understand what that is. You guys just want an outright win for your side, not a win for both sides.

Now you say it is 'naive' to believe in 'true' democracy at all ...

Able to see the contradiction? Actually you want to say that only Abhisit is the most handsome and with his smirk in the face the best and only one for the job and nobody else. Cling to powers and defend it at every price. Everybody who dares an objection will get replies with silly strawman attacks here at TVF, trolls start to hold a speech about the crimes of Thaksins (as it would justify the current government) or in RL we get censorship and websites like prachatai are blocked.

Abhisit lovers are the pretty naive and narrow minded at TVF, there is nothing what cannot be done without him, actually he makes himself now to an obstacle on the road to reconciliation. The 10. April was not a sunny day for many and will be not forgotten nor solely blamed on the reds as the die-hard true believers and Abhisit lovers prefer to do.

It is naive to believe in true democracy. I don't see how how my statements are contradictory. My criticism was for the hard core red shirts that talk a lot of shit about 'democracy' but are in truth just fighting to get back into power. They talk about free elections but don't want to compromise, they only want to see PM Abhisit's downfall.

I've read a whole lot of your drivel and they'll never work. Everyone wants to cling to power. Nobody wants to rule on an 'interim' basis. You can insult Abhisit all you want but everyone else, not least of all any of the red shirt leaders are the same. Do you truly believe they're here fighting for justice and the poor? Or is it power they want?

Right now, and I'll say it again. This compromise of PM Abhisit is a START. You don't reform the whole system with a snap of a finger. You don't fix the problems the poor face just like that. It will take baby steps.

The rice season will start soon. They'll be back in the paddies before long.

Some may go back to plant but many probably don't have significant land holdings of their own. Such people rent land, paying 30-50% of the crop to the owners depending on whether who provides the seeds, fertiliser and pesticide and/or rent themselves out as day labour. For these farmers the wages they are receiving, or hope to receive, for their attendance at the rallies could easily make it worth missing a planting season. Farming is much harder work than sleeping under the BTS.

I'd say they won (mostly)... what a weird way of looking at it - without the struggle elections NEVER would be held this year - Abhisit would never have called an election - don't you get it?

Absolute crap ----

PTP could have done all of this without a violent street mob resorting to terrorism. All they would have to have done is be an efficient and vocal opposition party. Tried "no-confidence' votes often, spoken out etc ....

Instead PTP did .......... nothing.

"PTP could have done all of this without a violent street mob resorting to terrorism"

- this sort of language is precisely why I'm reluctant to engage in discussion on this site, which alone of all the Thai sights has the most polarised and blinkered replies.

It really ids so incredibly "low-brow" - very disturbing too that most of these people are expats and show no ability whatsoever to take a dispassionate look at the countrythey are in, rather they take sides (WHY??) and express opinions that are based purely on tabloid-style prejudice.

"PTP could have done all of this without a violent street mob resorting to terrorism"

- this sort of language is precisely why I'm reluctant to engage in discussion on this site, which alone of all the Thai sights has the most polarised and blinkered replies.

It really ids so incredibly "low-brow" - very disturbing too that most of these people are expats and show no ability whatsoever to take a dispassionate look at the countrythey are in, rather they take sides (WHY??) and express opinions that are based purely on tabloid-style prejudice.

Ah ... thanks! I guess someone twisted your arm this time, not to talk about what was said but how it was said :)

It IS dispassionate to call much of what the red shirt mob did terrorism. Bombings, blood, threats, attacking 1st Reg and Thaicom, kidnapping (unlawful detainment and movement of non-interested parties), grenades, Sae Daeng, Arisaman, Ronin etc

Delusional !

LOST.

Big time - particularly with rank and file North Easterners.

LOST.

Not so fast.

Nobody has won OR lost until free and fair elections are held.

Since that would be a first in LOS, it's too soon to be optimistic. A disputed result in the next election would bring the country back to square one.

LOST.

Not so fast.

Since that would be a first in LOS, it's too soon to be optimistic. A disputed result in the next election would bring the country back to square one.

NOTE:- My comments relate to where CMF referred to the reds winning in the context of the protests.

Your other comments are very apt. Where Thailand goes depends on the factors you refer to.

Whilst I hope I am wrong, this election will come too soon for Thailand. (Unless Abhisit has the desire and support to have the elections externally monitored)

It ain't over till the fat lady sings. Despite what he says, Thaksin calls the shots for the red shirt leaders, as he remains the main financial sponsor and the only rallying force for the troops. His aim was to have elections as soon as possible without constitutional amendments, so Pheua Thai can campaign on a platform of reverting the 1997 constitution which would make it possible to nullify all existing convictions and charges against him and prosecute the coup makers for treason. There are some ongoing DSI investigations against him that would not be nullified by reverting to the 1997 constitution which is another reason for wanting to dissolve parliament before these charges can come to fruition. If Pheua Thai gains power, they can fire all the top brass of the DSI again as they did in 2008 to knobble these investigations. Thaksin may have thought he has pushed as far as he could now that the red shirts are losing support and credibility (from those who believed in them in the first place). The waining support for the reds and growing evidence of the leaders' involvement in terrorism means the government could crack down on them hard with a lesser risk of collapsing immediately afterwards. Armed resistance by the black shirts has now lost its surprise advantage and a crack down would result in a lot them shot dead with weapons in their hands and identified as hard core employees of the movement. The forcing of Abhisit's hand, probably by Gen Prayuth who is ready to do the job, into signing a written order for a crack down, may have convinced the red leaders that they were facing imminent death or years in prison with no opportunity to enjoy their Wall St style bonuses to the extent they may have told Thaksin they are going to fold now. Thaksin will still backtrack, if he get the PR going his way again because this deal is still not good enough for him. He would have no problem with a bloodbath but not at the moment when it would look as if the government was justified in defending law and order against heavily armed terrorists.

And equally important,

after a budget is passed, and funds can move where they are needed.

For a long time it looked not like Freedonia,

but more like Elbonia where all stand up to their elbows in merde.

The calm and considered man at the helm at the moment has much bigger cojones than most gave him credit for.

Not for 'manning up' and giving the big slap, but for taking tons of heat from all sides,

and a long length of rope for the Reds to hang themselves with. And for sticking to his guns.

They moved to HIS reasonable offer, and not the other way round, after THEY walked out,

and during the interim they shredded their image into tatters.

Of course we have a new and incredibly voluble poster here, screaming the old party line,

but where it matters, there appears a sea change. Not that the radicals won't try to

throw in the monkey wrench and a decent into the abyss...

A returning banned I would guess, just back from Nicks R Us.

Same old same old.

Well so it goes.

There have actually been several new and incredibly voluble posters joining in the last few days, some of who whom have been rabidly anti-red shirt. Must be a conspiracy theory somewhere in there ,eh, Ralph? Or something along the lines of:

'People are so outraged

by the terrorist behaviour

of the red shirts

that many are feeling the need

to join Thai Visa and make

30 posts a day

voicing their outrage.

Quite understandable

really.'

LOST.

Not so fast.

True! The Reds have lost? When Abhisit has just agreed to hold elections this year...? He definately said that he would hold out for his 4 year term, but STRANGELY, I can't find that now! Now he still has egg on his face because he has no right to do so - if I understand politics correctly - the date must be set by the Electoral Commission!!!! Bright little Eton boy!

To my knowledge, the barricades are still up and the Reds are awaiting some more clarification on the shady capitulation deal.

WHO lost????

Time will tell. I am just amazed that there are Western people here who are Government apologists with all that has gone on. REALLY, are you so blind that you cannot see that Abhisit is just a mere puppet in the hands of such as Suthep and Newin, who in turn are part of the notorious 'establishment'? I even wonder if those postulating to be ex-pats are really such at all. Maybe, they missed out on a thorough education in their countries, or got abused when they were children, or something.

Over and out :)

The posts here are getting ridiculous.

After months of the red animals holding Bangkok hostage, there's a good chance that we'll all be able to get back to normalcy within days. This compromise may also actually be something PM Abhisit says it will be, something to reconcilliate all Thais that are divided. It may be that or it may not but I'm hoping it is.

And then we have people wanting to talk about who won and who lost...

After months of the red animals holding Bangkok hostage, there's a good chance that we'll all be able to get back to normalcy within days. This compromise may also actually be something PM Abhisit says it will be, something to reconcilliate all Thais that are divided. It may be that or it may not but I'm hoping it is.

Nope, normalcy is not on the horizon until a concrete dissolution date is given.

LOST.

Not so fast.

True! The Reds have lost? When Abhisit has just agreed to hold elections this year...? He definately said that he would hold out for his 4 year term, but STRANGELY, I can't find that now! Now he still has egg on his face because he has no right to do so - if I understand politics correctly - the date must be set by the Electoral Commission!!!! Bright little Eton boy!

To my knowledge, the barricades are still up and the Reds are awaiting some more clarification on the shady capitulation deal.

WHO lost????

Time will tell. I am just amazed that there are Western people here who are Government apologists with all that has gone on. REALLY, are you so blind that you cannot see that Abhisit is just a mere puppet in the hands of such as Suthep and Newin, who in turn are part of the notorious 'establishment'? I even wonder if those postulating to be ex-pats are really such at all. Maybe, they missed out on a thorough education in their countries, or got abused when they were children, or something.

Over and out :)

If I read the constituion correct, EC only hold the election and is responsible for it. I can´t find anything about they are setting the date.

Section 235. The Election Commission shall control and hold, or cause to be held, an election or selection of members of the House of Representatives, senators, members of a local assembly and local administrators

..and even worse, some people calling for the government to do a last-minute crackdown, calling for more bloodshed.

..and even worse, some people calling for the government to do a last-minute crackdown, calling for more bloodshed.

To avoid that I think the reds should agree an the plan and go home.

I think they will. What we have now is a realistic proposal from Abhisit. Let's give him time (and hope he doesn't need too much time) to finalize the date with the Election Commission and set a date for the House dissolution. Then I'm sure the red shirts will go home (even though 70%, according to Suthep, are already home, as they're from Bangkok).

I think they will. What we have now is a realistic proposal from Abhisit. Let's give him time (and hope he doesn't need too much time) to finalize the date with the Election Commission and set a date for the House dissolution. Then I'm sure the red shirts will go home (even though 70%, according to Suthep, are already home, as they're from Bangkok).

House dissolution is 45 days before the election. If the red leaders read the constituion they will know that.

Nope, normalcy is not on the horizon until a concrete dissolution date is given.

Meanwhile, more and more anti government news sources are being censored. The English UDD Facebook page was just censored. I wonder where that fits on the road map?

Still, if Abhisit pulls it off and gets to an election orderly then all the more power to him; he'd probably have his best chance ever of winning an election, so finally he'd have his own mandate. I think that'd be a good outcome, also when that means that Abhisit remains PM.

House dissolution is 45 days before the election. If the red leaders read the constituion they will know that.

Which is why November 14th is the date for elections.

If it's so easy, why hasn't Abhisit said yet on which day he will dissolve the House?