Rip off at store

raro

Good for you for calling her out on it! Although I would have been surprised if we didn't have the regular negative posters shooting people down for anything and nearly everything that gets posted on here. I love the way they post their "opinion" too, "You should have..." as if what they think their opinion is a fact or something.

Since you did this, you may have scared her away from trying something like this again as well as other staff in the store that may also do it or are considering doing it. The cowards who walk away quietly because they believe they are "so Thai" and think all Thais would walk away (wrong) are the ones that encourage these scams.

Edited by blakegeee

The cowards who walk away quietly because they believe they are "so Thai" and think all Thais would walk away (wrong) are the ones that encourage these scams.

you should see my wife when she encounters such scam. That would be much tougher than I would ever be. This includes dealing with traffic cops. 200 Baht in your pocket? No way, Jose!

The point is, that if this person is stealing from the customers and her employer, then she is a thief.

You seem to think that it is ok to steal as long as it is only $2 and you think it is ok to allow her to continue. Maybe she does this 10 times per day - is that still ok?

When a thief/scammer is allowed to get away with it for so long, I've no doubt that they will get greedier and consider other ways to fleece the customers. If an unsuspecting customer walks out of the shop carrying an item that effectively has not been paid for there is an opening for a nice little shoplifting scam.

Would you go to Big C and walk out with a 100 Baht item without paying? Would you think that is alright because 100 Baht is nothing to a huge company like Big C? I don't think that you'd find that much good as a defence.

Agreed.

And carrying that forward a bit, I doubt that a certain former PM started out at a billion baht per shot.

Given that this appears to be an individual action and not store policy I don't see the reason for naming and shaming a business that appeared to have no part in the scam at all.

Topic title edited to remove name of store.

Given that this appears to be an individual action and not store policy I don't see the reason for naming and shaming a business that appeared to have no part in the scam at all.

fair enough, from feedback I got from other members in the meantime, there seems to be some pattern...

fair enough, from feedback I got from other members in the meantime, there seems to be some pattern...

There would be a pattern when a store have thieving staff, hopefully this has now been rectified.

I've always liked this store and have recommended it quite a few times and to my knowledge never had a problem there.

Seeing that a lot of responses you got here were: "Why bother do anything about it when it's just 75 Baht".

That mentality will keep a scam like this running until a customer like you shows up and puts an end to it. Nicely done!

Hopefully the culprits are now gone and others in the store have learnt a valuable lesson.

the other scam another member pointed me to, was relabeling LCD TVs with a higher model and higher price. There is a thread about it somewhere on this forum but I cannot be arse3d to look it up now... :)

Now that is ridiculous, there is a trusted Member (a Moderator) naming a Shop he got cheated and the Information gets changed to be anonym. So nobody knows anymore where he has to be more careful. That gives me the impression that I can not use Thai Visa anymore to get honest information. Its now getting over the top with regulation on here. There are concerns that there is no free press in Thailand, looks like Thaivisa is part of it. :)

You Guys responsible for this Forum should have a proper talk what you want. The way it is at the moment is just not acceptable anymore.

We all know that certain ThiaVisa members think Thailand is Nirvana on Earth. It ain't far from it but there's a lot wrong with this country and I congratulate the OP if he's managed to stop a THEFT, by a THIEF.

Now that is ridiculous, there is a trusted Member (a Moderator) naming a Shop he got cheated and the Information gets changed to be anonym. So nobody knows anymore where he has to be more careful. That gives me the impression that I can not use Thai Visa anymore to get honest information. Its now getting over the top with regulation on here. There are concerns that there is no free press in Thailand, looks like Thaivisa is part of it. :)

You Guys responsible for this Forum should have a proper talk what you want. The way it is at the moment is just not acceptable anymore.

Actually some food for thought.

well done ... you've probably managed to get a single mother of 2 on 4-5000 baht a month fired.....oh and you can speak thai !! clap clap ..

i wish i only had to deal with the problems of a lot of board members have here... i mean, what are we talking about 75 baht or somthing ??

Just what I thought when I read this. I wouldn't be surprised if the OP has not gone back to the shop to see if the girl's been sacked or not! I bet he's popular at work making sure his colleagues don't pinch the paper clips.

well done ... you've probably managed to get a single mother of 2 on 4-5000 baht a month fired.....oh and you can speak thai !! clap clap ..

i wish i only had to deal with the problems of a lot of board members have here... i mean, what are we talking about 75 baht or somthing ??

So you endorse and condone cheating , lieing, scamming.

I ask loud
I ask loud for the manager

can u let me know when ur gonna go out ? i don't want to be anywhere near u .

ps u shoulda' just walked away . pissing off thais and making them lose face is how loud farang get hurt or worse here (for a whole 75 baht no less)

but that's ok 'cause u can be loud

Or you can keep living the life of a gutless pussycat and enjoy the frequent sodomy from the Thais.

Why not both tell the manager that his staff are common theives and keep your wits about you to avoid the usual Thai way of settleing things with westeners (ie: the 10 tuk tuk driver beating or the piece of lead in the head).

I might add separately that whenever I have any problem in a retail outlet whether for cheap or expensive stuff , finding the manager/supervisor to complain or get more information is nigh on impossible. They never seem to be around. It's no wonder the staff are so pi*s poor when it comes to customer service they never get monitored, scrutinised or trained.

75bt x10 customers = 75bt nice days work. get real you pl--ker

That doesn't make any sense whatsoever in more ways then one.

Actually some food for thought.

...it's just because someone like the chinese's way more than others, get ready for ChinaVisa.com :) + the many desaparecidos members latino styles....

Congrats, Raro. Will have to keep an eye peeled for this. I encounter this at the tools booths in Bangkok fairly often. They take the money and then don't give me a receipt. It just goes into their pocket. So, I ask for a receipt. I do get some nasty looks.

The posters here who said you should have just ignored it are just like the Thai's who accept corruption. Shame on you. Don't put up with it and it won't happen so often! It's not just about the money....

agreed. i don't see what the vested interest is for ThaiVisa to protect any business.

agreed. i don't see what the vested interest is for ThaiVisa to protect any business.

Really? Perhaps you are not aware of the draconian libel laws in Thailand. From forum rules: "Libel involves the making of defamatory statements in a printed or fixed medium, such as a magazine or newspaper." Thailand has its own spin on it also and that even if it is true it is possible to be accused of libel if it can damage a business financially. This protection is for both Thaivisa and members.

about two years ago i bought in that shop a wireless audio/video transmitter/receiver. the salesman asked for 2,500 Baht cash but i wanted a receipt for guarantee purpose and insisted to pay at the cashier with my debit card where i paid... 2,000 Baht :)

I doubt she will be fired because she was scamming foreigners. If she was scamming the store or HISO Thais, she would of course be fired. Sorry, that's how I see it. She SHOULD be fired. Would you want someone like that working for you?

Why would you assume that the is a single Mother of 2?

If she gets fired, is it the fault of the person that she was trying to steal from? Maybe she will get fired because she is a thief and got caught.

So is it ok to steal as long as it is only 75 Baht? Is it ok to steal the equivalent of half a day's wages?

I suspect it is, if the money is coming from an external source (ie, farang) and not out of the till...

but of course everyone else involved must get their cut :)

ok, after I have reported to the public an apparent scam, broke a forum rule as a moderator, got sh1t from the "this is Thailand, live with it crowd" and seeing this thread dwindling off into discussing moderation as such and calling names, it is probably best to close this one.

Again, my advise is wherever you go, ask for a receipt. It protects you from becoming victim of a scam and whatever action you take once you discover it, lies in your discretion. I for one cannot let it go. If you prefer getting ripped off, your choice. :)