Copy Dvds

Jockstar

Firstly when i bought my new PC i made a point of buying a DVD writer for copying movies to DVD etc. But recently i actually tried to copy a movie to a blank DVD disc. I used Nero. I copied the disc to Nero and tried to burn to disc but no luck. It said the disc isnt big enough. Its a 4.7GB 120minutes disc. Is there something i should know or do. Its already a copy that i'm trying to copy so no need to rip it and then copy. Any suggestions guys?

It might be that the Movie you're tryng to copy is on a dual layer DVD disk and is greater than 4.7 GB. When you put it in your DVD drive, and look at it's properties via My Computer, how many GBs of data is on there?

If more than 4.7 GB, you can use a free program called DVD Shrink to compress it down to a 4.7 GB so that it can be burnt to a single layer DVD.

Original movie dvd's and few pirated dvd's contains data from 4.2GB (Single Layer) to 8.5 GB (Dual Layer Single Side) and sometimes 17 GB (eg: Schindlers list spl edition) (Double Sided Dual Layer). Out of these 5-8 Gb data is common. So if you try to copy a 8Gb movie into a 4.2 Gb (It wont take 4.7GB... max is 4.3) disk, it wont accept and it gives the same error what you got.

First right click properties the original DVD and chk its size.If its more than 4.3 Gb and if you dont have a Dual Layer DVD Writer or a Dual Layer Blank DVD, then only option for you is to compress the Original DVD.

You can copy the VIDEO_TS folder to your HDD using a software DVD Decrypter with file mode selected and by selecting all the files (if you want the subtitles and menus) which will give you a folder full of decrypted files.

Use another software Powerdvd Copy to compress the whole movie to fit the 4.2 GB mark. This will give you a 4.2 Gb sized VIDEO_TS folder.

This folder you can burn using your nero and save it...

Goodluck...

any more clarifications, please pm me.

Edited by dr_strangelove

Original movie dvd's and few pirated dvd's contains data from 4.2GB (Single Layer) to 8.5 GB (Dual Layer Single Side) and sometimes 17 GB (eg: Schindlers list spl edition) (Double Sided Dual Layer). Out of these 5-8 Gb data is common. So if you try to copy a 8Gb movie into a 4.2 Gb (It wont take 4.7GB... max is 4.3) disk, it wont accept and it gives the same error what you got.

Right.

I could copy ripped movie file to 4.7GB DVD only when I compressed it down to 4.3GB file size.

Copying DVDs 'aint as easy as copying regular CDs :D

Commercial pressed DVDs are invariably DVD-9 format (9 Gigs on a disk), a DVD-R can only fit about half as much so you need to re-encode the video data to fit. They are also usually encrypted (to prevent copying) so you need to decrypt the data as well.

It is not difficult once you know how, my dad can do it, and he's a retired bus driver :D

Have a look here:-

http://www.dvdhelp.com

As a quick guide to get you started:-

Simple instructions.

You will need:-

DVD Decrypter (free from the web)

DVD2ONE (also free from the web)

Nero Burning ROM or similar.

Instructions.

Run DVD Decrypter with the default settings. This decodes the DVD onto your hard drive. Make sure you know where the files went :o

If the files total more than 4 Gigs use DVD2ONE to shrink it down to fit (If the files are less than 4 Gigs you can burn them without shrinking.). Again the default values

work just fine. The free version only runs in 'movie only' mode so if you want all the special features from the DVD you'll have to register it. Let me know, I'll give you

the codes

Burn the shrunk files to your DVD with Nero running in 'DVD video' mode.

Watch and enjoy :D:D

Dead easy. It's not complicated once you know how. :D

Incidentally, if you are copying 'hooky' DVDs from Pantip they may already be ripped and be smaller than 4.7 G, copy them using Nero in 'copy DVD' mode and ignore the above :D

Edited by Crossy

Commercial pressed DVDs are invariably DVD-9 format (9 Gigs on a disk), a DVD-R can only fit about half as much so you need to re-encode the video data to fit.

Thanks for that bit of info - I was wondering what was meant when the guys selling the dodgy DVDs were proud of the fact that their's were DVD-9.

I thought that it was just a trendy local term for better quality, obviously it's a lot more basic than that. More data stored for the same movie = better resolution/sound....in theory :o

Cheers

Rags

OK , you need nero installed for this to work

use www.google.com

and download

Dvd shirnk

and DVD43 (or dvddecrypter)

then rip the the dvd to hd and burn it. It needs to be compressed and css-cracked which those programs will do, both very straight forward, dvd43 will run in the sys tray and crack everything.

Commercial pressed DVDs are invariably DVD-9 format (9 Gigs on a disk), a DVD-R can only fit about half as much so you need to re-encode the video data to fit.

Thanks for that bit of info - I was wondering what was meant when the guys selling the dodgy DVDs were proud of the fact that their's were DVD-9.

I thought that it was just a trendy local term for better quality, obviously it's a lot more basic than that. More data stored for the same movie = better resolution/sound....in theory :o

Cheers

Rags

I dont think DVD 9 is always 9GB and original ... DVD 9 is the pirated copy from the original DVD region1 or 2 which comes with the bonus materials and it has better quality than DVD5...Dvd5 is too much compressed and sometimes taken frm VCD's or or shot in miniDV frm a theater.

Cheers

Rags

I dont think DVD 9 is always 9GB and original ... DVD 9 is the pirated copy from the original DVD region1 or 2 which comes with the bonus materials and it has better quality than DVD5...Dvd5 is too much compressed and sometimes taken frm VCD's or or shot in miniDV frm a theater.

Agreed.

The ones I was referring to are definitely not originals, but the vendors will generally sell you a "normal pirate copy" for one price and a "DVD-9" version for a little more.

As with all the dodgy DVDs the whole process is a little hit and miss, but the last few pirate DVD-9 copies that I bought did have Dolby 5.1 surround sound and full menu features.

Ok downloaded DVD Encrypter, DVD Shrink and also have NERO installed. Yet i still cant get this DVD to write. Can someone please give and idiots guide? Step by step. It should be easy but for some reason. Its not happening. :o

I managed to get a movie from my HD onto DVD. Using a free program called burn4free. But it wont play in my DVD player. But it will play on my DVD player for the PC. Standalone DVD Specs, Samsung DVD-M108. Have read through my manual but cant find anything about whether it will only play + or -. The disc i have recorded to is DVD-RW. My PC DVD writer specs are Samsung TS 552U. Any help would be good. I have tried to watch the movie on my PC. No problems but what i want is to be able to watch on my normal DVD player.

Edited by Jockstar

Cheers

Rags

It used to be the case that DVD 5 disks were the camcorder theatre copies, whilst the DVD 9 were straight copies of the originals, so far superior than the old DVD 5 copies. But now most DVD 5 disks sold are rips of pre-release copies, often given to members in the movie industry, who then pass them onto the pirates. The picture quality of DVD 5 disks is now just as good as DVD 9 discs, so much so, that many of the 'DVD 9' disks sold in pantip are in fact DVD 5. To fit a DVD 9 disk onto a DVD 5 disk, they simply extract just the movie, and leave out all the extras you usually find on an original movie. There is software that can do a similar thing - this an alternative to using compression. Some DVD players have problems playing compressed disks, especially if the compression is too high.

A number of 'old' full retail films from a few years back were all knocked up on DVD 5's before the 9's were in production.

The rips you mention on 5's, are the screener versions which are sent to the likes of the rating classification people, the only downside with them is that some (not all) have the watermarks embedded in the film and you may get the occassional black & white screen with the floating text stating that this is the property of such and such movie studios etc...

As mentioned before, the program DVDShrink, does a grand job at downsizing full blown retail discs, it also removes any copy protection and region coding, and it's freeware :o, brilliant for backing up DVD9's with very little in the way of quality loss.

A number of 'old' full retail films from a few years back were all knocked up on DVD 5's before the 9's were in production.

The rips you mention on 5's, are the screener versions which are sent to the likes of the rating classification people, the only downside with them is that some (not all) have the watermarks embedded in the film and you may get the occassional black & white screen with the floating text stating that this is the property of such and such movie studios etc...

As mentioned before, the program DVDShrink, does a grand job at downsizing full blown retail discs, it also removes any copy protection and region coding, and it's freeware :D, brilliant for backing up DVD9's with very little in the way of quality loss.

hi'

my 2cts here ...

any cd or dvd has to be closed and in the correct format to be watched on dvd player(not pc).

using Nero, do you use nero vision?

if no, you should :o

shrink the dvd to fit a 4.7gb and burn it with chapters and options ...

Intervideo DVDCopy platinium3 makes a great job for this :D (from version2)

francois

• 2 months later...

If I can also hijack this thread:

I have one of those Sony handycam recorders which records straight to mini dvd. I would like to back these up onto regular DVD but I don't have a DVD writer.

Can anyone recommend any company in Bangkok which can do this for me or alternatively if anyone reading this has the equipment I would be happy to pay them instead.

I have one of those Sony handycam recorders which records straight to mini dvd. I would like to back these up onto regular DVD but I don't have a DVD writer.

Can anyone recommend any company in Bangkok which can do this for me or alternatively if anyone reading this has the equipment I would be happy to pay them instead.

Just a suggestion Blake, but maybe one of those street sellers who only sell original DVD movies :o could possibly do you a copy quite cheaply :D

Just a suggestion Blake, but maybe one of those street sellers who only sell original DVD movies :o could possibly do you a copy quite cheaply :D

You reckon? My guess is they just the things in bulk from one of a few big suppliers.

You reckon? My guess is they just the things in bulk from one of a few big suppliers.

Maybe but where's there's a Baht, there's a way. :D Worth asking though

Dude, I have a DVD writer. I will glady do it for you for free next time :D

My price will be all night free beers at the usual place :o

Might turn to be expensive after all :D

Edited by Butterfly

from my experience, branded DVD's (Sony, Samsung, LG, etc.) dont play all discs. But the crappy Chinese-made ones do.

Isn't that amazing ? you would think that the brand name would have the research to produce decent software for DVD decoding, but instead the Chinese use OpenSource crap from the Internet and it works better

Ahh but they have done the research.. however I often wonder if the research is aimed at making players that won't play "backup" discs instead of trying to improve compatibility !!! , thus shooting themself's in the foot ,who wants to buy a player that can only play half their DVD collection...when the one from China is not only cheaper but can play everything ....doh

Dude, I have a DVD writer. I will glady do it for you for free next time :D

My price will be all night free beers at the usual place :o

Might turn to be expensive after all :D

Cheers mate - yes beers on me usual place (which one is the usual place?). Will be in touch next week.