Thailand To Consider Amnesty For Red-Shirts Leaders

webfact

Thailand to consider amnesty for protest leaders: source

BANGKOK (AFP) -- Thai authorities are ready to discuss an amnesty for anti-government protest leaders as part of a proposed reconciliation roadmap to November elections, a government source said Tuesday.

"The government wants to create a good climate and end the protests. Details will be discussed later. However, one of the topics that will discussed is related to an amnesty," the source told AFP, asking not to be named.

Arrest warrants have been issued for many top leaders of the "Red Shirt" movement, which has been protesting in Bangkok since mid-March in its campaign for elections despite a ban on rallies under a state of emergency in the city.

Red Shirt leaders were on Tuesday considering Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva's proposal to hold elections on November 14 to end the stand-off.

There have been a series of tense confrontations between the demonstrators and the security forces in Bangkok, where 27 people died and nearly 1,000 were injured in unrest last month.

According to the Bangkok Post newspaper, the government is open to talks about an amnesty for people who have violated the ban on gatherings, but not for those who have committed criminal offences.

It said the Red Shirts were pushing for an amnesty decree for protesters, some of whom stormed parliament in April, forcing lawmakers to flee.

Many of the opposition demonstators are seeking the return of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who was ousted in a 2006 coup and lives abroad to avoid a jail term for corruption.

afplogo.jpg

-- ©Copyright AFP 2010-05-04

Published with written approval from AFP.

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

FASCISM EMERGES IN THAILAND

It is high time that we face up to the fact that the UDD Red Shirt movement and its political brother the Puea Thai Party, represent an obvious expression of fascism. We should all stop “beating around the bush” and publicly recognize this overt threat to true Democracy.

Fascism

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fascists believe that a nation is an organic community that requires strong leadership, singular collective identity, and the will and ability to commit violence and wage war in order to keep the nation strong.[15] They claim that culture is created by collective national society and its state, that cultural ideas are what give individuals identity, and thus rejects individualism.[15] In viewing the nation as an integrated collective community, they claim that pluralism is a dysfunctional aspect of society, and justify a totalitarian state as a means to represent the nation in its entirety.[16][17] They advocate the creation of a single-party state.[18] Fascist governments forbid and suppress openness and opposition to the fascist state and the fascist movement.[19] They identify violence and war as actions that create national regeneration, spirit and vitality.[20]

Fascists reject and resist autonomy of cultural or ethnic groups who are not considered part of the fascists' nation and who refuse to assimilate or are unable to be assimilated.[21] They consider attempts to create such autonomy as an affront and threat to the nation.[21]

History and common sense tells us that you cannot appease, negotiate, reconcile, or compromise with fascists because they do not respect other points of view and cannot be trusted to adhere to agreements that are contrary to their core beliefs (ie. allowing unimpeded electoral campaigning).

Those who are entrusted to preserving the democratic state need to remove all such threats to society. As such, the UDD and the Puea Thai Party should be banned, dissolved, and designated as illegal entities and their leaders should be arrested and put in jail for terrorist actions, and treason.

True Democracy must be vigorously defended! A minority of ill-intentioned individuals or organizations must not be allowed to break the law and use violence and threats to usurp the rights of all good law-abiding citizens.

post-105991-1272954533_thumb.jpg

Any Amnesty given to the Red Shirts thugs who committed criminal crimes will open up a standard that will be used for years to come for any one when wants to be above the law

An easy and quick finish to this problem is desirable

but not at the expense of Thai Law and a precedence being set that will see many more years of lawlessness

No amnesty for red shirts leaders : Trairong

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Prime Minister Trairong Suwannakiree said on Tuesday there will be no amnesty for the red shirts leaders as they have to serve their penalty.

"PM Abhisit Vejjajiva's reconciliation roadmap is the best solution to resolve the political problems. The demonstration's demands appear to achieve and the premier will find solution to bridge the differences between the poor and the rich. Therefore the protesters should accept the government's proposal" he said.

"The protest under democracy system would usually end when the protesters let the government know about their problems and the government would find solution to the problems. Therefore the country can move forward in this way" he said.

"However, according to the political situation at the moment, the rally has heavily damaged the country. The protesters do protest and create their own rights and regulations which is not under democracy way to do" he added.

"Penalty will be applied on those who break the laws, up to 20 years. We do not negotiate about it in order to exchange on anything otherwise the law would not be effective and this would be repeated again" he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-05-04

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Amnisty for the rank and file red shirts.... sure, no problem.

But NOT for the leaders nor ANYONE (rank and file or otherwise) who commited crimes of any kind and especially not for any crimes of violence.

Imaginary negotiations:

PM: As for amnesty for the leaders, we promise you will not be executed

Goons: that's it?

PM: count your blessings

:)

Hey the shadows are slipping! Taksin in a conference call with the goons about whether to accept the terms or not? Hey Taksin, you're not involved in this, remember?

To me, the astounding thing about this whole ordeal is all the things that were happening that no one would admit to, on either side, like the reds having arms. An elephant in the room? Try a herd of them!

If this news of an amnesty is accurate, then I think Abhisit deserves kudos for offering the Red Shirts a compromise package that they can accept subject to further clarification.

I doubt the amnesty will cover black-hooded militia responsible for shootings or bombings.

Seems that nobody has read beyond the headline? :D
the government is open to talks about an amnesty for people who have violated the ban on gatherings, but not for those who have committed criminal offences.

Yep, most of the comments surprised me as being rather ignorant, too. It might be a bit early in the day, it's not even 2pm in Bkk. :)

I imagine a few boys will be OK - Veera for instance. They don't need all of the red shirt leaders on side to do this. They can get a few of the less radical guys to effectively 'rat out' the idiots. The idiots will also have their opportunity to rat out those who procured and used weapons and identify the people who REALLY directed this.

People that are co-operative will be handled more gently. The raids/arrests of late show that the DSI is adept in getting information out of people - so the only hope of the wrongdoers is to be co-operative too.

I understood that amnesty from offences of illegal gathering under the SOE would be offered but it would not be offered for stronger criminal acts, which I'd support if that was the case.

Blanket amnesty would only lead to more protests I think

Amnesty for the people demonstrated there peacefully OK

Amnesty for some people who might went just a little bit over the law (throwing some stones) OK

Amnesty for the real violent people No Way

Amnesty for the leaders: no way

Seems that nobody has read beyond the headline? :D
the government is open to talks about an amnesty for people who have violated the ban on gatherings, but not for those who have committed criminal offences.

Yep, most of the comments surprised me as being rather ignorant, too. It might be a bit early in the day, it's not even 2pm in Bkk. :)

I read that too - but most people did not, and what you get is another ill-informed TV thread.

you want Peace or what....???/

It is normal for ending such a crisis that an amnesty covering nearly all the facts is part of the final agreement. However people directly involved with blood on their hand should not be included.

Absence of such a clausus can only bring resurgences of conflicts.

I imagine a few boys will be OK - Veera for instance. They don't need all of the red shirt leaders on side to do this. They can get a few of the less radical guys to effectively 'rat out' the idiots. The idiots will also have their opportunity to rat out those who procured and used weapons and identify the people who REALLY directed this.

People that are co-operative will be handled more gently. The raids/arrests of late show that the DSI is adept in getting information out of people - so the only hope of the wrongdoers is to be co-operative too.

Yes, Hopefully this gives a face saving get out to more moderate leaders and leaves the mad-dogs to be thrown in jail to rot. I do see a danger of Seh Daeng wanting to go out in a blaze of 'glory' David Koresh style, but hopefully if this transpires it won't mean anyone being kept under duress to add fuel to his funeral pyre.

guys, even the compromise from abhisit is all smoke and mirrors, the fact is he does not have the balls to deal with the situation properly so I can't believe that anyone is surprised by this.

How *should* the situation be dealt with?

If the army goes in with guns to clear the protestors, he's called a murderer. If he calls a house dissolution now, he's weak.

He's found a way inbetween.

That's a good thing, isn't it?

It's going to be entertaining when all these grandstanding buffoons start ratting on each other.

I'm itching to to see which one gives them Taksin full-tilt. I'm also curious how long he will live afterward.

It is really going to be cool if they start raiding the leaders' bank accounts.

THE NATION: Thaksin: "I'm in good health. Tomrrw is auspicious day so it will be good if we can have reconciliation." (via Neaw_NBC)

Well, that's it! the boss says it's over.

THE NATION: Thaksin: "Everything's far beyond me now. I'm just a little piece in the red shirts movement" (via @phensasitorn )

This is one time he's telling the truth, he's just one disgusting piece of snot on an old piece of red cloth.

Edited by bendejo

you want Peace or what....???/

It is normal for ending such a crisis that an amnesty covering nearly all the facts is part of the final agreement. However people directly involved with blood on their hand should not be included.

Absence of such a clausus can only bring resurgences of conflicts.

Hang on a second, by granting amnesty you only set yourself up for a repeat. Take the city hostage etc etc (but no worries because we will make amnesty part of any settlement).

Amnesty for Arisman, Kwanchai, Seh Daeng? :) They must be mad even to consider it.

I imagine by now there is a large price on Arisman's head from the Muslim community. Only time will tell.

They say there is a price to pay for liberty but this is ridicules.

I hope the big business sue them for financial damages. Especially if the ineffective government let them of easy

COMMENT OF THE DAY

"THE NATION: Thaksin: "Everything's far beyond me now. I'm just a little piece in the red shirts movement" (via @phensasitorn )"

Understatement of the year!

If by "understatement" you mean "prevarication", then I'd have to agree with you.

guys, even the compromise from abhisit is all smoke and mirrors, the fact is he does not have the balls to deal with the situation properly so I can't believe that anyone is surprised by this.

How *should* the situation be dealt with?

If the army goes in with guns to clear the protestors, he's called a murderer. If he calls a house dissolution now, he's weak.

He's found a way inbetween.

That's a good thing, isn't it?

If he goes in with the tank and heavy shooting happens, with 100 dead people, fire on the street, maybe Siam Paragon on fire, everyone would complain that he did a very bad thing.

What he is doing is the only human option, definitely the best for Thailand. (If there is no pardon for the really bad guys)