Renting A Motobike In Bangkok

Hutchenson

Hi there

I plan to be spending atleast a month in Thailand this summer, (departing 28 June) and wanted to get some info about renting a motobike in Bangkok. I don't have a driving licence, although my sister does. Is it too risky to let my sister rent the motobike and for me to use it? Or are they pretty slack, and simple don't care if i have a licenece or not.

And what about prices?

Any info would be much appreciated, and if i've posted this in the wrong sectiion i'm sorry.

Cheers

Motocy in BKK, no licence (assumes no experience of traffic etc).

You will die, QED.

Honestly, public transport is so cheap and easy (once you learn how to tell a Tuktuk driver to XXXX XXX), you don't need a vehicle.

Edited by Crossy

You will die, QED.

Honestly, public transport is so cheap and easy (once you learn how to tell a Tuktuk driver to XXXX XXX), you don't need a vehicle.

Haha yeah your right i would die if i didn't have any experience, but i do, honest :D

Nah i have a Vespa, which is a moped. And i'm pretty used to crazy drivers (i live in london)

I heard that insurance isn't always available though. But i certainly wouln't want to get banged up in the "Bangkok Hotel" :o

You will die, QED.

Haha yeah your right i would die if i didn't have any experience, but i do, honest :D

Nah i have a Vespa, which is a moped. And i'm pretty used to crazy drivers (i live in london)

I heard that insurance isn't always available though. But i certainly wouln't want to get banged up in the "Bangkok Hotel" :o

Driving in London with no licence??? It gets worse.

London traffic is NOTHING compared to BKK, honest :D

I drive into BKK every day, by car, no way would you get me on a bike here (and I have 30 years on big bikes in the UK), I see too many splattered moto riders, most of whom thought they had experience of crazy drivers :D

Edited by Crossy

No licence, no insurance, no accident cover = no brains, stay in the UK if you want to have another birthday as a free man :o

:D :D :D

Boy, you sure are stupid if you think of comparing London & BKK traffic.

You dont need a license to drive a moped in London, just a CBT cert...

I learn something new every day, I've had a full bike licence for 30 odd years so never bothered to keep up with the law on mopeds.

How long can you use a CBT for before you need to do a test??

I learn something new every day, I've had a full bike licence for 30 odd years so never bothered to keep up with the law on mopeds.

I'm not quite as clued up as you might think, but I do know (unlees it has changed again :o) that mopeds can be riden on a provisional for life as long as a CBT has been passed and paid for.

If you want to step up to anything other than a 50cc (like a Honda 78cc step through lol) then a full bike license has to be obtained.

I'm not quite as clued up as you might think, but I do know (unlees it has changed again :o) that mopeds can be riden on a provisional for life as long as a CBT has been passed and paid for.

If you want to step up to anything other than a 50cc (like a Honda 78cc step through lol) then a full bike license has to be obtained.

Understood, it's sort of a full licence for mopeds.

He will still die on a bike here!!

Edited by Crossy

No licence, no insurance, no accident cover = no brains, stay in the UK if you want to have another birthday as a free man  :o
:D :D :D

Boy, you sure are stupid if you think of comparing London & BKK traffic.

No need to be nasty is there. Of course i wasn't comparring the drivers of london to the drivers of bangkok....

Would the CBT be enough over in Thailand?

Edit: I'm well aware that riding a motobike is pretty dangerous (and i'm sure the danger only increases in a city like Bangkok), but i wasn't asking how safe it was now was I?

Edited by Hutchenson

OK, we can't convince you not to :D

So here's the deal.

To be legal you need a national licence AND an International Driving Permit (IDP).

The hire company won't care, they MAY want to see your passport but DO NOT leave it as a 'deposit'. Make sure you check the bike before riding off, many rental places see brakes as an optional extra :o

You will probably get away with your CBT if stopped by a cop (although I have a Thai licence I hand over my [expired] Belgian ID card, it's never failed), the application of 200 Baht will lubricate the wheels so to speak. FLAMERS PLEASE NOTE - I do not condone anyone driving illegally anywhere, just telling him like it is.

Insurance here is different to the UK, you will probably get the compulsory insurance when you rent a bike, it covers almost nothing, and expects the other vehicle to actually STOP after an accident which rarely happens. Make sure you have good medical insurance and that it covers you for riding motorcycles (many policies do not).

I still don't think you'll need a bike in BKK. If you go to Pataya, Samui, Phuket or the like a bike is a good way to get out of town on a budget. Less (but equally mad) traffic so you are more likely to survive.

Truthfully, we all want you to enjoy Thailand, we don't want to see you as another statistic.

Have a good time and be safe :D:D

Oh, and please, always always always always always, wear protection (helmet, condom or whatever) :D:D

Edited by Crossy

Sometimes rudeness is necessary to get your attention.

You seem determined to do what you want so why ask for advice if you won't take it.

What you want to do is just plain stupid. :o

Maybe you missed it.

But here it is again...

Edit: I'm well aware that riding a motobike is pretty dangerous (and i'm sure the danger only increases in a city like Bangkok), but i wasn't asking how safe it was now was I?

Which means, I'M NOT ASKING ADVICE ON WHETHER OR NOT IT'S TOO DANGEROUS TOO RIDE A MOTOBIKE IN BANGKOK.

Now have i got YOUR attention?

Man you really do make newcomers feel welcome, it seems every forum needs atleast a few people like you.

I mean heck, who knows, when i get to Thailand i might be like "yeah what the ###### was i thinking, i don't want to die' But at the momment, i'm simple making some preliminary reserch into the matter. There's a big difference about thinking about doing something, and actually hoping on a motobike and whizzing around the streets of Bangkok.

No need to jump down my throat is there?

Edit: Thanks for the advice and help Crossy :D

Edited by Hutchenson

Hutch.

Forgive Udon (he's Aussie so has an excuse :o), we really do want you to have the best time here, if it needs a little 'urging' then so be it.

This is an incredibly informitive and (mostly) laid back forum, populated by the biggest crowd of misfits and madmen (myself included of course) you will ever have the pleasure to meet.

It takes a special kind of person to live and work in Thailand, all TV members are special in their own way :D

BTW - The "yeah what the ###### was i thinking, i don't want to die" feeling will probably occur 15 seconds after you enter a taxi at the airport when the man is attempting to exit onto the expressway :D

Edited by Crossy