Ubc Enough Is Enough

hellyes2oo2

I called UBC today to ask about world cup coverage.I was told it would only be shown on 1 channel, and that would only be if you had HD. I informed UBC that I and many other thousands of people were not HD compatible.I pay over 24,000 baht per year as a platinum subscriber, but I was told if you want to see the matches you have to pay 4,000 baht for new equipment.I aked the telephone operator if UBC had any regards for their customers, he said if you don't want to pay the 4,000 baht, then no problem watch it on thai tv, but there is no english commentary.I informed him that UBC lost a lot of customers when they removed BBC Prime and replaced it with AXN Beyond, and that they will lose many more now, he replied "Not a problem, if you want to cancel please do so, not a problem for me"Well this is great customer relations strategy. Carry on UBC soon you will be out of business, and I for one will be overjoyed.

I am not trying to defend UBC as i have had my share of problems with the too. FYI, I had the HD service installed last week, here in Phuket. The cost was an additional 2000 baht deposit for the HD Box. I originally paid a 2000 deposit for the standard UBC box so the total deposit is now 4000 baht. The monthly fee for HD service is 190 baht for platinum customers and 290 baht for gold customers.

sorry i think you are wrong! they will somehow manage to thrive no matter what the service and they think that you are just one more like many others out there.

amazing, would go bust in the west but TiT

If you just wish to upgrade your existing box then you don't need to pay a deposit. Then you just pay an extra 190 Baht a month. If you book it now you get all of May and June free of charge. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

The only downside is that you need a TV that is capable of displaying 1080i or 720p or 560i, but in reality I think most TV's produced over the past 5 years can do this with no problem at all. It does not have to be a FULL HD 1080p compatible TV to view the channel.

UBC / True Visions has never before covered World Cups. TV rights go to terrestrial channels every competition, as should be the case.

Yes UBC / True Visions is a terrible company, but it's the only real option people have and the fact that they aren't screening an event (with the exception of HD) that they have never screened before, is hardly a reason to stop using their service.

BTW - as i understand it, even the HD channel will not have English soundtrack

BTW2 - as i understand it, even if your TV is not HD compatible, you can still receive the channel if you wish to pay the extra - just obviously means the pciture quality will be no better

Had mine installed today and the two channels look simply amazing, not as good as bluray but dam_n close, I didnt pay any extra cash and I get the two channels fee for 3 months, so bring on the world cup in HD, for OP the box has various outputs component etc, so even if your TV is 20 odd years old you can still view albeit that the picture will not be as good. It is my understanding that the world cup will have both Thai and English soundtrack, time will tell.

UBC / True Visions has never before covered World Cups. TV rights go to terrestrial channels every competition, as should be the case.

Yes UBC / True Visions is a terrible company, but it's the only real option people have and the fact that they aren't screening an event (with the exception of HD) that they have never screened before, is hardly a reason to stop using their service.

BTW - as i understand it, even the HD channel will not have English soundtrack

BTW2 - as i understand it, even if your TV is not HD compatible, you can still receive the channel if you wish to pay the extra - just obviously means the pciture quality will be no better

You need to check back. UBC is advertising English sound on HD BUT if you go back to the 2008 WC UBC advertised the same and the Thai government cut them off. So with all the BS HYPE going about you pay your money to play but you'll have to wait to kick off to see or hear. :)

You need to check back. UBC is advertising English sound on HD BUT if you go back to the 2008 WC UBC advertised the same and the Thai government cut them off. So with all the BS HYPE going about you pay your money to play but you'll have to wait to kick off to see or hear. :D

There was a World Cup in 2008?! :)

This post from a related thread:

The True Visions office assured me all the World Cup games on HD channel 111 will be in English and Thai.

If you have the gold package now, you must pay an additional B2,000 deposit and an additional B290 a month to get the HD box (your TV must be HD compatible), and you must sign up for at least 6 months.

For that you get 2 extra channels - 111 is sport and 112 is movies.

Typical Thailand.!!!!

I have just spoken to True this morning.......... This is what they told me

Their TV coverage is in HD,

HOWEVER IT WILL ONLY BE THAI COMMENTARY.... NOT ENGLISH!!!

As they are using the same platform as Thai tv.

There is no English commentary in Thailand!!!

I asked the guy to double check, as I had seen the comments on here. He said he could guarantee NO English commentary, but he would double check and get back to me next week!

This is serious sh!t!!!

There is no way I can put up with Somchai and his motley crew and their inane blabberings for a month.

What other satellite services are available??

This post from a related thread:
The True Visions office assured me all the World Cup games on HD channel 111 will be in English and Thai.

If you have the gold package now, you must pay an additional B2,000 deposit and an additional B290 a month to get the HD box (your TV must be HD compatible), and you must sign up for at least 6 months.

For that you get 2 extra channels - 111 is sport and 112 is movies.

Typical Thailand.!!!!

I have just spoken to True this morning.......... This is what they told me

Their TV coverage is in HD,

HOWEVER IT WILL ONLY BE THAI COMMENTARY.... NOT ENGLISH!!!

As they are using the same platform as Thai tv.

There is no English commentary in Thailand!!!

I asked the guy to double check, as I had seen the comments on here. He said he could guarantee NO English commentary, but he would double check and get back to me next week!

This is serious sh!t!!!

There is no way I can put up with Somchai and his motley crew and their inane blabberings for a month.

What other satellite services are available??

Why not turn the sound off? You don't get a commentary if you watch a match in a stadium, so why do you need one on TV? Force of habit, I suggest. Even the best English commentators babble uselessly half the time, so what's the point? It's the game which you see that matters, not the bloody commentary in your ears.

Above all, in South Africa every game is going to be accompanied by the vavuza horn-blowing which is the stupidest, nastiest, most ugly, most monotonous sound ever invented by man. You'll be very glad to hear nothing instead of that idiotic cacophony!

Why not turn the sound off? You don't get a commentary if you watch a match in a stadium, so why do you need one on TV? Force of habit, I suggest. Even the best English commentators babble uselessly half the time, so what's the point? It's the game which you see that matters, not the bloody commentary in your ears.

Above all, in South Africa every game is going to be accompanied by the vavuza horn-blowing which is the stupidest, nastiest, most ugly, most monotonous sound ever invented by man. You'll be very glad to hear nothing instead of that idiotic cacophony!

For me i'm not too bothered about English commentary, but what i hate is the way the stadium noise is dubbed out almost entirely with the Thai commentary. For me not having this stadium sound takes away from the atmosphere and excitement.

Anyway, i think the point here is not about whether you like English commentary or not, it's that some people do want it and should be able to get reliable information from the TV channels as to whether they will be broadcasting with it or not.

Turn off the sound of your TV and listen to some radio.

I am not into football, but I heard many friends saying that commentary on the radio are of much better quality, as they have to give much more accurate/usefull information to supplement for the image.

For me i'm not too bothered about English commentary, but what i hate is the way the stadium noise is dubbed out almost entirely with the Thai commentary. For me not having this stadium sound takes away from the atmosphere and excitement.

^ My feelings exactly.

Besides, I don't see any point in getting UBC. You can always watch (high quality) live streams over the internet.

I am not into football, but I heard many friends saying that commentary on the radio are of much better quality, as they have to give much more accurate/usefull information to supplement for the image.

Firstly unless the visual and the audio are completely in sync it's useless. Any radio broadcast you manage to pick up is unlikely to be in sync with your TV. Additionally, my experience is it is very hard to get radio sports commentary anyway.

Secondly, radio commentary is great but designed for people who aren't watching the action - therefore they describe for you what they can see. If you are watching it yourself you don't need someone describing what is before your eyes. TV commentary is more about giving extra information beyond the obvious of what is happening.

If you don't like the Thai commentary, wouldn't it be possible to stream an English broadcast off the internet?

I try that for F1, but my internet connection is not good enough........... :)

In the south of thailand, you can get astro satelite, from malaysia. About 35000 baht for equipment and 1 years subscription. If you only want the sports package, then it is only 25000 baht. Pre match and commentary and halftime all in english.

UBC are not the only game in town, not my town anyway!

I've just started setting up a streaming rig downstairs so the family can watch England win. seems thpe best way to go this with the crappy internet we have this side of the world (for me at least) is to get the audio from radio5 or some other UK radio provider who's covering the games, and then stream chinese coverage with the UK audio synced over the top. I *may* even stream it for anyone on True who wants to have a watch......have to see....

You need to check back. UBC is advertising English sound on HD BUT if you go back to the 2008 WC UBC advertised the same and the Thai government cut them off. So with all the BS HYPE going about you pay your money to play but you'll have to wait to kick off to see or hear. :D

Yes, the Rugby World Cup.

And an outstanding cup it was. :D

Well if you are going to include obscure sporting events that few people know about, let alone watch, i'm sure there is a World Cup of some sort every year. :D

The trouble with that is there always seems to be a delay. I've tried listening to BBC London on the net and watching a Chelsea match and the commentary seems to be about 5-6 seconds behind. Best way I think is to just stomach the Thai commentary... I hate the commercials every time there's a goal kick, now that IS annoying :)