Looking For Xml Database Maker

bkkmadness

Title says it all really, looking for an XML database maker here in Thailand, does anybody know anyone in this field or perhaps help me with a few ideas to source the right people for the job?

I suppose costs depend on size of database/time inolved etc.?

Cheers for any help. :o

Edited by bkkmadness

Sorry mate, lost you a bit there on the title. XML database maker? Notepad! :o

Visual Studio.net has some very nice XML tools built in.

Or are you looking for someone/something to create and host XML files for you?

Times like this, I wish the web maker for my site was a member here because I'm not that clued up on this stuff at all. :D

But as far as I know, we need a database made, an XML one? Does that make any sense Insight? :o

If not I'll be going to see him in soon so repost with the correct info!

An XML "database" is just a plain text file with xml formatted text like

<xml>

<customer id="1">

<name>my name</name>

<address>my address</address>

</customeer>

</xml>

Unless you want to create this manually, you will prolly need some back end code and some kind of form to enter the data into to create the file. DOM (document object models) for XML are very simple. There are many ways to create an XML document.

Also, to render the XML you will prolly need to use something like XSLT to transform the data into an appropriate format e.g. HTML.

EDIT:

Many RDBMS have XML features, for example SQLXML for SQL Sever. You can store relational data and have it returned as XML. This is a great way of storing XML data as you get the robustness/security of a RDBMS.

Edited by Hikage

Hikage is on the ball on this one.

Bkkmadness, as your web designer what format or "schema" he wants the XML file and post his response on here, then we could give you an example of how to make it yourself.

Ok, back on with my web guy now, thanx for the help so far. :o

We are hoping to affilate with another site and use their content on our webpages, we've been told we can either take this content remotely with a XML feed, or we can build our own XML database and download their content to it.

We have decided that building our own database is the way to go, and either looking for someone to do this, or if it is not too complicated is it viable to do ourselves?

If we get someone to do this for us, where can we source the right people for the job, an efficient job and reasonably priced.

Does anybody know what kind of costs are involved for this kind of work?

Any developer worth their salt should be able to create an XML file programatically. If your websited is hosted on ASP servers, the best component to use is MSXML.

What was the reasoning behind producing your own XML files? To take live content from an XML file hosted on another server is relatively easy.

We need to take the bulk of the content from their XML database but we wish to change that content slightly in our own database.

Ah, looks like a job for XML Web Services.

We are hoping to affilate with another site and use their content on our webpages, we've been told we can either take this content remotely with a XML feed, or we can build our own XML database and download their content to it.

Beware of duplicating data. Syncronising data between databases is generally a bad idea. Better to use a client-server approach and and use their data directly.

Edited by Hikage

Beware of duplicating data. Syncronising data between databases is generally a bad idea. Better to use a client-server approach and and use their data directly.

I think we are now heading back to the original idea of just feeding straight from them and not making our own database now and not changing any content, but just curious as to why this is?

Thanks for all your help so far by the way Insight and Hikage, you've helped us with a few things. :o