Interest On Bank Account Possible?

Is it possible to get a decent interest on an ordinary savings account with Thai banks? In order not to have to go into funds of various kinds.

Site rules prohibit direct pointers, but please try give some general advice on how to go about it.

At the bank I deal with (Bangkok Bank), the best you can get is 0.75%.

Fixed-term deposits of 18 months or more can get a maximum of 2.00% per annum (didn't see a minimum deposit requirement, but there probably is one).

As I mentioned on another thread, my Canadian bank shows a rate of 0.00% on balances less then 5,000. It goes up to 0.5% if you have 5-25k, and 0.75% if you have over 50,000 deposited.

Far better off to get into funds if you are looking to increase your bottom line. It can be a lot of hassle doing it on your own though, but if you put the effort into it, it can be rewarding as well.

I had 30,000 managed by an investment company in 96/97. In about 14 months, they had lost over 7,000 of that by buying poor funds (that paid large commissions). :o

I took the remaining 23,000 and managed it myself. Turned it into 90,000 within a year (a lot of highly speculative, short term investments). Got greedy and lost sight of the overall plan. (The market started dropping and I refused to sell, thinking I was losing money. Forgot that everything above the initial 23 k was profit any ways). :D

I'd still be doing my own thing, but where I work now, I don't have the access to the sites and information I need to be able to do it effectively. So my money now sits in the bank, earning that whole 0.5% a year :D