Sukhumvit Road Area

minoz

Hi im scheduled to arrive to BKK on monday 16th i intended to stay at the JW Marriot Soi 2 Sukhumvit.

What is the situation around this area?

Are tailors, shops,resturants,bars, etc open as normal or has sukhumvit closed all shops, tailors etc.

Anyone in the area that can please advice? is it possible to get here by taxi or has all the possible entrys been closed?

Are you both mad. Embassys are telling people not to go to Thailand never mind Bangkok and you are arriving soon.Braindead comes to mind

What do you suggest I do then? You know nothing about my situation, so I don't see how you are in a position to comment about it.

So I take it you don't know what the situation is like around Sukhumvit, so your comment is even more worthless.

FO advice is always over the top. If part of a city is unsafe, they will advise not to go to any part of the city. That is just not good advice.

I have also read of Brits who live there and still feel very safe. If they feel safe, there's no reason that I shouldn't feel safe.

All I'm asking is what it's like in a particular area.

Edited by w11guy

Are you both mad. Embassys are telling people not to go to Thailand never mind Bangkok and you are arriving soon.Braindead comes to mind

i wish i had said that

Do either of you live in Bangkok? If so, how come you haven't left ifit's so unsafe? Or is it safe for you but not for me?

Embassies are always telling people not to visit Thailand becase of this or that. Most places are very peaceful. I'm not sure that is such a good reason.

Embassies are always telling people not to visit Thailand becase of this or that. Most places are very peaceful. I'm not sure that is such a good reason.

I'm an American living with my Korean wife and kids in Rama 3 (Narathiwat) and they claim that Sathorn and Silom are not good places to go, especially ANYWHERE near Central World, but I have friends who live off of Sukumvit and they said that they have been told to stay off the streets and seeing soldiers with machine guns have become an everyday thing.

Lastly, it was reported on the radio that the Red Shirts, or someone associated with the Red Shirts was going to blow up a department store, so officials on the radio said to stay out of the malls yesterday.

My best advice to people coming to Thailand......get in a taxi and head to Pattaya or somewhere other than Bangkok until this whole mess comes to an end.

I really am amazed though, I live on my quiet soi and I NEVER even see a Red Shirt or a soldier, yet I know 3 miles away they are shooting each other. Simply amazing!

The thing about Bangkok and Thailand and this thing going on is the uncertainty. JW Marriott in the Nana area should be fine although I was there during songkran and there was many red shirts dancing around. Since then they have been told not to wear their red shirts and clothing so you can not determine who is who. Also you must understand that a lot of the red shirts are service workers from Bangkok. Protest during the day work at night or work during the day and protest at night. This fact has not been really reported.

It is a very uncertain time and there are several wild cards in play which I will not mention due to fact I do not know Thai law all that well and it at times the laws seem to be uncertain and arbitrary. These are historical times in Thailand and it is anybodies guest how they will turn out.

There are many interests involved just in the Thail community itself let alone the interest from abroad that adds to the feastering stew.

You should be fine but just remember you are walking into a hornets nest. Be careful in all your movements

. Slow and gentle are the words of the day.

The embassies are correct this time and the situation is too fragile at the moment. Re the two areas mentioned, Suk 2 is toooo close to the battle zone imo and 23 is close to a major intersection at asoke which could come into play at anytime.

Bts and mrt are not running.

Take the other posters advice and head straight to pattaya once you arrive, plenty of tailors etc etc to keep you busy without the need to enter a war zone.

The situation is simply unpredictable, changes every day - fighting could break out near the Marriott at any time since it is quite close to the troubles.

If you have to come, my suggestion would be to stay as far away from the troubles as possible - example Sheraton Sukhumvit - there are also some Boutique Hotels on Ramkamheng near Foodland - avoid going anywhere near the area where the mob is. If you need to go to shopping centers go to the ones in the outskirts like Fashion Island on Ram Intra or the Mall Bang Kapi - both are good and safe.

I would avoid Nana because there is always a possibility of a bomb going off in an area like that right now.

Stick to that and you should be OK

The problem you need to consider is that many clashes are taking place OUTSIDE the protest zone designated by the reds and the army. See Richard Barrow's helpful map to confirm that aspect. Things can really flare up just about anywhere in the city right now. The army really doesn't have the place under control yet despite the soothsaying of the government. Take the advice of others and head East from the airport and not West toward BKK.

Edited by toptuan

What do you suggest I do then? You know nothing about my situation, so I don't see how you are in a position to comment about it.

So I take it you don't know what the situation is like around Sukhumvit, so your comment is even more worthless.

FO advice is always over the top. If part of a city is unsafe, they will advise not to go to any part of the city. That is just not good advice.

I have also read of Brits who live there and still feel very safe. If they feel safe, there's no reason that I shouldn't feel safe.

OK, to answer the questions (and obviously this is a purely personal assessment and any travel plans that you make will be on your own best judgement):

Sukhumvit Soi 2 is close to the Ploenchit perimeter. There have, apparently, been some issues in The Nana area already, and I have seen that some of the smaller businesses around Soi 3 and Soi 4 have decided to close down as a precaution. My fear would be that if there is a 'crack down' then the Sukhumvit/Ploenchit interchange might become an overspill area for the troubles. There are plenty of other tailor shops and bars further up Sukhumvit, as well as several hotels to choose from.

Soi 23 is very quiet right now, although it is relatively close to the PM's house. Everything is open here; the only real difference is the drop off in customers, and the reduction in the numbers of 'street people' and motorcycle taxi drivers loitering around the Soi Cowboy area, so actually a bit of an improvement. BTW, I live on 23, so have little choice in the 'should I stay or should I go' stakes.

The overall situation in Bangkok remains unpredictable, to say the least. Sukhumvit has been the scene for several Red motorcades in the past weeks; these are probably a thing of the past, but who can tell?

It is up to you whether or not you still want to come to Bangkok. As one respondent said, Pattaya might be a better option (it is extremely hot here, in addition to the political and safety issues, so the beach might be better). If you do come to Bangkok, any avoidance tactics should be at the personal level. Simply stay away from any known trouble spots, and don't interact with any demonstrators from any of the factions. Some visitors seem to believe that the demonstrations are a form of tourist attraction, or even that they themselves can contribute to the cause. That is their prerogative, but I would NOT encourage any such activity.

Finally: One of the other respondents on this thread raised a very valid point. Many of the bar and service staff in both Nana and Cowboy and beyond are Red-aligned or even -activists. A good move is therefore to avoid discussion of the current political situation when you are out and about, even within your group of friends, and especially don't try to debate the topic with any locals that you may meet in these areas. There is no point. Just try to live with this temporary restriction on your Freedom of Speech, and talk about something else (e.g. how nice Thai food is, football, etc., etc.). This advice also covers any interaction that you may have with taxi drivers.

I hope these opinions are in some way helpful to you in your making your own decisions. Stay safe!

You will be fine.

Nana Plaza still open wide for all.

You run more chance of getting a STD than a bullet.

Unless of course the lady you meet has a sniper for a bf.

Just bring protection and avoid wearing red.

QUOTE (jackdawson @ 2010-05-16 07:19:41)

i wish i had said that

Do either of you live in Bangkok? If so, how come you haven't left ifit's so unsafe? Or is it safe for you but not for me?

thailife69 is quite correct. i live at the corner of Sukhumvit and Rama 4. I just returned to BKK for the weekend from working in Pattaya. Yesterday I drove down Sukhumvit to Nana Soi 2 and 4. All was normal, meaning the barricades are up just beyond Suk Soi 2 at Wireless Rd., just north of where you will be. But there were no problems there. No redshirts were around (that I could tell), only a few single stationary soldiers standing post. It is business as usual there, street vendors hawking wares, girls hawking themselves, beer flowing, tourists wandering around, bands playing too loudly. I didn't hear any explosions or gunfire. If I had not known what was going on, I may have questioned why a soldier was standing post across from the bar I was in on Suk Soi 4, but other than that, I didn't notice a single thing out of place.

I would not want to head too far west closer to Rama 4, were some of the clashes are taking place. I may head that way today for business though, and I will post any updates.

We have our armchair generals, safe in their air con bungalows in Isaan telling how the situation is here in Bangkok. They see the television reports, read the Thaivisa tweet updates, and get emotional information from their Thai wives, and think that they know the situation. Unless you are here, you don't know. When someone asks a question, answer the question asked, don't spout off with useless drivel.

My advice, stay abreast of the situation before you come, when you get here, be aware of your surroundings, stay out of the barricaded Red Zone, do as the police/soldiers/red guards tell you, and just use good common sense.

If you agenda are shopping, not the good time to come here.

Outside, You will be fine, perhaps you will need to revise your stay in one area if problem occur, many safe spots in Bangkok, just the inconvenient with traffic and some public transport close !

Soi2 - 33 plus is okay for now. Just make sure you have an evacuation plan, this is vital and should not be overlooked!

If all hel_l breaks loose my plan is to grad a cab for an emergency dash to the Afterschool bar soi cowboy and sit in the dark corner there and hope for a happy ending

You will be fine.

or yellow,

I'm on Suk 50 and if it wasn't for the news bullitens you wouldn't know there was trouble at mill down road.

You will be fine.

you talking about protection against rubber bullets of the girls on Nana? :)

I'm arriving next week and will be staying at Sukhumvit Soi 23. What's that area like at the moment?

Anyone living in that area planning to leave?

The Traffic is a little worse than usual, particularly during the peak period. Other than that, there was some light rain this morning and its still a bit overcast.

The BTS and MRT are not open today, so you would have to find your entertainment around Suk 23.

This was the situation on Sukhumvit soi 2 around 9 PM last night:

Bangkok-Protest-Nana-Plaza-3.jpg

In fact I have a full report on my site about that area specifically but alas, forum rules prevent me from placing the link here, despite its relevance...

I arrived midnight last night at airport- my taxi took me along the express way and we tried to enter suk at sukhumvit soi 2- blocked by about 50 soldiers, no cars allowed and they made us turn back. So, no you cant go via soi 2.

i wish i had said that

Note to self: never post idiotic one liners

suk 2, 4 and near areas are quite safe for NOW.....i hope it doesnot spill over. heard that government is about to announce curfew...follow bangkokpost.com

Yah, listen to your embassy and be a pawn! :)

i wish i had said that

No I live in Pattaya but the info I receive is from a friend who lives on Silom Rd. Enjoy your holiday

To answer your question i wouldnt stay at suk 2, suk 23 is ok at the moment but the situation could get worse very quickly, so avoid the suk. Most Farang who live here and feel safe, only feel safe because we dont live on the suk. Bars and restaurants are still open, but to be honest the best advice on here was the one that said skip bkk this time and go to Pattaya or Samet or down south, unless you really desperately have to come to bkk, especially as there is going to be a curfew soon!

OK, to answer the questions (and obviously this is a purely personal assessment and any travel plans that you make will be on your own best judgement):

Sukhumvit Soi 2 is close to the Ploenchit perimeter. There have, apparently, been some issues in The Nana area already, and I have seen that some of the smaller businesses around Soi 3 and Soi 4 have decided to close down as a precaution. My fear would be that if there is a 'crack down' then the Sukhumvit/Ploenchit interchange might become an overspill area for the troubles. There are plenty of other tailor shops and bars further up Sukhumvit, as well as several hotels to choose from.

Soi 23 is very quiet right now, although it is relatively close to the PM's house. Everything is open here; the only real difference is the drop off in customers, and the reduction in the numbers of 'street people' and motorcycle taxi drivers loitering around the Soi Cowboy area, so actually a bit of an improvement. BTW, I live on 23, so have little choice in the 'should I stay or should I go' stakes.

The overall situation in Bangkok remains unpredictable, to say the least. Sukhumvit has been the scene for several Red motorcades in the past weeks; these are probably a thing of the past, but who can tell?

It is up to you whether or not you still want to come to Bangkok. As one respondent said, Pattaya might be a better option (it is extremely hot here, in addition to the political and safety issues, so the beach might be better). If you do come to Bangkok, any avoidance tactics should be at the personal level. Simply stay away from any known trouble spots, and don't interact with any demonstrators from any of the factions. Some visitors seem to believe that the demonstrations are a form of tourist attraction, or even that they themselves can contribute to the cause. That is their prerogative, but I would NOT encourage any such activity.

Finally: One of the other respondents on this thread raised a very valid point. Many of the bar and service staff in both Nana and Cowboy and beyond are Red-aligned or even -activists. A good move is therefore to avoid discussion of the current political situation when you are out and about, even within your group of friends, and especially don't try to debate the topic with any locals that you may meet in these areas. There is no point. Just try to live with this temporary restriction on your Freedom of Speech, and talk about something else (e.g. how nice Thai food is, football, etc., etc.). This advice also covers any interaction that you may have with taxi drivers.

I hope these opinions are in some way helpful to you in your making your own decisions. Stay safe!

Thanks for the real info mate! It is very meaningful!

There is huge black plumes of smoke I can see from my balcony about 30 minutes ago (Sukhumvit 89).