Pai, In Mae Hong Son

Xangsamhua

Does anyone know much about the town and district of Pai, in Mae Hong Son?

According to Wikipedia it is experiencing development for both tourism and other business and there is some land speculation. It has had some significant infrastructure upgrades, including a new airport and daily flights.

Would it be an option for retirement, especially for a couple who want to rent, not buy?

I find it overcrowded or totally boring - depending on the time of year.

Chiang Rai is a small town with lots of natural beauty, but some decent Western restaurants and a small scene for foreigners. Chang Dow is also supposed to be nice, but not a lot to do.

I would prefer either of these places to living in Pai.

Could be a bit of a wild west town. What SBK mentioned recently about Ko Pha Ngan pretty much also applies to Pai. Don't let that stop you, of course.

What did she say about Ko Pha Ngan? "Wild West"? Gunfights? Saloon brawls? Pistol-packin' preacher men? Sounds interesting. :)

No good hospital within 50 km.

Pai WAS a very nice tourist destination. It might still be for some people spending their last money coming back from India, for example. The mountains there are fantastic, there’re hot springs, elephant camps, waterfalls and lots of farlang restaurants.

I’ve met a German guy who opened the first restaurant in Pai, but I haven’t been there for about seven years, when there wasn’t an airport.

It’s nice to rent a motorbike or driving there with your car, the scenery is breathtaking. The dark side is that lots of foreigners die there overdosed. Some hill tribes are selling the white death.

You won’t read that in any newspaper, they suddenly died because of heart attacks……..

Could be a bit of a wild west town. What SBK mentioned recently about Ko Pha Ngan pretty much also applies to Pai. Don't let that stop you, of course.

What did she say about Ko Pha Ngan? "Wild West"? Gunfights? Saloon brawls? Pistol-packin' preacher men? Sounds interesting. :)

Yeehah!! Count me in!!

No good hospital within 50 km.

Pai WAS a very nice tourist destination. It might still be for some people spending their last money coming back from India, for example. The mountains there are fantastic, there’re hot springs, elephant camps, waterfalls and lots of farlang restaurants.

I’ve met a German guy who opened the first restaurant in Pai, but I haven’t been there for about seven years, when there wasn’t an airport.

It’s nice to rent a motorbike or driving there with your car, the scenery is breathtaking. The dark side is that lots of foreigners die there overdosed. Some hill tribes are selling the white death.

You won’t read that in any newspaper, they suddenly died because of heart attacks……..

GREAT motorbike riding if that's a factor in your retirement. Soooo beautiful. Let the druggies dig their own graves.

You'll probably want some peers of your own age group and income to have some kind of social life. Not sure you'd find too many in Pai. I would say you're better to go somewhere larger. Chiang Rai might be a better choice. Hash House Harriers, golf societies, good cycling or off-road dirt biking, a few restaurants and civilized bars, OK hospitals and dentists - and you still get the nice winter weather.

Thanks guys. Very helpful replies. Chiang Rai sounds better, perhaps, if we go for a provincial location. Have been there briefly and it seems nice. Any problem with the smoke from forest fires or burning-off, or is that more Chiangmai?

Thanks guys. Very helpful replies. Chiang Rai sounds better, perhaps, if we go for a provincial location. Have been there briefly and it seems nice. Any problem with the smoke from forest fires or burning-off, or is that more Chiangmai?

I think it's a problem all over northern Thailand. Not sure about the south - but flying from Chiang Rai to Bangkok in April you're over a thick smoke haze all the way.

You really must do some research re location and I suggest that a search of this forum will be a good start, the air quality in most parts of Northern Thailand during burning season can be dire at times, a PM10 reading in excess of 500 was recorded this year in Mae Hong Son, not too far from Chiang Rai. Make your move to the north by all means but do so understanding what you will encounter and assess the risk first.

You really must do some research re location and I suggest that a search of this forum will be a good start, the air quality in most parts of Northern Thailand during burning season can be dire at times, a PM10 reading in excess of 500 was recorded this year in Mae Hong Son, not too far from Chiang Rai. Make your move to the north by all means but do so understanding what you will encounter and assess the risk first.

Good advice, CM, and thank you. To be honest, we'd never considered moving to the provinces until now, perhaps stimulated by our recent trip home to Oz and the semi-rural lifestyles of our children and friends seemed to have more impact on us this time. Also the red-shirt occupation of areas in Bangkok we used go to a lot, and now don't, has shown us that there's maybe more to life than shopping plazas. I'll keep up the research.

Pai is in a beautiful location, but it is none the less a tourist town, and increasingly a town that is attracting Thai tourists. And the ride to either Chiang Mai or Mae Hong Son can get tiresome. But it is certainly an option and worth exploring. Currently it is not my cup of tea, if only because of the music scene. I might suggest looking at Chiang Dao if you want to be somewhat rural as it is closer to Chiang Mai with an easier drive into the big city. If you speak Thai and are looking for investment in an area with high potential growth then check out the still somnolent Wat Chan due south of Pai.

This town is infamous for drunken,trigger-happy cops,who can shot you and your wife without any valid reason

and....nothing ever happens to them;they still keep their guns,and they keep drinking.

You can come here however for shorten retirement.

Write yours will before it is too late.

IMO Pai is rapidly becoming an over-developed tourist trap. Of course, with that you get the farang conveniences such as half-decent restaurants and guest houses/resorts. Your best bet would be to rent a vehicle in CM and take a drive up there and spend a week or so exploring the town and surrounding areas. Like others have said, it's a beautiful ride/drive. If I had a gun pointed to my head and had to choose somewhere in that area, it'd be Mae Hong Son rather than Pai.

How about somewhere on the outskirts of CM? I live about 13km north of CM in a small village and find it perfect - a little rural but an easy jaunt into the city. How about somewhere like Mae Taeng or Mae Faek? I don't know what the rental situation is like, but land is still cheap and you are within 50km of CM and all it's conveniences.

Anywhere you are in the north you will suffer the burn off pollution from mid march until the rains come, which should be about now. Hopefully.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Why not live near ChiangMai?

Just as rural as anywhere, but with the advantages of civilization nearby.

15-25Km out is great, Mae Rim, San Sai, Doi Saket, Hang Dong, San Patong ...... to name just a few.

Pai, full of aging hippies, lots of drugs, if you like that sort of thing it will suit you.

Edited by sarahsbloke

Pai gets mobbed with young Thais and backpackers two or three times as year - The rest of the time its a boring backwater

Agreed. I'd go stir crazy if I had to stay there very long. And, there is nowhere close and easy to visit, or get away from the boredom. No wonder everyone sits around with a bong stuck in their face. Nice ride in and a nice ride out, but that is about it.

What did she say about Ko Pha Ngan? "Wild West"? Gunfights? Saloon brawls? Pistol-packin' preacher men? Sounds interesting.

10 years in KPG. I should be the sheriff..

I rather be the deputy. joint.gif

Another thing to note is that like Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai and the rest of the North, it gets quite smokey in March.

Perhaps the main drawback is the same one that applies to retiring in any of the other locations that are essentially tourist towns.