Importing Used Engine From Uk

INTJ

Hi,

I want to import several used BMW engines from the UK, M52B28 (straight 6), M62 (4.4 V8), M70 (5.0 V12), does anyone have any experience of the procedures involved / rates of duty.

Do I need any special licenses ? Will the tax be higher than Japanese engine ?

Just general ideas of how to go about this.......thanks in advance

• 5 months later...

Brought in a refurd / race prepped fireblade motorbike engine, but called it used.. was due to pay 10% and 7% legally I think but my agent fudged the docs and slipped customs a couple of grand and it ended up costing about 8% of the item and shipping total including the bung and the agent fees.

Hi,

I have been bringing used engines into Thailand now for about 7 years. Most of these have been BMW. S14, S50, M52's and so on.

Engines & Engine + gearboxs brought in by themselves, i.e not mixed with other parts are taxable at 10%

There are plenty of tricks to keep the duty low also.

One thing worthy of noting is that you neet to register the imported engine with the Land Transport department so that it can be added to your / your customers blue book.

Engines are best shipped dry, so if you have a reliable person to drain, crate-up and lift the rest is easy.

Drop me a PM if you want any further help.

Cheers.

>>Engines & Engine + gearboxs brought in by themselves, i.e not mixed with other parts are taxable at 10%

Is that rate for engines of all displacements and horsepower?

Yes, it dosent matter on the size of the engine, its not like the cars themselves, they are dependant on engine size.

What figure is the 10% based upon ??

For instance if I was to bring in say a supercharged 454ci chev bigblock and Lenco gearbox, how would the 10% import tax be calculated on such a combo ??

Edited by Spoonman

Nah, its already built so it has to stay at 454......... I can fudge a reciept for sure, but lots of shiney big in your face bits look expensive, I reckon they might know Im tellin porkies if its valued at 30,000b.

Edited by Spoonman

For instance if I was to bring in say a supercharged 454ci chev bigblock and Lenco gearbox, how would the 10% import tax be calculated on such a combo ??

You would have to be careful with the invoice value. If you said it was $1500 US and they openened the crate and saw it was a $7000 US shining jewel of a unit they would adjust the valuation.

However if it was a $7000 US unit and you had it down as $4 - 5000 you would probably get away with it.

It is obviously possible to make it look ordinary by removing the rocker covers and the supercharger.

Like everything it is a case of being reasonable and playing within sensible limits.

Lets make that a 502 :D. How would customs know the value or can you fudge a receipt from a pal when sending. B)

Answer on PM if you like.

You would have to be careful with the invoice value. If you said it was $1500 US and they openened the crate and saw it was a $7000 US shining jewel of a unit they would adjust the valuation.

However if it was a $7000 US unit and you had it down as $4 - 5000 you would probably get away with it.

It is obviously possible to make it look ordinary by removing the rocker covers and the supercharger.

Like everything it is a case of being reasonable and playing within sensible limits.

Yeah thats what I was thinking, I have to go home for a holiday soon, I could possibly pull the blower/injection hat and stuff off and bring as carry on.