Speech Recognition Software

Eggmeng

Hi Folks,

I need software that will allow me to transcribe several hours of interviews for a video project, using my PC and ideally MS Word. It seems older versions of MS Word used to do this, but Office 2007 doesn't include the feature anymore, though Vista (which I don't use) does. I run XP Pro SP3.

I've seen some interesting stand alone products on the Internet but they all seem to come from abroad and I need this in a hurry. (I also don't want to pay shipping and duties if I don't have to.)

I have a good sound card and pro mics, so the hardware is in place.

Does anyone know of a suitable product that I can purchase locally?

Thanks.

Eggmeng

Yes, thanks, they sell the product online, but only a physical version that comes boxed with a headset and costs $40 to ship from the USA by DHL.

I've written to them to ask if they have a downloadable option. If I get a positive response I'll post it here.

Yes, thanks, they sell the product online, but only a physical version that comes boxed with a headset and costs $40 to ship from the USA by DHL.

I've written to them to ask if they have a downloadable option. If I get a positive response I'll post it here.

Would persevere with that as have used Dragon (as it initially was, now called Nuance) since 1999 and although I still have the original version it works very well. I couldn't do without it.

Maybe a touch-typing tutor is the better investment :)

Not an option if you suffer from OOS or RSI..............I used to think that this was a "put on" by folk who were trying to get out of keyboard duties until I suffered from it. Excruciating pain, so much so that I couldn't even use a pen, or a spoon with which to eat.

Maybe a touch-typing tutor is the better investment :)

Not an option if you suffer from OOS or RSI..............I used to think that this was a "put on" by folk who were trying to get out of keyboard duties until I suffered from it. Excruciating pain, so much so that I couldn't even use a pen, or a spoon with which to eat.

That sounds terrible - never heard of that specific term before. If your condition is still ongoing, I hope you'll recover soon! Unfortunately reliability of more futuristic and natural human interfaces for computers (a la 'star trek') are still not reliable enough :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repetitive_strain_injury

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occupational_overuse_syndrome

Thanks for the endorsements of the Nuance product. Hopefully they will help me to persuade the client to pick up the tab for this.

Because not only does this US based company not sell a downloadable version of the product due to the large size of the file, they won't ship outside the US. So for shipment to Southeast Asia I will have to make the purchase from their UK distributor, in pounds.

Sorry for the misleading advice then... I bought my copy online quite some time ago, and guess that has changed if the software has gotten too big for practical downloading.

Would persevere with that as have used Dragon (as it initially was, now called Nuance) since 1999 and although I still have the original version it works very well. I couldn't do without it.

But I concur with Phil- it is a great product that works.

Here is my final installment on this story.

The information I was given by the rep at the company's US main phone number was wrong.

I called the UK International distributor to place an order. Not only is there a downloadable version, but they are currently having a promotion. I got it for 55 GBP or US$80, which is $20 less than the usual retail price, albeit without the mic.

I just finished downloading the 1.2 gigabyte file.

Thanks again for the recommendations.

Here is my final installment on this story.

The information I was given by the rep at the company's US main phone number was wrong.

I called the UK International distributor to place an order. Not only is there a downloadable version, but they are currently having a promotion. I got it for 55 GBP or US$80, which is $20 less than the usual retail price, albeit without the mic.

I just finished downloading the 1.2 gigabyte file.

Thanks again for the recommendations.

Good news and well done for persevering..............just a small addition for you to consider. Although the prog says you can begin speaking after a very brief initial training session, IMO it pays to be patient with this aspect because the more you input the better it becomes. Also download as many previous documents as you can and train as many words as you can, esp the local place names/unfamiliar names. Lastly, having a head cold, sore throat or after a night out on the town, means that you voice will sound different to the prog so it may not recognise you as well as before, and this can become annoying!!!!!!

Stay with it and you won't regret it.