Pre Nup - What I Have Been Told

kunash

I have talked to a firm of international lawyers in the UK, who have dealings with Thailand, and they tell me if i have a Buddist marriage ceromony in Thailand, as that is not legally binding, then if you did ever get ''divorced'' or seperated at a later stage, the thai partner cannot claim anything from your estatel, as you are not married. so a prenup is not required. if you were to have children, then you would need one, and also if you were legally married then have one to, as your thai wife could start divorce proceedings in the UK.

Registered or not, a legal marriage is legal.

Not true, no legal registration mean the Marriage did not happen at all

you can go ahead and have a Buddhist marriage even if you are not divorce. But you can only have one wife so the second one is not legal at all

Only a registration of the marriage at the amphur is considered a legal marriage. A wedding ceremony is not a legal marriage.

A pre-nup has nothing to do with the children. You are, together with the mother, responsible for their upbringing and the financil costs of that. A pre-nup stating that you will not be rsponsible for any children will be void.

Worldwide advice

Never tell your loved one what you own or where it is.

Never admit to owning anything that you can't walk away from.

Never take your loved one to your home country for any reason (or let her know your address or landline in that country).

Some people even go so far as to never tell their real name (Thai style only use nickname)

Then no need for pre-nup as they can't find anything to 'share'.

My loved one knows about my local Thai bank account, any money in it comes from cash deposits.

Pre-nups give the partner too much information about you ....... why take the risk?

Thai advice

if you were to have children, then you would need one, and also if you were legally married then have one to, as your thai wife could start divorce proceedings in the UK.

In Thailand if you are not married at the amphur office, the man no has legal responsibility or rights over any children.

If you are married at the amphur office, on divorce the man gets 50 percent custody of any children, support is set at approx 3100bht a month per child and is not dependant on what the man earns or owns, there is no system of enforcement in place to collect payments awarded, assets gained after the marriage should be split 50/50, apart from property in Thailand where you will have signed a document (knowingly or not) stating it is entirely hers and you will make no claim on it ever.

Without your signature your wife/gf cannot get a visa to visit the UK, so would unlikely be able to start divorce proceedings there.

If anyone knows any different for a fact please let me know.

Sorry, kunash, seems to me like your solicitors don't know what they are taking about, or are trying to extract a bit of cash from you for 'makework'.

Edited by sarahsbloke

If its registered at the UK emmbassy then I'm sure it's legal and binding,if not then the UK will not acknowledge the marriage.

There is absolutly no need to register a marriage at the British Embassy, as Mario2008 correctly says, if the marriage is registered at the Amphur a marriage certificate is issued which is recognised by the UK.

http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for...ister-marriage/

Edited by theoldgit

There has been a recent case in Australia where a Wat "marriage" in thailand which had never been registered at the amphur was considered to constitute a genuine marriage. In Australia defacto relationships over two years are considered similar to marriages for property settlements except forsuperanuation but marriage is slightly more favorableto the claimant.

Please before relying on the fact that a wat ceromony is not legal check well on this,

Never tell your loved one what you own or where it is.

Never admit to owning anything that you can't walk away from.

Never take your loved one to your home country for any reason (or let her know your address or landline in that country).

Some people even go so far as to never tell their real name (Thai style only use nickname)

Then no need for pre-nup as they can't find anything to 'share'.

My loved one knows about my local Thai bank account, any money in it comes from cash deposits.

Pre-nups give the partner too much information about you ....... why take the risk?

i couldnt live like that. why get married in the first place?

i couldnt live like that. why get married in the first place?

1) legal rights over children (my primary reason)

2) demonstrate commitment to partner (adds a lot of stability to the relationship)

3) stops them shagging around (or restricts it a bit)

4) entitles you to a mia noy (often with permission from mia luang)

5) Visa (not that good a reason as a bugger to get)

I've actually found that Thai partners don't really understand western finances, and talking about the past only leads to arguments. You will generally never be told anything true or verifiable about what your Thai partner owns, bank accounts, previous relationships, if you question them it always leads to a temper tantrum .... so why do you feel the need to share?

Ever tried talking about pensions, trust funds, investment portfolio with a normal Thai (male or female), easier to explain the concept of dark matter.

Father give money ......... or daughter work in big city send money ........... much easier!

Edited by sarahsbloke