Finally Had Enough. Reasons For Leaving Thailand

I suggest anybody who lives in Vietnam/Laos/Cambodia to really play down how nice their respective country might be. Why in God's name you'd want Hillbilly and his mates rocking up letching over young girls and perennially complaining about prices/comparing things to Bangkok I really don't know. Just say Bangkok's way better and leave it at that.

:)

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suggest anybody who lives in Vietnam/Laos/Cambodia to really play down how nice their respective country might be. Why in God's name you'd want Hillbilly and his mates rocking up letching over young girls and perennially complaining about prices/comparing things to Bangkok I really don't know. Just say Bangkok's way better and leave it at that.

:)

Good idea!!

Keep the riff raff away

^some taxis do have rigged meters.

But of course that's not applicable in Thiland is it?

I must have imagined those hundreds of posts on Thai Visa complaining about rigegd meters in Bangkok, or refusal to use the meter.

I never said it was exclusive to Vietnam. I was making a point that when the OP said he wanted to leave Thailand (and possibly go to Vietnam) to get away from the double pricing in Thailand, he won't necessarily escape it in neighboring countries.

All the reasons mentioned by the OP should be reasons to not come to Thailand.

Because, well, the rules did not really change much in the last 20 years, they're actually a bit, a little bit, better now.

So reasons for not coming, indeed, reasons for leaving, not really... :):D

Sorry that was to read Countries not counties. haha

more than half of your stated reasons are really having everything to do with yourself....

your own personal choice of location and life style....

i have a hunch that there are some other unstated behind the scene very personal reasons....

but i do not wish to pry....

there are several of us who choose to spend our time and life in this imperfect country where mosquitoes are rampant.... corruption is almost everywhere.... even though it has improved tremendously during the last 10 yrs or so....

on the positive side.... clean-air outside of bkk.... forestry is still fresh and green.... fruits are abundant and inexpensive.... people outside of big towns are still very personable, if you treat them likewise.... my door is always open and no one steals anything from my residence as yet (knock on wood).... even though they like to borrow some tools and keep them a long time.... :D

and their driving skills and habits.... well, if i take this seriously enough.... i might just be thinking of, ehh.... no, not leaving thailand....

but moving further up the mountain range.... where i can still have my satellite channels.... watching the redshirts shouting contradictory monologues between and among themselves.... enjoying the premiere acting as a house father with rebellious children who are running and taking control over the household telling their parents what they can and cannot do.... to report to them whimsically.... :D

and now the parents are being told as when they can cohabit.... and i would probably stop watching.... when the parents agree to their children's polite request as when the parents should vacate the premise.... so the children can have some adult fun.... :)

i love to watch this live show.... and best of all.... it is real life and it is free.... :D

where is TOUGH LOVE.... when thailand needs it most.... :D

OMFG !!!!!! Yes of course this is my personal thoughts and opinion. I am the OP. Do you think I can post ads assuming what other peole think? One gentleman had it correct here when replying to a post. I think he stated 1) Think, 2)Read, 3)Think,

4)read the OP, 5) Reply

First and foremost I AM the OP so please do not correct my grammar or spelling again. hahah just joking.

Thank you for all of your replies so far, some positive some not so positive. Some are just way off subject so I will give a re-OP:

1) I have not decided on Vietnam yet but was only stating thet they are now offering great news about the country. I will investigate more first.

2) To the folk living in Vietnam or used to, I was just saying that due to Thailand falling fast as far as an expat retirement or holiday place that other boardering countries are taking advantage of this by trying to offer to the ones who WANT to leave Thailand. Just like Cambodia hiring Thaksin as their financial advisor was the best thing they could do as Thaksin is a smart Business man no matter weather your for him or against him and he will turn their ecconomy around for sure. For me I have no political view one way or another as I only chose to live here weather the government is to my liking or not. I am a Tourist in this country not a political opinionist.

3) Please do not correct my grammar or spelling mistakes. lol

4) I never said that I hate Thailand. On the contrary, I have enjoyed it for 10 years and lived here enjoying local food, local culture, The monarchy (Long live the graetest King in the world), The Thai's and learning the language. I do not WANT to move but would sooner see things better here but doesnt seem like it is heading in that direction as of yet.

5) I should have been a little more specific sorry but when I mentioned owning Business in your own name I was refering to Laos. Cambodia has changed their laws off and on over the past years regarding land ownership etc. Some farangs still own houses and land there even after the laws were changed due to the Grandfather Clause. I will research more next time before I post such things.

Anyways folks thanks again for all the nice words and also for the not so nice words lol. Like I say I still have beer in the fridge here and am not on the plane YET.

PS, I'm not moving to ANY country for the easy woman etc. I am beond that life style. And yes I can be comfortable NOT eating at KFC, MK, McDonalds etc for years and can always make a BBQ if not sold there. :)

banjo-playing-smile.gif

# Last but not least.........I'M TIRED OF FARANGS SCREWING FARANGS HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!

...err because that never happens anywhere else ? :):D

Well in my home country the Asians, Indians, Russians etc etc all kinda help each other and stick together. They screw anyone BUT each other but then again I'm not sure what country you are from?

anyway i have never lived in thailand but i have been to thailand and stayed there for a few weeks-months at a time. I have had thai gfs and am happier with thai gfs than vietnamese gfs, maybe because i can relate more to thai culture than vietnamese culture. It is true that I do not see people spitting, urinating on the streets, eating with their mouths open, talking loud, at least in the area where I hang out in bkk, but I do see these people all the time in hcmc. I am just giving my honest observation, and anybody is free to say whatever...the important thing is you gotta be where you feel happy...I do not feel happy here, and I feel happier when I go to bkk. Of course I may change my mind if I do move to bkk....anyway...let's just be happy and try to find a place where we all feel happy and at home..that's all..if it is vietnam, then more power to you...if you can see a natural beauty in vietnamese girls, then more power to you. ....by the way, i am japanese american and am not seen as "farang" by thais...in addition i can speak thai..maybe that's why i feel more at home in thailand than vietnam...also i can find better japanese restaurants in bkk than hcmc...but then that's my opinion....you are free to agree or disagree...talk to ya all later.

It seems like I picked a really sad time to move TO Thailand. Oh well, maybe being a contrarian will pay off, get in on the ground floor perhaps . . . . .

I did spend a month in Hanoi recently. I found it over all a little cheaper than BKK. The locals were out to milk the tourists a little but not too bad.

Malaysia is a nice country , friendly people and nice beaches, it would be my choice outside of Thailand. And its very cheap to live in KL.

Edited by balo

^some taxis do have rigged meters.

But of course that's not applicable in Thiland is it?

I must have imagined those hundreds of posts on Thai Visa complaining about rigegd meters in Bangkok, or refusal to use the meter.

I never said it was exclusive to Vietnam. I was making a point that when the OP said he wanted to leave Thailand (and possibly go to Vietnam) to get away from the double pricing in Thailand, he won't necessarily escape it in neighboring countries.

But dodgy taxis are not a case of double pricing, not even in the same league.

Edited by PattayaParent

They're not the same as double pricing at parks and museums, true. But they can still represent "double pricing" if there is typically one meter price for unsuspecting foreigners and one price for locals. I'm sure some Vietnamese people have been scammed by their taxi drivers, but all of the locals I encountered knew better. I think the overall point is that if the OP wants to escape scams, double pricing, and being taken advantage of, he's not necessarily going to get away from it in neighboring countries.

They're not the same as double pricing at parks and museums, true. But they can still represent "double pricing" if there is typically one meter price for unsuspecting foreigners and one price for locals. I'm sure some Vietnamese people have been scammed by their taxi drivers, but all of the locals I encountered knew better. I think the overall point is that if the OP wants to escape scams, double pricing, and being taken advantage of, he's not necessarily going to get away from it in neighboring countries.

In the Southeast Asia section there is a threat running that discusses alternatives to Thailand..........I think we are narrowing the list down..........Uruguay and Ecuador are rising to the top. Check it out. It is not about Thailand.........it is about alternatives.

9. Of course there's no censorship in Bangkok. More proof you've never been there.

Many websites and books are banned in Thailand, especially those that support an unfavourable view of "you know who"?

RAZZ

Actually, very few books are banned, but distributers agree voluntarily to not distribute certain books that are critical of the rich and powerful. However, some of them are easily found in Thailand's biggest English bookstores despite the questionable content.

Hi, let me introduce myself first..i can speak thai and conversational vietnamese, and i work in ho chi minh city, vietnam. I have also been going to thailand very often, once a month. I have also had a few thai girlfriends as well as a few vietnamese girlfriends...based on my experience, you impression of vietnam is somewhat different from mine..I am not sure if you have lived in vietnam, but i will give you my comments in regards to vietnam, in comparison with thailand:

1. thai girls are prettier than vietnamese girls..or at least they know how to look good by wearing makeups, sexy dresses...vietnamese girls look as if they just came from the countryside.

2. things are not cheap here. i work with thai people from bangkok in vietnam, and even they say that it is not cheap here. of course it is cheap if you can live like locals but i don't think you can eat like locals everyday and stay at local apartments. i spend approx. 5-10 usd a meal and more than 1000 usd for my rent, while i could spend less in bangkok for similar lifestyle.

3. people are not nice here. they try to con you once they know that you are not from here. they do not con me any more cuz they know that i live and work here, but they will con any foreigners. i am not sure why you think people here are nicer than thailand. maybe because i can speak thai well but i have not got conned in thailand.

4. internet here is slow...slower than thailand...

5. you can still find thai girls that are not "commercialized" or "westernized"...but again you have to speak thai to get to know these girls...i get to know girls who are really nice..but then again i speak thai. i can find these girls in vietnam as well but i do not find them interesting..maybe because they are too ..."innocent"..or they do not know anything outside of vietnam, unless you meet one of a few girls from rich families who have been or have lived overseas. anyway it is up to you to choose what kind of girls u want to date or what...i prefer to date thai girls..

6. ok, some parts of vietnam can be beautiful but then so is thailand. beach resorts in thailand are 10 times nicer than those in vietnam..

7. as for visa, it is relatively easy to get one but u have to get it renewed every few years...a lot of paperwork too..remember, it is a communist country.

8. people here are rude and not civilized..they do not know how to queque..they burp in front of the others at restaurants, they talk loud, they make noise when they eat, they do not wait for you to get out but push you back in when you are trying to get out of elevators....i do not experience these in bangkok.....

9..ok it is politically stable..but it is a communist country...there is a lot of censorship..i cannot even access facebook here...i don't remember having this problem in bkk.

10. overall i am not too happy here...but i do feel comfortable when i go to bkk...

after reading all these, be my guest if you still want to move to vietnam. i am in the process of transferring to bangkok office of my firm and am looking forward to transferring in 2011. good luck.....

This was a commercial on behalf of the Tourist Authority of Thailand. :)

Thanks for repeating it, Carmine. I missed it the first time.

SC

Sorry that was to read Countries not counties. haha

Why don't you respond to the topic as intended? Pulling up OP's on spelling and/or grammar is not on. Come to think of it, your grammar leaves much to be desired, I guess thats what you get with having a 'Hill Billy Degree'. :)

Try reading before posting!

Thailand is increasingly losing it's appeal: it's a real pain for me to earn money without a demo, a holiday or just farcical business problems, then there is the exchange rate, and now the chance of catching a stray bullet!

I can see why people want to leave, but for me I'll rough it out for as long as I can and hope things get better.

Having sailed on the good ship LOS for 14 years and watched it slowly sinking it's now time to launch the lifeboat and leave the sinking ship to the rose tinted glasses brigade who can't see any further than the end of their noses.

Make no mistake some parts of upper and central Thailand are in danger of becoming as dangerous as south Thailand

I've lived in Hong Kong, Canada, Oz, Thailand, India, Peru, China, and the UK and I like Thailand best of the bunch (Canada & Oz tie for a close 2nd). I speak, read and write fluent Thai which makes a huge difference living and working in Thailand. I've found the people in Thailand to be the friendliest of these countries which I've lived in, but speaking fluent Thai again helps heaps. Thailand's not for everyone, especially now with the politics being so horrible.

Even though I still love the LOS, I'm always interested in what life is like elsewhere. Please keep us posted on what your life is like once you've relocated.

Best wishes. :)

Did you find learning thai was difficult as i have big problems speaking thai.Been here nearly 7 years and tried to self teach myself but i find the language very difficult,especialy the writing.

I have lived in a number of countries - including Thailand - on 3 continents. It seems that whenever you are seriously considering a foreign country you are selling your own mind massively on it; huge rose-colored glasses are practically perma-glued into place. It seems our psyche needs this to gather courage for this move.

I'd never consider moving to Viet nam personally, although I've known the place since 1999. There is just something about it I do not trust; being subjected to questioning at the airport if you stayed with a friend instead of in a hotel being just one of the things.

Unfortunately- the alternatives to thailand in the neighbouring area- cambodia, vietnam, laos- are far far worse than thailand in terms of corruption, double pricing, living standards for expats etc etc.

Good luck to anyone leaving Thailand to other shores and let us all know how you get on.

If I decide to leave Thailand, maybe the Phillipines is an alternative for the retired.

Anyone have any input?

Good luck to anyone leaving Thailand to other shores and let us all know how you get on.

If I decide to leave Thailand, maybe the Phillipines is an alternative for the retired.

Anyone have any input?

You'll not find the Philippines as safe, happy and free as Thailand, and they suffer a bit from armed insurrection in the outlying provinces, and occasional coups. Last time I went, my flight in was delayed several hours for an attempted coup, and I didn't get to the pub till five in the morning

Manila suffers from much worse pollution than Bangkok, and the metro / LRT - with the exception of the excellent Line 2 - is not a patch on MRT or BTS.

Language and communication problems are particularly frustrating, because people speak good English

SC

I think Thailand has the best quality of life for expats in the ASEAN region. Sure, you can go to Cambodia or Vietnam, but it is not cheap there unless you are willing to live like a local.

For example, a luxury condominium/apartment is much cheaper in Thailand than Vietnam or Cambodia. And getting ripped off in the other countries is far more likely. The people are very poor and farang make easy targets. I remember getting charged $6 at a food stall in Phnom Penh for just a small dish the other time I visited.

I enjoy visiting other countries in the region, but I would never move there any time soon. I have everything I need in Thailand; good hospitals, low prices, excellent cuisine, beaches, & pretty women :). It's perfect, except for a few annoyances. But I am willing to ignore those.