Want Architect In Korat, Pakchong Area

triffid

I want to make a small house on my wife's land - out in the sticks, 30+ kms from Pakchong. We may go to live there at some point so I want something that will work for me. If it's the right architect and prepared to make the journey there I don't mind where he is based. I'd be very grateful for recommendations - so much the better if they come with relevant information or personal experience. Many thanks.

Have you considered purchasing a book of house plans? I know, none will be what you really want in a home, but consider this.......

You can purchase architectural design software, such as CHIEF ARCHITECT and 3D HOME ARCHITECT which are simple to use. Take a design from the book, put in the walls etc., you can manipulate their position to your needs, push a button and the program gives you a 3D rendering. You can define the walls, so with the push of another button, the program develops a Bill of Quantities. Another button and the program will automatically place all the electrical outlets to Western Standards.

With this plan in hand you can now go to any Architect and they can/will prepare your construction drawings with detail sheets.

Another added bonus is that you can put in furniture, finishes (Tile, Paint) and fixtures etc. and you can see what a room should look like when finished. You can also define your property and from a library you can landscape the house with trees, flowers and water.

Does it take time, YES. But not really that much time once you learn the program. I have spent weeks making different variations on a design just to see "What if?". The only downside that I can see, is that with this tool in your hands, a project that might have cost 800,000 Baht :D would eventually cost me millions after I get done <deleted> with it! :)

Just an idea...... good luck.

Somewhere on TV is a link to a series of Thai house plans that are all officially approved. They range from simple huts almost to some very nice contemporary versions to traditional Lanna style platform houses. Each plan has a full set of plan and elevations as well as specifications for electrics, plumbing and drainage. Have a hunt through the site. If you cant find it, PM me and I'll sort through what I magpied off the web a year or so ago to find the link.

Isaanaussie

I would not recommend Cheif Architect to you if you aren't well familiar with designing architecture.

Chief Architect is a brilliant program but you need to know a lot. It has so many parameters wich make you

easily confused.

A simplier but not less usable is SketcUp wich you can download from Google for free

http://sketchup.google.com/download/index2.html

You can also take a look at this site www.thailand-isaan.com where you can see all designs done with SketchUp.

A good architect located in Kohn Kaen is [email protected].

Good Luck

I'd like to thank everyone so far who have offered suggestions and given me places or sites to follow up. I will now digest all this as time allows, and anyway being not so adept with the computor I will be slow to get the hang of the programmes specified. I will probably get back here after that with supplementary requests for clarifications or help. In the meantime I of course welcome further suggestionsa nd advice.

At the moment I have in mind a house of bauhaus design using cement and wood - flat roof, big windows, flat roofs, rounded corners, cement exposed but of course smoothed; wood floor and fittings inside. Two bedrooms (one very small), a study, two bathrooms, terrace(s) etc etc. The inside area about 150 sq m. I will already have about 50% of the wood needed.

I want to sink a well so as to have my own source of water, and I'm wondering about sun panels for heating the water.

Crazily vague to price at this stage, I know. But if anyone would hazard a maximum cost I could end up with it would be a big help.

I would hazard no Thai builder would touch that project with 'a barge pole.'

Sun panels are very expensive over here and 'Flat roof' WHY? They are nothing but problems in a 1st world country, let alone a 3rd world country. Big windows = big heat. Wood floor/fitting could mean future wood treatment(Termites). Hope you don't intend to drink the bore water?

I am very sorry for sounding so negative, but I think you need to think about this further.

Edited by Dave the Dude

Those initial ideas of mine are not cast in cement, to make the obvious pun. They were inspired by a house I liked in Chiangmai. But I'm very much in a learning process and open minded. In fact I've now looked at some of the sites above and seen a few - though only a few - designs that appeal.

Hanseman, are the designs of the chap on thailand-isan.com adaptable on sketch-up?

will adapt them or discuss them - for a fee? Or are they just something you buy/download and then work with someone else to adapt.

I will probably also email tom@thai-lnd-house,com to get an idea of how he works with clients, procedure, fee calculation etc. Can you give me a background on him as an architect?

I would hazard no Thai builder would touch that project with 'a barge pole.'

Sun panels are very expensive over here and 'Flat roof' WHY? They are nothing but problems in a 1st world country, let alone a 3rd world country. Big windows = big heat. Wood floor/fitting could mean future wood treatment(Termites). Hope you don't intend to drink the bore water?

I am very sorry for sounding so negative, but I think you need to think about this further.

I am adamant about using wood, especially as I will have quite a bit of it already - old teak, for the floors and internal fittings. And the bore water would not be used for drinking. Here in Chaingmai I used such for everything else including cooking to no ill effect. The flat roof and solar panels etc I may dispense with if they make no sense.

Edited by triffid