Travel Through Hong Kong

laphroaig

Apologies for posting non Thai related question but hopefully you travellers will have the answer.

I am routing through Bkk to London however my 21 year old daughter is flying Cathay through Hong Kong to meet me in London. She has a few hours in Homg Kong transit and I am asking about currency issues. She does not have a credit card although she has a NZ Bank Debit card. It would be nice forher to have the ability to buy a drink or food or something there however I am not too usre of her best way to pay for it.

The cards attract fees for small transactions as far as I know so cash would be prefererable.

I have obviously New Zealand dollars. Do they take NZ dollars for such purchases.

I also have a few US dollars I can give to her, do they take those

If not what advice about exchanging small amount into HKD, fees etc.

any other bright ideas as to how to tackle this. I appreciate that for many of us this is a small issue, but I am always trying to teach my daughters to consider costs in any transaction, however small, hence the query

cheers

T

I haven't been thru the new HK airport but she should be able to change a small amount of any currency inside the airport @ a forex booth, not a cafe.

Hopefully some more experienced flyers will see your post today.

another way is for you to exchange some NZ dollars and US dollars to HK dollars at the Bangkok Suvarnabhumi airport whilst

in transit. If you are in the city (Bangkok), the foreign exchange KIOK are plentiful.

another way is for you to exchange some NZ dollars and US dollars to HK dollars at the Bangkok Suvarnabhumi airport whilst

in transit. If you are in the city (Bangkok), the foreign exchange KIOK are plentiful.

If you read the OP properly, HE is routing through Bangkok whilst his daughter is routing through Hong Kong.So him changing money in BKK is not going to help his daughter in HK

I haven't been through HK in years, even tho my brother lives there... for some reason I always choose to stop over in BKK :):D:D

If you are getting the British Pounds or Euro in NZ, give her some of them, you might find some of the chain food stores will accept Pounds, Euro, or USD, but unlikely they will take NZD...

Failing that, just add the $5-10 Money exchange fee to the cost of the burger...

Cheers,

Daewoo

I haven't been through HK in years, even tho my brother lives there... for some reason I always choose to stop over in BKK :):D:D

If you are getting the British Pounds or Euro in NZ, give her some of them, you might find some of the chain food stores will accept Pounds, Euro, or USD, but unlikely they will take NZD...

Failing that, just add the $5-10 Money exchange fee to the cost of the burger...

Cheers,

Daewoo

I have a few USD left from a trip a few years ago, maybe I'll just give those to her and she can either pay with them or exchange. Leaving sunday, catch you on the other forum

T

There are HSBC branches near the food court in both terminals landside - can't remember airside as I was in a rush to get to the gate she can pay in most foreign currencies but she'll get a rubbish exchange rate and her change will be given in local money.

When in LoS, I pop over to Honkers from BKK regularly.

Being a kiwi, I take and change $NZ notes.

A NZ bank ATM card is handier than a debit card if they do not have the "Plus" symbol.

ASB charges 5 bucks + 1% FX fee. BNZ is $7.50 per transaction.

Use it anywhere in the world where you find ATMs with the "PLUS" symbol.

Most countries have them.

Edited by Zpete

If all she needs the money for is food and drink, just give her the US dollars. She can easily change them to HK dollars in the airport. If she changes US$10, the bad exchange rate might cost her $1.00. Trying to buy things with a foreign currency will cost more. The debit card will have higher fees yet.

If all she needs the money for is food and drink, just give her the US dollars. She can easily change them to HK dollars in the airport. If she changes US$10, the bad exchange rate might cost her $1.00. Trying to buy things with a foreign currency will cost more. The debit card will have higher fees yet.

I travel through Hong Kong airport and have no problem using $US , they will give you small change in HK$ but still easier and less cost than some of the choices , what your daughter needs is ease of transit not added stress . Afew hours in HK passes quite quickly just wandering around window shopping , being fed and watered by the airline she may only need a bottle of water or a coffee , $5.00us will cover that , no problem .