Thai PM Abhisit Puts Plan For November Polls On Hold

webfact

Thai PM puts plan for November polls on hold

by Anusak Konglang

BANGKOK (AFP) -- Thailand's embattled premier put his plan for November elections on hold as opposition protesters held their ground Thursday despite threats by the authorities to cut supplies to their vast encampment.

Hopes of a peaceful resolution to the crippling crisis are fading, with the "Red Shirts" refusing to disperse until Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban is charged for his role in overseeing a deadly April 10 crackdown.

"It's clear that the Red Shirts have only verbally accepted to join the reconciliation roadmap but have not agreed to end the protests. Therefore it's impossible to hold elections as proposed," the prime minister's secretary-general, Korbsak Sabhavasu, told AFP.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva offered to dissolve parliament in the second half of September for elections on November 14 if all parties accepted his reconciliation plan.

The Reds, who have been protesting in Bangkok for two months in a campaign for immediate elections, initially agreed to enter the process but efforts to reach a deal that would see them go home have since broken down.

"The prime minister has said that if today everyone, including the government, can work freely and travel freely without disruption then there can be elections, but the situation is making no progress," said Korbsak.

"As there is no election there is no need for house dissolution."

The Reds say the government is undemocratic because it came to power in a 2008 parliamentary vote after a court ruling ousted elected allies of their hero, former premier Thaksin Shinawatra, who was unseated in a 2006 coup.

Twenty-nine people have been killed and almost 1,000 injured in Bangkok in a series of confrontations and attacks since the protests began in mid-March, in Thailand's worst political violence in almost two decades.

Arrest warrants have been issued for many of the movement's top leaders and observers say that disagreement between the two sides over a possible amnesty is likely to be one of the main sticking points.

The Red Shirts vowed Wednesday to "fight to the death" after authorities threatened to lay siege to their sprawling encampment, saying they would cut off food, water and power supplies to the vast rally site.

"This is the beginning of measures to fully impose the law," said Sunsern Kaewkumnerd, a spokesman for the government unit set up to deal with the crisis, warning the authorities were ready to use force if necessary.

"The army is ready, but at this moment I don't want to talk about a crackdown as we want to use measures to put pressure on them."

The mainly poor and working class Red Shirts shrugged off the threatened new measures, saying they had their own generators and that it would be impossible to cut their power without also affecting hospitals in the area.

"If you want to crack down, you're welcome at any time," one protest leader, Jatupron Prompan, said Wednesday. "We will fight to the death."

Electricity was not cut in the protest site after midnight Thursday. Officials later said they had not ruled out cutting power and water, but would begin action by introducing measures less intrusive to the public.

"Whatever measures they do have to be done carefully so that it doesn't create more problems," said government spokesman Panitan Wattanayagorn. "So we're trying to decrease activity in the area gradually."

The Reds' ranks were boosted over the weekend by 5,000 more supporters who arrived from the movement's heartland in the impoverished rural northeast, defying a ban on rallies in the capital, which is under a state of emergency.

afplogo.jpg

-- ©Copyright AFP 2010-05-13

Published with written approval from AFP.

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The PM never should have agreed to elections while the protests were ongoing. Clearly the situation is too out of hand to hold successful fair elections anyway. Does this mean the army will take action, or will it be two more months of bedlam.

Abhisit, here again shows his inability to keep his words. Cunning, and always look for an excuse is never a leadership quality. What he will become in his political future, another Chuan LEEKPAI?

Abhisit, here again shows his inability to keep his words. Cunning, and always look for an excuse is never a leadership quality. What he will become in his political future, another Chuan LEEKPAI?

If the reds are incapable of keeping any of their promises why should the PM be expected to follow the roadmap on his own while the reds keep making ridiculous demands.

If the reds are incapable of keeping any of their promises why should the PM be expected to follow the roadmap on his own while the reds keep making ridiculous demands.

Good move by Abhisit in calling off elections as the Reds failed to live up to their end of his proposals.

Shows them up and reveals that their focus has never been about reconciliation, but about the Liberian gold mine owner.

i follow the news in thaivisa every day and i have to say its more like a comedy, but yeah people died already so it' s not really funny : "....yes we will do this....for sure today 6 pm...ahh wait...maybe not...ahh mai pen lai..."

the news in thaivisa seems very "yellow press" and it is important to look for other sources of information too

We start from point zero again and again and again... pathetic...

Everybody lies. The Government lies, the Red shirt leaders lie and drag the situation out until eternity. I betcha it will take until next year.

The schools and universities will start soon. To be sarcastic: Let's see if students , teachers or represntatives of the Education sector would have the guts to form an own group against the red shirts as they are fighting for THEIR rights of education, haha... If this would ever happen, then the role of the government is being reduced to spectators only.

back to a square one, but it is not the deadend yet !!

although I see the point why PM Abhisit postpones the Nov election, it may be even better to commit the original plan and pressure the reds further. indeed this is what a decisive leadership should be !

now both sides are dragging around on unclear border. who is in between - Thai people :-(

Edited by ETatBKK

Because he is the PM and not a protester! More, the offers he made number 2 to 5 should have been kicked off over a year ago, while the first does not need encouragement from the man.

the news in thaivisa seems very "yellow press" and it is important to look for other sources of information too

I think its incumbent upon the membership of thaivisa to add those other sources of information (within the confines of the forum rules on news posting, which are actually quite liberal) rather than unrealistically expect the mods to do so. This additional source, for example, discusses the other areas beyond the election cancellation.

The forum is only as good as its members:

Govt calls off the new election date

BANGKOK, 12 May 2010 (NNT) – The Government has canceled the new election date on 14 November 2010, as stated on the five-point National Reconciliation Roadmap proposed by Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva.

Secretary General to the Prime Minister Korbsak Sabhavasu disclosed on Wednesday that the government has cancelled the date for the new general elections, but will continue to progress with the National Reconciliation Roadmap and assist businesses affected by the prolonged rally of the Anti-Government United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD).

Mr Korbsak stated no further talks would be held between the Government and the UDD core figures as the UDD had earlier voiced its agreement to the proposal but failed to terminate the rally as promised since some core figures had agreed to retreat but some refused. The Prime Minister firmly stressed that the new election date was no longer active as the UDD had refused to disperse the rally.

The Prime Minister’s Secretary General further elaborated that the government had set a few conditions during the previous talks with the UDD, including the time frame to resume broadcasts of the pro-Thaksin People Channel (PTV). A working team will be adopted to monitor its contents and censor system will be applied for the first couples of weeks. The government asked for UDD's clarification on how the protesters would be assisted while returning home and how the core figures would turn themselves to authorities.

Following the government's measures setting up for the affected employees in Ratchaprasong, Mr Korbsak cited the government had stepped up with the plans to assist business operators and their 800 employees. Most of the workers were claimed unregistered and would make the verifying process more complicated. The complete data, however, will be carried out within next week.

In addition, Mr Korbsak stated business operators have been greatly affected in time of the business suspension as their 27,000 employees still earn income. The operators have sought financial support from the government, with 427 million THB asked to cover employment payment per month otherwise they will have to lay off their employees.

Meanwhile, business owners have requested for an exemption of rental spaces. A total of 300 million THB is needed per month during the business suspension. Currently, the mathematical solution is being calculated as the lease payment is excluded from the business cost, while rental was charged differently in each area. The government support would certainly unable to cover the whole rental cost.

Mr Korbsak believed no violence would occur around Ratchaprasong area. He promised that the business assistance will be considered case by case, though the support would not cover tax payment and the Board of Investment (BOI)’s tax privilege. The government, however, will help to reclaim buyers’ confidence back to the Ratchaprasong area.

http://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news.php?id=255305120043

We start from point zero again and again and again... pathetic...

Everybody lies. The Government lies, the Red shirt leaders lie and drag the situation out until eternity. I betcha it will take until next year.

The schools and universities will start soon. To be sarcastic: Let's see if students , teachers or represntatives of the Education sector would have the guts to form an own group against the red shirts as they are fighting for THEIR rights of education, haha... If this would ever happen, then the role of the government is being reduced to spectators only.

ALREADY HAPPENING . . . the PINK shirt from the nearby Chulalongkorn University and other universities. they held peaceful protests at the Lumipini Park, exactly where the reds are now.

What did the government lie about?

The November election was a proposal, not an iron-clad, no-matter-what-happened-it-would-occur certainty.

It was contingent upon cooperation and equally applied agreement.

The Reds initially extended their agreement to it, but then backed out, and so they no longer accept it.

As the proposal was not accepted, it was rescinded. That principle is expected and normal.

true, quite yellow !

I 'did' parrallel channels of information for a short while. eeeeeek . . . it really challenges the bottom line of my already very low intelligent !

I wonder how morally they could bring their 'reds' messages to others !

Good.

Now let him serve out the full term and get through as many of his policies as possible before he wins the next election and can carry on the good work.

But we do need the reds outa there.

"Before he wins the next election"...!!??!!

You're having a laugh!

"The Prime Minister firmly stressed that the new election date was no longer active as the UDD had refused to disperse the rally"

"firmly"? :):D

"Yeah right, and I believe in the Easter Bunny. Abhisit's credibility in standing behind his words is zero. Impossible to be an effective leader with hollow promises. I hate to say this but he really should go.

Edited by Lopburi99

This forum is run by The Nation newspaper, so why are you surprised that it is so yellow?

Be careful what you say - a ban will be issued for anything 'anti' - about the elites and government.

They never did anything wrong but the Reds do nothing but wrong according to this forum.

Hence thaivisa is "yellow press" - mostly one-sided.

This forum is run by The Nation newspaper, so why are you surprised that it is so yellow?

Be careful what you say - a ban will be issued for anything 'anti' - about the elites and government.

They never did anything wrong but the Reds do nothing but wrong according to this forum.

I'm not a yellow shirt supporter or a supporter of any party, I'm just an Asian, born and raised in Castrop-Rauxel, Germany who is just voicing his clear opinion :)

What words of Abhisit did he fail to follow?

The forum is run by the Nation. The Nation is biased towards the yellow.

The posters are not run by the Nation. Most of the posters DO NOT say that the yellows did nothing wrong.

But, I would like to know your opinion of what the reds have done right?

Although I will almost surely regret responding to a post from somebody who ignores facts ... what promise did Abhisit break regarding holding elections?

I seem to recall when he announced the road map that he was clear Nov. 14th was dependent on certain requirements ... such as the illegal violent mob stop hurting Thailand and holding an area of BKK hostage.

the news in thaivisa seems very "yellow press"

Examples, please! I don't believe I've seen anything like this . . . anyone else seen a general trend to emotional, inflammatory, distorted reporting on this site? The comments of a lot of the members, sure, but the actual news?

i follow the news in thaivisa every day and i have to say its more like a comedy, but yeah people died already so it' s not really funny : "....yes we will do this....for sure today 6 pm...ahh wait...maybe not...ahh mai pen lai..."

Such as Red TV?

I think its incumbent upon the membership of thaivisa to add those other sources of information (within the confines of the forum rules on news posting, which are actually quite liberal) rather than unrealistically expect the mods to do so. This additional source, for example,

As said, one can contribute in a helpful and meaningful way by adding their own sources of information

OR... they can piss and moan without contributing in a helpful and meaningful way by adding their own sources of information:

I say piss and moan only because the solution to their gripe is right at their fingertips, but they chose not to do so, but instead complain about it.

Edited by indemnity

Yes "Before he wins the next election"[/b]

The reds and the PTP have done nothing to demonstrate that they could run the country (without Thaksin) they have put forward no policys to move on and the reds keep making silly demands that they know will not be accepted in an effort to prolong the damage they are doing to the city and country.

The Govt on the other hand has put forward proposals which have been rejected on flimsy pretext and is still (in spite of all the red disruption) getting legislation passed which will move the country ahead.

The PPP only got the 40% of the vote last time with bribery and intimmidation and in a free and fair election would now never come near that as their antics have now turned many people against them.

And again we see the bleat of yellow.. yellow

Edited by Robby nz