Clashes Continue, Turning Central Bangkok In Virtual Warzone

webfact

Abhisit is such an idiot.

He knew exactly what would result if he used force. Congratulations Abhisit, now you have it :)

He should have stuck to negotiations.

Abhisit is a disgusting excuse for a human being.

And what of Thaksin and his 3000 extra-judicial killings, not to mention central role in causing the current violence?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but this is a democratically elected government, isn't it??

Yes and no..

Yes after much gamesmanship, disbarring of PPP officials, and outright treachery by Newins red faction being bribed to turn.. There was a Democrat coalition formed.. But..

No.. From the actual voting Abhisit and the Dems have lost repeatedly.. That includes previous house votes as well as from the electorate.

So its there on a technicality.. But lacking a moral authority.. Hence the demand to have proper general elections again (and perhaps the EC case against the dems be pursued with the same zeal that it was against the PPP).

Can you explain how Abhisit's election to PM is different to Samak's, Somchai's or Thaksin's?

All electorates have elected MPs. Any MPs that were banned for electoral fraud had by-elections to replace them. A few MPs decided not to continue supporting an incompetent government, and decided to support the Democrats instead.

I have already stated that e Violence is gearing to Violence. With a large part of the population supporting the Red Shirts and geographically designated, in the coming hours we have a high probability of Civil war starting, the Country divided in two parts, the Institutions already fragile bursting.

If not, it will end in a massacre. Who will win? I am not a fortune teller.

As human being, it is wiser to stop everything by announcing elections immediately and give back power to People. Today the risk to fraction the Country are huge: it is the responsability of a state man to understand this and avoid the worst.

Peace not war or massacre

You should choose red to write your posts - do you really think this mob and especially their leaders show any qualifications to lead this country ???? you are probably hoping for Thaksin's return and lots of rewards for anyone who supported him - basically you are a traitor to Thailand

Please, does this help to bring back peace? He has an opinion, I do agree it's not a good solution, but you shouldn't jump to him with the a "Traitor!" cry. Violence begets violence and extremism begets extremism, once extremism becomes the norm there's no chance of a peaceful resolution, it's either one side destroy the other or they both bleed each other to death. As responsible people (I know... :) ) we should set an example of supporting different opinions without demonizing the other party.

Its COLD BLOODED MURDER pure and simple

The rules of using live fire which was so eloquently told to the CNN and BBC yesterday in English by the Abhisit goverment was no army will fire on the public unless

1.) They are in fear of there lives

2.) They see an armed red shirt

3.) they will fire in the air

The right after that nice interview BBC and CNN shows the army hiding behind walls firing indiscriminantly into the red shirts then they show the french guy who was shot fell to the ground and then shot while on the ground 2 more times, he was not armed was not thai but was obviously targeted by the military in addition 2 more journalists have been shot

I see it as nothing but cold blooded Murder killing unarmed people and if someone says he was holding a bamboo stick give me a break unless the guy was making a move with that stick toward a solgier the guy has no permission to shoot him from behind a wall.

just for your reference, check out this clip, that is another peaceful incident of civilians attracking military truck. perhaps you say it is an 'isolate'd incident' !

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but this is a democratically elected government, isn't it??

Yes and no..

Yes after much gamesmanship, disbarring of PPP officials, and outright treachery by Newins red faction being bribed to turn.. There was a Democrat coalition formed.. But..

No.. From the actual voting Abhisit and the Dems have lost repeatedly.. That includes previous house votes as well as from the electorate.

So its there on a technicality.. But lacking a moral authority.. Hence the demand to have proper general elections again (and perhaps the EC case against the dems be pursued with the same zeal that it was against the PPP).

Can you explain how Abhisit's election to PM is different to Samak's, Somchai's or Thaksin's?

All electorates have elected MPs. Any MPs that were banned for electoral fraud had by-elections to replace them. A few MPs decided not to continue supporting an incompetent government, and decided to support the Democrats instead.

They were paid to switch over

He knew exactly what would result if he used force. Congratulations Abhisit, now you have it :)

And what of Thaksin and his 3000 extra-judicial killings, not to mention central role in causing the current violence?

well may be a try

The reds do not WANT TO NEGOTIATE - what they call negotiate is "the government step down immediately" HOW CAN YOU NEGOTIATE WITH THEM ??????????? BANG YOUR HEAD AT A WALL, MAY BE IT WILL CLEAR A BIT

Some of the coverage shows protesters being detained in handcuffs (plastic?).

About time. That's a key part of crowd dispersal. Every rowdy who is caught should be taken far away, locked up and booked. Don't leave it to police to detain them, as they've shown repeatedly, that they'll let them out. Who can the the turnkey? don't know, maybe there are some farang who need a break from being at their keyboards for 10 hours at a stretch.

Thanks Harold, Pretty much what I've surmised, though you've got some added inside info. I'm the one who was aghast at seeing the large poster of Thaksin, in my northern Thai town, - a formal portrait of him dressed in royal robes. The poster was put up while he was still PM.

Sorry, but I find that hard to believe. If it was true, I'm sure it would be used by the Democrats against Thaksin on every TV channel and newspaper.

Unlike Thaksin and all his people, I don't lie. I dearly wish I'd had a camera on hand at the time. The poster had to be 6 meters tall by 4 or 5 meters wide, and stood there for at least a week. There must be someone up in C.Rai who took a photo of it. I assumed the same poster was put up at other locations, but maybe it was unique to that one spot - a suburb called Ban Nam Lat, at the corner with Rim Kok road.

CMF has a copy over his bed, but I doubt that he would admit it. :)

Marital aide?

It's a bit hard to negotiate when the other side refuses any negotiations.

The same can be said of you for your lack of comprehension

He tried negotiations ... reds refused

They had a road map to start reconciliation - red refused

Well he didnt try hard enough did he ?

He took the decision of a frustrated impotent and irresponsible leader instead of the correct decision which would have been harder negotiations.

Maybe if he was willing to drop his double standards regarding Suthep and justice, perhaps we wouldnt be in this mess.

Its unbelievable that some people on this forum seem to think Abhisits decision (and its consequences - yes, decisions have consequences...) are somehow acceptable. Disgusting is probably the more accurate word.

Edited by RussellHantz

I live inside the 'barricades' (Langsuan) and am pretty keen on leaving Bangkok til things settle down since i am prisoner in my own home at the moment

Any advice on the best way to make an escape form Langsuan would be appreciated.

Whats the best point of exit? Mode of transport. What roads are closed etc

Thanks

Walk. Wear bright clothing.

Head towards Ploenchit and Suhkumvit. It's close, and there hasn't been reports of problems down that end.

If it looks dangerous, head the other direction through Ratchaprasong to Siam square and MBK.

The clashes seem to be on either side - Rama IV and Petchaburi.

Choose your time. If you hear or see something serious you can turn back and try later. Don't force anything.

Here is one problem, do not be seen carrying anything, I suspect you would want to take something for the trip, take money, it can be replaced.

Or stay at home, have 72 hours of food and water. American embassy said armed conflict almost never continues longer than that in anyone area. Stay away from all windows.

Embassy also recommends just go for a short holiday, there is no need to leave Thailand, this is not a civil war, Thais are not going to turn the country into an armed hel_l like western countries do, the problem is in Bangkok.

Good luck. You will be OK, I guarantee that, 98%.

The rules of using live fire which was so eloquently told to the CNN and BBC yesterday in English by the Abhisit goverment was no army will fire on the public unless

The right after that nice interview BBC and CNN shows the army hiding behind walls firing indiscriminantly into the red shirts then they show the french guy who was shot fell to the ground and then shot while on the ground 2 more times, he was not armed was not thai but was obviously targeted by the military in addition 2 more journalists have been shot

I see it as nothing but cold blooded Murder killing unarmed people and if someone says he was holding a bamboo stick give me a break unless the guy was making a move with that stick toward a solgier the guy has no permission to shoot him from behind a wall.

just for your reference, check out this clip, that is another peaceful incident of civilians attracking military truck. perhaps you say it is an 'isolate'd incident' !

In that case they have every right to use deadly force to protect themselves

Yes and no..

Were they? Were they also paid to support the PPP in the first place?

Thaksin was very good at paying other parties to support him. That is the only way that the TRT got a majority in 2005.

Yes and no..

Just as they were paid to join PPP,

against the wishes of those who elected them

on a 'No PPP coalition' platform.

Seems this is always left out of the pro red rants.

Is it worth answering this BS ... naa not really, have another beer

Seems to me the reds kept shifting the goal posts after initially agreeing to the road map. If they wanted to negotiate on the finer points, well & good & at that time everyone could have taken a step back. However, reds kept issuing demands which were nothing to do with the original plan & so it seems they changed their mind & really just wanted to go to battle. We have all seen the reports of disagreement within the reds & the hardliners won out, resulting in the current tragedy.

If you don't think a war cannot be won or lost due to the media ... take a look at Vietnam vs. USA and how Nixon treated the press.

There is a reason the US embedded reporters with troops in Iraq. The number of civilians killed in Iraq are mind blowing but you never heard the numbers from the mainstream media. This is one thing the US got right in that war and that was making reporters feel as the soldiers do as well as feeling attached to those units.

Thanks for your thoughts jcbangkok. But is it really the same? American reporters embedded with American troops is not the same as foreigner reporters like Mr Rand, who probably don't speak Thai, walking around at will in the middle of a battle zone without either protective clothing or soldiers to protect them.

Watching the Thai TV I notice the mainstream Thai journalists are fully protected in both the senses I just mentioned.

I also don't believe any news footage in Iraq was shown until well AFTER a battle had taken place, which is my point really. Agreeing with JohnBK from before, his point was that the professionals need to take charge on the ground, not be constantly worried about what the international media will make of it. Soldiers have to be worried about people shooting guns; they do not need the distraction of worryiny about people shooting cameras.

As an aside, I wonder how long it will be before all the molotov cocktail throwers start donning green armbands?

Re: showing footage after the battle ... I think with the Emergency Decree (or is it Thai technology) that they are not really showing anything live here either. I have wondered about this before. Any clue why we don't see live reports as we would in the west?

I still believe if the military rolled out the welcome mat for these folks and made their job easier and safer that they would get better reporting on their side. As you mentioned about not being native speakers ... they should have translators available all the time for the non-Thai press as well as scheduled news conferences throughout the day. If the authorities and gov't could show they have their act together for reporters it would really go a long way to getting their message out through these same reporters.

And yes, this is manipulative but it is done all the time as standard operating procedure.

He knew exactly what would result if he used force. Congratulations Abhisit, now you have it :D

Oh God this guy crawled out from under his rock again. Who is a disgusting human being? :)

Go back to your jungle.

52 pages in and what have we learned? There is no absolute. There are reds who want to fight, there are reds who do not. There are soldiers who want to attack, there are those who do not. There are those who support one side, there are those who support the other. There is no one red mindset, there is no one yellow mindset, there is no one military mindset, political mindset etc etc. Look at what a disparate group we are and how we differ from eachother, yet culturally we're not all that different. We are individuals though with individual wants, belief systems, thoughts etc. Why should it be any more different for the soldiers out there or the reds. At the end of it all it's not worth any of this. Dead people on the streets will not serve the people of thailand well one way or another.

The same can be said of you for your lack of comprehension

He tried negotiations ... reds refused

They had a road map to start reconciliation - red refused

Well he didnt try hard enough did he ?

He took the decision of a frustrated impotent and irresponsible leader instead of the correct decision which would have been harder negotiations.

Maybe if he was willing to drop his double standards regarding Suthep and justice, perhaps we wouldnt be in this mess.

Its unbelievable that some people on this forum seem to think Abhisits decision (and its consequences - yes, decisions have consequences...) are somehow acceptable. Disgusting is probably the more accurate word.

How do you try "harder negotiations" with a group that doesn't want to negotiate?

Red-shirt leader Kwanchai Praipana has been quoted as saying, "We will surrender in our next life."

This is the guy who jumped in a cab the moment there was a confrontation and hid in a McDonalds. He's my favorite of the leaders.

Weng is probably the smartest of the bunch, but as Jon Stewart would put it "that's like being the skinniest kid in fat camp."

Yes and no..

What Tackys one where he had an absolute majority ?? Or the fact that in the latest round Newins faction was Red but by bribing them with pork barrel positions he jumped ship.. Or the pulling of successful PPP winners... Or or or..

Mostly it has to do with how they disbanded and punished the PPP while they have ignored the sins of the dems.. Your 'decided not to continue to support an incompetent government' is really 'jumped ship to scramble and protect their own power bases' after the yellows held the country to ransom and forced the judiciary into politics..

So those differences among many others.

Note I am not pro Red in political sense, I would have voted for Abhisit if I had a vote.. But I cannot also deny that the PPP / Red sides have been dealt a shitty wicket over and over.

:) I wonder what way Condo Security guards will swing if it gets to civil war....lots of farangs living in expensive condos rely on these guys to protect them, will they?

If you live in a condo and you have to ask this question, I really think you should leave town now.

Other than its inherent barbarity - to me what's really scary about this video is that in this world of instantly transferable multi-media - how much anger and hate it will generate? How many soldiers will have seen it and be looking for payback? And so it goes on tit for tat until the whole thing spirals totally out of control. If it hasn't already.

TAN Network: Red-shirt leader Kwanchai Praipana has been quoted as saying, "We will surrender in our next life."

Excellent. I trust that will be a reality soon. The sooner Kwanchai and his terrorist band surrender the better.

I have been around a couple riots and those such as the Rodney King Riots in LA were nothing to do with the police, justice or Rodney King. Sure they may have started that way but there is always a certain element of society that just wants to cause chaos, hurt authority or prosper from these types of things.

I really suspect a large number of the red mob are simply there to cause havoc and have seized this opportunity to act out.

Agree 100%

Apparently nearly 1% of the population are psychopaths, some clinical, some borderline. Society normally keeps these people in check by providing laws resulting in repercussions for transgressors. When there is an opportunity to burn societies rule book psychopaths and misfits are attracted like flies around shit. A 'cause' is very effective at harnessing such characters as it gives focus and 'justification' to their violent tendencies and total lack of moral compass.

You forgot the plain criminals who love this sort of chance to make money by looting etc ....

Am confident the looting will start the moment the authorities pass one of the medieval barricades. Then the fires will come to cover up any evidence.

Yes and no..

Easy, Abhisit only had the chance to be shoe horn in with help of Newin after three elected PM's were thrown out because idiot PADs dont like democracy when it is not them that win.

Abhisit and Shthep going to be more unpopular than Thaksin for sure. Thaksin and Reds have won media war and now gov has to show the world what fascist it is.

BBC, Al Jazeera, CNN only show brave troops shooting to try and kill civilians. Only Nation TAN and other yellow medias cannot bear to show it because is truth that hurt them.

Why are the reports in the thai media so different from that in the world media?

"Three journalists, one of them a Canadian with the France 24 television channel, were shot and wounded covering the unrest, underscoring the risks facing media in the capital, where a Japanese cameraman was killed last month."

Nelson Rand, a reporter who was covering fighting between troops and protesters for France 24, was hit by three bullets from a military assault rifle and "gravely wounded", his network reported. Thai news reports he was hit in the hand????????

"The army had warned Thursday it would deploy snipers around the Reds' protest site" Are the snipers for the media to stop the real story comming out or to systymatically pop of civilians?

"The prostesters threw stones and fireworks at the troops as the two-month standoff descended into more violence". "The soldiers... had no choice but to respond to these attacks," Panitan told a news conference, adding that troops were authorised to use live ammunition in self-defence, for warning shots or against armed gunmen.

At one point troops fired directly at protesters and then advanced up a road, shooting into the air, according to an AFP reporter. STONES V'S LIVE ROUNDS yes that's an even match (<deleted>)

"Abhisit has already started civil war," top Red Shirt Nattawut Saikuar told reporters.

"We urgently demand the government withdraw the military and stop all violence," he said. "I don't know how we can survive tonight if Abhisit does not agree to a ceasefire. We hope that Abhisit does not want war."

The incident has generated a lot of comments on talk back radio in Australia and it appears that the international community is opposed to the actions of the government and the yellow shirts some calling it straight out murder of civilians by troops.

It doesn't matter which side you support red or yellow you would have to agree that the actions taken by the government is way over the top and has tarnished the reputation of Thailand in the eyes of the world. I also believe that the latest action has destroyed the tourist industry to a point of almost wiping it out.

"............STONES V'S LIVE ROUNDS yes that's an even match (<deleted>) " Well I agree with the <deleted>. Why should it be an even match? One side is out looking for a fight; the other side is doing their job. Should they stand there fondling their testicles while a deranged mob throw rocks and slingshot marbles at them? The troopers are just normal blokes with a shitty job to do, and at the end of it they want to go to their wife/gf and kids without body parts damaged or missing. You want to attack them, they'll give you a warning shot or 2, you don't take the hint then you will get badly hurt. And after they are shown the video of the guys on the truck surrendering and getting shot for their reticence to hurt other thais, don't be surprised if the warning shots come Melbourne police style - in the head.

I still believe if the military rolled out the welcome mat for these folks and made their job easier and safer that they would get better reporting on their side. As you mentioned about not being native speakers ... they should have translators available all the time for the non-Thai press as well as scheduled news conferences throughout the day. If the authorities and gov't could show they have their act together for reporters it would really go a long way to getting their message out through these same reporters.

And yes, this is manipulative but it is done all the time as standard operating procedure.

Yes, I do agree with this jc.

I think essentially we are making the same point - that the media should not be running around at will, and should be properly managed. Unfortunately, good management seems to be lacking in a lot of areas around this issue. :)

Some posters here calling Nelson a idiot or inexperienced

"Nelson Rand is an intrepid adventurer. Despite the warnings and threats against his life, he journeyed into the most dangerous parts of Southeast Asia to witness the plight of the oppressed. He hiked through the jungles of Laos to interview Hmong guerillas, the remnants of the rebel army that refused to surrender to the communist government.

In Vietnam, he ventured into the central highlands to document the civil rights abuses suffered by the Montagard people, persecuted by the communist government because they fought alongside American forces in the Vietnam War.

He saw action in Burma where he joined forces with the Karen National Liberation Army and accompanied the insurgents as they mounted full scale attacks on Junta forces. Rand describes the Karen's plight as one of the worst humanitarian disasters of our time. He documented cases of rape, killings, torture and the forced relocation of Karen villages.

His audacious journey also took him to southern Thailand in search of Islamic extremists, who have turned the region into a war zone.

While travelling in Cambodia, he accompanied government soldiers on their final offensive against the Khmer Rouge. Rand's book is a highly informative but sobering portrait of Southeast Asia and its secret conflicts."

http://www.dcothai.com/product_info.php?products_id=973

Its a very informative book actually and an easy read I can recommend it

It sounds like Nelson is very Qualified and well experienced, however there is a couple things that come into play here. One thing is just being in the right place at the wrong time and another is when any of us feel comfortable and over-confident, we tend to get a bit complacent and let our guard down at just the wrong moment. So sorry to hear of his injuries and hope the recovery is speedy..............

In that case they have every right to use deadly force to protect themselves

do you see the result of seizure of military vehicle in other part of the world ? simply the soldiers are allow to defend and to shoot, no excuse !

you can rewind the video and see the soldier just 'wai' to the civilians for peace ! SO, are these Thai soldiers are too kind, or the government is too kind ?

I don't see your point of 'Its COLD BLOODED MURDER pure and simple' ?