I would like to get some info from some international sources in regards to amendments that are added to the soil. I purchased a 10 wheel truck full of the burnoff from sugar cane production. It is an excellent source of bio-char but I had my wife purchase it when i was in the US and ended up not putting it into my 14 raI FARM and hauled it off to use for other purposes. The reason I eventually didn't use it was I wasn't sure what the people who certify for organic would consider this amendment and i couldn't afford to put it on the farm and lose my status (self controlled) of organic on the big plot. I had to take out a small section of the farm from organic where i dumped it originally.

Sooooo the big question does anyone have any definitive answer to the poossibility that this bio-char may qualify as organic due to the fact that the crop has been burned and the chaR IS ALL THAT I AM USING. yES IF YOU WATER WITH GLACIER MELT OFF FROM THE NORTh pole you are going to get DDT into your farm as it is everywhere on the earth. So have any certifying agencies had to deal with something similar to this and what was their decision and basis for it?

I will try to contact the CCOF (Certified Califoria Organic Farmers) for an answer in regards to this but I haven't been active in their organisation for nearly 30 years but helped write up the first health and Safety laws for the State of California to legislate the use of the word organic in reference to agriculture in California. Buri Ram still has no program to certify farmers (we are currently doing rice and looking to do aqua-culture and many different types of fruit and veggies also) in this area and if anyone has any info to assist in this we would be happy for some info. The big co-op in Surin does not want any outsiders due to logistics of using their mnachinery in harvesting and organising their meetings and and and .....so that was a dead end a few years back.

So big queston again, is the sugar cane bio-char which is beautiful, will it pass current organic standards and laws as you have seen them used or interpreted. thanks and Fords Forever Choke Dee Hey jandtaaa I'm hoping you can set me right on this one.

foreverford, we havent seen jandtaa for three months on any forum and i sent u a pm asking if u had phone number etc... so i guess u dont either...

i will try to ask around here in isreal if there is a list that would be useful but it will take time (i have to ask someone to ask my ex since he doesnt speak to me)he was an organics certifier blabla for field crops in israel a few years ago...

and if anyone has info about jandtaa, pm me or other mods... or have him pm us if he doesnt want to be public....

bina

currently modding for jandtaa in this forum......

• 2 weeks later...
foreverford, we havent seen jandtaa for three months on any forum and i sent u a pm asking if u had phone number etc... so i guess u dont either...

i will try to ask around here in isreal if there is a list that would be useful but it will take time (i have to ask someone to ask my ex since he doesnt speak to me)he was an organics certifier blabla for field crops in israel a few years ago...

and if anyone has info about jandtaa, pm me or other mods... or have him pm us if he doesnt want to be public....

bina

Hi Bina sorry I didn't get your PM or I would have responded even if I didn't have the info you needed but I don't own a computer so it may have been lost in space. I hope Jandtaa surfaces soon as he is a very fine fellow. Hopefully everything is alright and he just needs some time. Thanks for your offer of help I have my sis -in-law in California also asking some folks as I think that the bio-char from the sugar cane should qualify for organic but i need to kn9ow before i introduce it into my farms because I can't gamble with going basck to day one in regards to my organic status.

I look at it as if you have manure from animals that are eating things that are not organic. the manure is still able to be used on organic farms but I will still wait to see what I find out. thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

bina

Hi Bina sorry I didn't get your PM or I would have responded even if I didn't have the info you needed but I don't own a computer so it may have been lost in space. I hope Jandtaa surfaces soon as he is a very fine fellow. Hopefully everything is alright and he just needs some time. Thanks for your offer of help I have my sis -in-law in California also asking some folks as I think that the bio-char from the sugar cane should qualify for organic but i need to kn9ow before i introduce it into my farms because I can't gamble with going basck to day one in regards to my organic status.

I look at it as if you have manure from animals that are eating things that are not organic. the manure is still able to be used on organic farms but I will still wait to see what I find out. thanks again

I got this from the USDA (US dept of Ag) and it appears there is no problem using the bio-char from the sugar cane. This is a good source for everyone as it will answer a lot of questions on what we have legislated in the US to qualify for organics http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getfile?dD...=STELDEV3003507 choke dee and Fords forever