Uk Barclaycard: Closing Account Because Overseas!

I have just got this astounding letter from Barclaycard beginning:

" We've noticed from our records that we have a US address for you. Unfortunately under the terms and conditions of your Barclaycard it's not possible for us to maintain a permanent overseas account, Therefore we regret to inform you that on 5th July 2010 we'll have to close your account."

It goes on to say that if my residency in the US is temporary and I have a UK bank account let them know (by phone) and they'll update their records, and keep the account open.

This is astounding for several reasons. 1. I'm a UK citizen, but I've been in the US for 10 years and they've not had a problem

2. If I just give some UK address on the phone eg my brother's, then they'll just accept it?

This might seem a bit irrelevant to a LOS forum, but bear with me:

What worries me is that I bank with Barclays Bank and if they also close my bank account I'm screwed. I've quit my job here in US, and am 5 days away from moving to LOS. I had carefully planned finances and how I was going to transfer money. The cash comes from rent of house in UK and from an offshore bond (4.5% interest on £250K!) and from a lower interest instant access internet offshore account with less cash in it. All of these ( bond interest, rent and online electronic transfers)go into my Barclays UK account, which I would then use to transfer money to a LOS account by phone (or letter if more than £5000). All working fine.

If they suddenly decide to close my Barclays account (I don't have another UK one) I'll have no way of even receiving this money in the UK, or any way of handling money at all never mind sending it to a Thai account!

Does any one know if Barclays Bank are likely to do this to me too? Should I just call Barclays telephone banking and change my address to a UK one (sibling's) to forestall this possible eventuality? Would they just take my word for it?

Any advice appreciated! My great escape is suddenly looking like it could become a trip up s*#t creek..

Edited by partington

Just use a relative's address. They are buttondown bureaucrats who insist on going by the book. No need to tell them about Thailand. I had a similar problem with a BofA account and got around the problem by using a relative's address in the USA. This was a US account, and did wires to bkk from time to time.

I've had problems with Barclays for years, living in Thailand, their service in the UK is OK, but they create all sorts of problems for those living abroad, especially Thailand which has a bad reputation for bank card theft and fraud.

1. Establish if you are dealing with Barclaycard or Barclays Bank, the former is simply a credit card service, the latter is for current accounts and you should have no problem maintaining a current/checking/savings account with them if you have a banking history with them. I receive my statements from them every month to my Thailand address.

2. Barclays, and probably all UK Banks, do not send replacement cards to Thailand addresses, and they might not give you consistent info on this from their call centre in India. Furthermore, apparently according to UK law, courier companies like DHL are not supposed to carry bank cards to addresses abroad and if you try it will likely be picked up in an x-ray.

3. So, whenever you need a card, you need to change your address to a UK relative, have it sent there, then get them to hide it in a book which is mailed to you in Thailand, or sent out with someone. I once received a card, didn't use it for 6 months and then when I did, noticed it was suddenly being used with a cloned version in Malaysia and a week later in Australia. Also, if you temporarily change your address to a UK one and then back it has no affect apparently on your 'address history', which is quite important to banks in assessing your reliability to be 'found'.

4. As for Barclaycard, they have become awful, lots of people I know gave there's back because they were offering very low rates to new customers while ripping older ones off, then when you called to cancel they suddenly offered to lower them to retain you. They won't send me a card being domiciled outside of the UK so I had to lie to them and say I'd moved back to UK, I've been a reliable card payer/user for 15 years, but in this day and age of easy-credit-gone-bad they are reeling in the freedoms, recently my limited was reduced by £800 because I missed a payment by a few days, first missed one in ages. Only reason I keep it is because it would be difficult for me to get another one not living in the UK. So far they haven't discontinued my account (probably because I owe them money) and I got a replacement card in the UK in Sept last year.

5. Your internet banking is critical for management, make sure you have you pin-sentry (sent to me successfully here and PIN letters also arrive OK), and I upgraded to premium (£22 a month) so I can get a UK person promptly answering my phone queries, along with other priviledges. Also, they tend to no longer let you order and collect a card from a branch when you are back visiting the UK.

6. Finally, getting a credit card here in Thailand as a foreign is near impossible. I have one through my Thai wife, on a joint account, otherwise they have disingenuous policy of asking you to deposit 200,000 baht in a fixed savings account (at 3%) so they can give you a credit card with a 100,000 limit (charging you 16%!). If you have a nice corporate job in Bangkok with a big salary and someone to endorse, a foreign bank like HSBC might give you a credit card.

7. Once you are settled here, with a lease and proper visa, it's relatively easy to open a bank account with a debt card that will work all over the world, if you're going to put lots of money into it, insist that they apply interest to it, because by default banks don't give any interest on accounts owned by foreigners (yes crazy I know, but that's Thai banks for you).

8. I find it easiest to draw money monthly over the counter of a forex bureau at my local bank, using my card, I think the charge is 2%, otherwise withdrawals from ATM (up to 20,000 max per 24 hours) is 3%. Getting the money transferred from your bank in the UK is a hassle because a form has to be signed with lots of details and then faxed to a co-operating bank clerk at a local branch there, it takes about a week, the charge is about £20, and you get the official exchange rate. One of my clients has an online fasttrack service, pre-set up and vetted, that enables him to send me money via internet banking that arrives in 24 hours.

Hope that helps.

Barclays International (IoM) require a UK address and they won't accept c/o.

So I just use my sisters address and she holds on to my mail until one of my periodic visits. It's no big deal unless your rellie is claiming any kind of benefits or council tax rebates.

Virtualtraveler

Thanks for the very full answer-very helpful indeed.

As a general point: I do know Barclaycard are a different company to Barclays Bank- it just worried me that this suddenly happened with Barclaycard after 10 years of it being perfectly OK for me to have a non-UK address. I always got replacement cards fine, so something has just changed with Barclaycard. I don't really need the Barclaycard in any case, I was just worried that whatever policy they are suddenly applying might in the near future be applied by Barclays Bank too, also suddenly after 10 years of it being perfectly fine. (It seems odd that it's OK to have a bank account with a non UK address but not a credit card from companies that are somewhat related)

As for other replies: thanks but I think applying for NEW UK bank accounts from overseas , even if you give a UK address in your application, is really difficult to almost impossible. The ID requirements now imposed need you to verify your address in UK with utility bills etc. Also opening a new offshore acccount is possible but still needs the notarised passport and utility bill verification, and I don't really have time to do it in the time I have left (because my address will change from US to LOS in 4 days but I don't know exactly where ). But I'll definitely have a go when I get there, and settled.

However if I'm mistaken and someone could give me the name(s) of UK banks that have accepted an application from overseas recently that would be really useful-

thanks!

Virtualtraveler

Thanks for the very full answer-very helpful indeed.

As a general point: I do know Barclaycard are a different company to Barclays Bank- it just worried me that this suddenly happened with Barclaycard after 10 years of it being perfectly OK for me to have a non-UK address. I always got replacement cards fine, so something has just changed with Barclaycard. I don't really need the Barclaycard in any case, I was just worried that whatever policy they are suddenly applying might in the near future be applied by Barclays Bank too, also suddenly after 10 years of it being perfectly fine. (It seems odd that it's OK to have a bank account with a non UK address but not a credit card from companies that are somewhat related)

As for other replies: thanks but I think applying for NEW UK bank accounts from overseas , even if you give a UK address in your application, is really difficult to almost impossible. The ID requirements now imposed need you to verify your address in UK with utility bills etc. Also opening a new offshore acccount is possible but still needs the notarised passport and utility bill verification, and I don't really have time to do it in the time I have left (because my address will change from US to LOS in 4 days but I don't know exactly where ). But I'll definitely have a go when I get there, and settled.

However if I'm mistaken and someone could give me the name(s) of UK banks that have accepted an application from overseas recently that would be really useful-

thanks!

Just find a list of banks, close your eyes and stick a pin in it and you'll be right.

Your mistake is that you are trying to prove your address is in the UK when you don't live in UK.

Just provide proof of address in the country where you DO live and it's no problem.

Edited by PattayaParent

Just find a list of banks, close your eyes and stick a pin in it and you'll be right.

Your mistake is that you are trying to prove your address is in the UK when you don't live in UK.

Just provide proof of address in the country where you DO live and it's no problem.

Thanks for help, but I think you might be misunderstanding my post a little. I know I can either

1. open a UK account (needs proof of UK address) or

2. open an offshore account (needs proof of foreign address).

I can't do 1. for reason you state, (but it would be a whole lot easier to have a UK account to deal with stuff arising in UK, eg accumulating rent money, paying bills for flat repairs etc. So I really hope Barclays don't cancel my account)

I can't do 2. because I am literally in transition from US to LOS and so would have practical difficulties in providing proof of residence in either place now. Add to that the fact that many UK offshore banks (eg Barclays, Clydesdale) don't offer products to US residents (I know , I've checked) means practically I'll have to wait to apply until I have residence etc set up in LOS, so could provide that residence proof.

I just don't want to find half way through the transition that Barclays cancel my account leaving me with no account yet set up to control, move or manage money!

Never mind, I'll just have to wait , I appreciate that.

cheers

Yes, you'll most likely have to wait until you get to Thailand to open a new offshore UK account into which you can still easily have rent paid into and make transfers to pay bills.

You seem to have until 5 July which should be enough time. Just make sure any proof of adress you send is in English.

You might even call Barclays and ask them about moving your account offshore as it might be easier given your banking history with them.

2. Barclays, and probably all UK Banks, do not send replacement cards to Thailand addresses, Totally incorrect. I have had my cards sent here successfully for 6 years.I have changed my Thai address at least 7 times. It has never been a problem

5. Your internet banking is critical for management, make sure you have you pin-sentry (sent to me successfully here and PIN letters also arrive OK), and I upgraded to premium (£22 a month) so I can get a UK person promptly answering my phone queries, along with other priviledges. Also, they tend to no longer let you order and collect a card from a branch when you are back visiting the UK Again totally incorrect, I did this in Dec 2009 when I lost my cards on arrive in UK. A non local branch allowed me to temporary change my address to my brother's so I could collect my cards. They even set up my address to revert to my Thai one automatically after one week. BTW Barclay have been using the Card verifier for at least 2 years or more for online banking, therefore you never need a PIN number sent to you as the Verifer producs a unique one each time. This is an option you might not have opted for

Not sure where you are getting your facts from. Mine are my experiences, so are my reality. Barclay's hasnt always been good to me, but they aint as bad as you paint them. Barclaycard are a difference story, but in line with most credit card companies.

I haven't had a Credit Card for 10 years. Only had one issue in that time, that was in KL when the receptionist at the 'Traders' told me I needed a Credit Card to Check In. On asking him to explain, he came back with a half @ss reason. Stood with my 5 month old kid wailing and wife in tow, I suggested in all my travels I had never been refused a Check In because of a lack on credit card. I was honoured 'Traders' was the exception to the world and asked him to suggest another decent hotel in the area. Seems my Barclay's Debit Card was OK after all and I had a lovely stay in the 'Traders'

I have a UK Lloyds registered at my brothers address,some UK annuity/pension plans will not pay into an overseas account.

Offshore account with Bank of Scotland.

Thai bank account with debit card.

Hope info of help......

if ur legal in the US , open an account there at a BIG bank (Chase, B of A, Wells), put some significant cash in it and get an ATM card .

u DO NOT want to be in thailand w/ only one (shaky) way to get to ur cash .

Sorry not really feasible. I leave US for good in one day. All my money comes from UK now-imagine trying to pay UK rent and UK offshore bank bond interest into Bank of America! Tricky.

Consensus seems to be I'll just have to try to open a UK offshore checking account.

Incidentally I didn't say that Barclays Bank had cancelled my UK checking account, all I said was BarclayCARD had threatened to do this, and I was worried that this policy might suddenly be applied by Barclays Bank too, though I have no reason for thinking so. But then I had no reason to expect Barclaycard to cancel my account after 10 years either!

[incidentally for anyone in same position: a quick phone call to Barclaycard with the statement that I was leaving the US to go back to UK (=untrue) and giving my brother's address seemed to completely satisfy them, and they are not going to cancel now. Not that I care about the card-I've used it once in the past three years]

I would move your account to HSBC (no problem ,with dealing with Thailand)

If you don't mind the minimum relationship balance of 25k Quids and the 15 Quid a month service charge.

Or for free banking you need to deposit 60k Quids with them for a Premier account

You might even call Barclays and ask them about moving your account offshore as it might be easier given your banking history with them.

Sound advice! :)

Agree that is sound advice for future, but if I had done that while still in US, to try to prearrange it, I'm afraid they would have pointed out that Barclays Offshore do not offer any banking services to residents of the US, (which they say in tiny letters on their offshore website). They do seem to be calling their offshore services 'Barclays Wealth' now and requiring minimum annual incomes or balances etc and charging a bomb in service charges .. which is not really what I need, as I'm not wealthy... still I will look into it as soon as I'm eligible..

Cheers

Then if you don't want / need to stay with Barclays then look at some of the other offshore banks and the services they offer.

Many are free if you stay in credit or above a small minimum balance of 3~5k Quids.

But if you also want a US$ account your choices are more limited.

Edit: or check out Singapore banks.

Edited by PattayaParent