Heat Stroke Warning As Thailand Sizzles

george

Heat stroke warning as country sizzles

30129065-01.jpg

BANGKOK: -- With temperatures across the country hitting 40 degrees Celsius, the Public Health Ministry yesterday issued a warning advising people to stay indoors and avoid getting a heat stroke - a lifethreatening condition that claimed seven lives over the past two years.

Public Health Minister Jurin Laksanawisit said exposure to heat could result in abnormally high body temperature, sometimes exceeding 40 degrees Celsius, which increases the of dying by 17 to 70 per cent.

Youngsters, the elderly and people with chronic diseases could develop severe symptoms such as high body temperature, palpitations, asthma, confusion and heat exhaustion.

According to the Public Health Ministry's records, five people have become ill from heat stroke this year. Heat strokes killed four people and made 80 ill in 2008, while about 32 people were diagnosed with heat stroke in 2009. Last year, eight soldiers were also admitted to hospital for heat stroke and three died.

Jurin has advised people to drink at least six to eight glasses of water every day and avoid strong sunlight.

According to the Meteorological Department, temperatures might hit between 35 and 41 degrees all this week nationwide.

Temperatures in the North are expected hit 38-41 degrees Celsius, followed by the Central region going as high as 40 degrees Celsius. The East and South appear to be slightly cooler, with 37 degrees Celsius being the highest.

The hottest region in the country yesterday was Mae Hong Son, where temperatures hit 41.6 degrees Celsius for the first time in 20 years. In addition, 30 cows died from malnutrition because the drought had dried up the grass, their main source of nutrition.

The provincial governor has ordered the Department of Livestock Development to quickly solve this problem.

According to Smith Dharmasaroja, chairman of the National Disaster Warning Centre, so far this year, 15 people have already died from heat stroke, the highest ever in Thailand.

He added that the extremely hot temperatures and freak thunderstorms were the result of the ElNino phenomenon.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-05-12

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

And if you are or find a victim, this page http://www.medicinenet.com/heat_stroke/article.htm will tell you how to treat it.

From the above link:-

How can heat stroke be prevented?

* The most important measures to prevent heat strokes are to avoid becoming dehydrated and to avoid vigorous physical activities in hot and humid weather.

* If you have to perform physical activities in hot weather, drink plenty of fluids (such as water and sports drinks), but avoid alcohol, caffeine, and tea which may lead to dehydration.

* Your body will need replenishment of electrolytes (such as sodium) as well as fluids if you sweat excessively or perform vigorous activity in the sunlight for prolonged periods.

* Take frequent breaks to hydrate yourself. Wear hats and light-colored, lightweight, loose clothes.

BANGKOK: -- With temperatures across the country hitting 40 degrees Celsius, the Public Health Ministry yesterday issued a warning advising people to stay indoors and avoid getting a heat stroke - a lifethreatening condition that claimed seven lives over the past two years.

So if you are being warned to stay inside to avoid heatstroke (killed 7 in 2 years)

Shouldn't they warn you to stay inside and avoid being run over (killed 5000 in 2 years)

* If you have to perform physical activities in hot weather, drink plenty of fluids (such as water and sports drinks), but avoid alcohol, caffeine, and tea which may lead to dehydration.

* Your body will need replenishment of electrolytes (such as sodium) as well as fluids if you sweat excessively or perform vigorous activity in the sunlight for prolonged periods.

I have been told by my GP that "sports drinks" are not advisable as they contain high amounts of caffeine,as per most of the stuff on the shelves in Thailand..He recommends electrolyte drinks and water mixed with grenandine syrup (aka Hales) which is very refreshing ! :) .

I went to Lotus yesterday and I think the heat is affecting people's equilibrium. It felt like I was in Zombieland. I kept walking into and around people that looked like they had no idea of where they were or which direction to go. They had that glazed eye look.

I am looking forward to the rainy season. But then we get the idiots that don't understand how to drive in the rain. <sigh>

A few weeks ago, when it was terrifically hot, I ended up with heat exhaustion which, despite the confusing use of the term in the article, is not heatstroke but can be a precursor. I had done all the right things - plenty of water, hat, light clothes, take it easy...and still got nailed. It was not a pleasant experience at all - and I can only imagine from this how rough heat stroke itself must be.

Ok, I fall into one of the high-risk groups - just a bit of a dodgy heart. Even so, I've gone through hot spells like that before with no ill effect. Fortunately, the GP in this little town in Issan recognized it immediately, a couple of scripts, bed rest in air conditioning...still took almost a week to return to normal.

So to quote Hill Street Blues: Let's be careful out there!

Strange report. Top part talks about 7 lives in 2 years and further down it is mentioned that heat strokes claimed 15 lives this year alone. I know math can be such a confusing thing, or maybe it is the heat? :)

Edited by Motoon

I have been told by my GP that "sports drinks" are not advisable as they contain high amounts of caffeine,as per most of the stuff on the shelves in Thailand..He recommends electrolyte drinks and water mixed with grenandine syrup (aka Hales) which is very refreshing ! :D .

Coconut water is the best natural electrolyte drink and cheap. :)

Who's kidding who? This country averages 35 deaths per day on the roads (UN,WHO, Thia) that's 12,775 deaths per year or road kill. 2 years that's over 25,000 people. :)

And the 42,000 deaths per year or road kill in USA, or the 60,000 plus per year in India, or the 100'000 that are killed in China,.......you get the point.

This is about a heatstroke risk, the government is warning people, yet even this seems to provoke members of ThaiVisa into making insane posts that in no way have anything to do with the main topic.

As long as it knocks Thailand or Thai people, it's fair game on this site.

GotLost, Getreal.

7-11 sell a drink called 'Sponsor'. It's an electrolyte replacement drink & costs about 10 Baht per bottle.

On a hot day, drink 2 of these over an 8 hour period. DO NOT DRINK LOTS OF THIS STUFF!!! It can cause problems if you drink too much of it.

I found out what the above drink contains:

Sponsor Electrolyte Beverage is a non caffiene/non carbonated sports replacement drink. It replaces lost energy due to physical activity. It comes in 3 different flavours:

1. Classic,

2. Lime and,

3. Punch.

Available in 250ml glass bottles (Yellow classic & Orange flavours) or 325ml cans.

Nutritional information.

Energy - 130 kilojoules per 325 ml.

Fat - 0g.

Protein - 0g.

Carbohydrates - 33g total.

Sugar - 28g.

Sodium - 200mg.

Ingredients.

Sucrose - 7%.

Dextrose - 4%.

Chloride - 0.11%.

Sodium - 0.07%.

Potasssium - 0.02%.

Bicarbonate - 0.02%.

Colouring and flavouring.

It is great for hangovers :)

7-11 sell a drink called 'Sponsor'. It's an electrolyte replacement drink & costs about 10 Baht per bottle.

On a hot day, drink 2 of these over an 8 hour period. DO NOT DRINK LOTS OF THIS STUFF!!! It can cause problems if you drink too much of it.

Correct they are not for replacing water loss, so minimise there use. Lots and lots of just plain old water, sipped throughout the day. If you are doing long hard miles on foot or long hot field work then a back pack bladder is the way to go. Scored :) myself a Caribee back pack and bladder in 35 - 40 degree / cross over humidity (correct - everything around us was burnt, burning or we were back burning it) Aussie outback heat in 2003. Awesome way of keeping the body fluid balanced.

And still keep up normal eating activity. Fruit and nuts are good. And protien at night for body healing while you sleep and carbo load at day start.

On the subject of dehydration, I have noticed that Thais sweat on their upper lip and nose, rather than on their forehead and back - like most westerners do.

I was thinking that - seen from a Darwinistic perpective and assuming it's genetical - this could potentially have had an impact as to who would survive - say a long walk in a desert or such, as the sweat on the upper lip can easily be 'licked off' and thus 'recycled' whereas sweat on the back or forehead would be bound to simply evaporate and be lost forever.

And, as westerners don't have so many warm, dry deserts to walk through as Asians might have (had) there would be a higher chance of survival for a 'back-sweater' in the west, wouldn't it ?

Does this make any sense, or am I just lost in space here ??? ( more than normal that is :D )

:)

Edited by JohanV

On the subject of dehydration, I have noticed that Thais sweat on their upper lip and nose, rather than on their forehead and back - like most westerners do.

I was thinking that - seen from a Darwinistic perpective and assuming it's genetical - this could potentially have had an impact as to who would survive - say a long walk in a desert or such, as the sweat on the upper lip can easily be 'licked off' and thus 'recycled' whereas sweat on the back or forehead would be bound to simply evaporate and be lost forever.

And, as westerners don't have so many warm, dry deserts to walk through as Asians might have (had) there would be a higher chance of survival for a 'back-sweater' in the west, wouldn't it ?

Does this make any sense, or am I just lost in space here ??? ( more than normal that is :D )

Actually, seems like is the opposite. Asians sweat and have less B.O. than westerners bc of a gen that also makes them have dry earwax (westerners and Afrikaners have wet earwax) as a collateral effect. This gen could have evolved in North Asian population in response to COLD WEATHER they had in the past...

well, so that said a team of Japanesse scientifics.

SOURCE

Thanks for that homoiberikus :)

Very interesting. Yes, it is of course true that Asia has ( had ) a lot of cold climate areas, so it seems to make sense.

Nevertheless, licking sweat off your upper lip would eventually be helpful in order to recycle electrolytes and some water, wouldn't it ?

Edited by JohanV

Heatstroke is particularly prevalent in weather conditions of high humidity and high temperatures.The high humidity decreases the evaporation of sweat which is the most important body cooling mechanism we have.Paradoxically a frequent symptom of impending heat stroke is shivering,which is caused by a breakdown in our body temperature regulating mechanism.

Should you experience shivering in current climatic conditions,discontinue physical activity immediately and drink plenty of fluids and electrolytes.

Played golf today,and can testify to the horrendous humidity.

Paradoxically a frequent symptom of impending heat stroke is shivering,which is caused by a breakdown in our body temperature regulating mechanism.

As a Swede used to cold climate and the opposite problem - freezing to death - I can add that the same temperature regulating breakdown occurs when someone

freezes to death. Shortly before dying, the person experiences sweating and heat waves, due to blood being redirected (back) to the body surface in a 'last protection' attempt. It is not uncommon that people found frozen - say in a forest or so - have started to take off all their clothes due to this phenomenon.

Thus, several cold-related deaths have erroneously been labeled as sex crimes at first.

But I guess talking here about freezing to death is kinda off-topic, isn't it ?? :)

Edited by JohanV

Actually, seems like is the opposite. Asians sweat and have less B.O. than westerners bc of a gen that also makes them have dry earwax (westerners and Afrikaners have wet earwax) as a collateral effect. This gen could have evolved in North Asian population in response to COLD WEATHER they had in the past...

well, so that said a team of Japanesse scientifics.

SOURCE

So true about Thai's only sweating on their noses and upper lips,

reminds me of my child hood puppy.

The only reason Thai's sweat less than Europeans is that

they are used to the conditions and generally super slim

meaning they excert less energy when doing everyday things

such as walking. Saying that I can easily handle 30*c+

temperatures and can play football go running etc. But just

a 5 minute walk in the sun can make me seriously sweat.............

................................................................................

Gosh guys I need to get out a bit more.

The only reason Thai's sweat less than Europeans is that they are used to the conditions and generally super slim

meaning they excert less energy when doing everyday things such as walking.

I'm not entirely sure about that.

When my Thai/Swedish son was one week old he could not sleep if it was over 23 degrees in the bedroom and he sweated a lot if warmer.

His 100% Thai cousin, born a couple of days earlier slept perfect even if it was 26 degrees, and he never sweated at all.

None of them could have been very 'used to' anything, really, could they ?

In Sweden when you go home from the hospital with your newborn, they recommend room temperatures about 20 - 23 degrees,

here, the doctor told us 'not colder than 26 or he can catch a cold'.. ..we had to abandon that advice quickly.. :)

So, I would say there's definitely some genes into play there..