95 Non Gasohol Unavailable?

I tried to buy some non-gasohol 95 petrol yesterday and was surprised that none of the garages I tried (PTT, Caltex, Shell, Lemon Green) stock it any more. Shell had a "super gasohol 95", but I need original 95 for my lawn mowers; I had to get 91 non-gasohol instead as both specify not to use gasohol but the power is noticeably down.

Does anyone know who still sells non-gasohol 95, or if there are any easily available additives to up-grade 91 octane?

Shell still sell it at selected stations - what you need to look for on the pump is this:

วี-เพาเวอร์ เบนซิน

(V-Power Benzene)

They have an info line you can call to find the nearest station that stocks it: 0-2657-9888

Edit: A quick way to check whether your getting the benzene V-Power rather than the Gasohol type is price: V-Power Benzene is currenty 42.2 Baht/litre vs 35.5 Baht/litre for the gasohol variant.

For that matter, the prices sign board out the front could be your guide - if you see a price in the 40+ baht/litre range, it's pretty certain to be 95 octane benzene.

Also, you can scrub PTT off your list - they haven't sold 95 Benzene since July 2008..

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Shell still sell it at selected stations - what you need to look for on the pump is this:

วี-เพาเวอร์ เบนซิน

(V-Power Benzene)

They have an info line you can call to find the nearest station that stocks it: 0-2657-9888

Edit: A quick way to check whether your getting the benzene V-Power rather than the Gasohol type is price: V-Power Benzene is currenty 42.2 Baht/litre vs 35.5 Baht/litre for the gasohol variant.

V-power benzene is not available in Pattaya anymore since last week. We asked and they told that they would not sell it anymore.

They didn't told us why they stopped selling it.

I need a 95 octane benzene in my motorbike (ZX9R) and since the last 3-4 months i used the V-power benzene in the Honda City too.

The car was running much better on it then all other brand gasohol 91's and 95's that i tried.

Only place that i know in Pattaya is Calltex in Pattaya South who has benzene 95 but i haven't been there in the last few months.

Regards,

alex

Many thanks for all of the above - I'll pick up some additive at Carrefour before that goes off the shelves too, and check Caltex Pattaya Tai/Sukhumvit. I think I tried it last night, but I honestly can't remember so I'll post whether they have it or not here, as well as any Shell stations I pass between Si Racha and Rayong with benzene 95. Knowing its 42 baht a litre makes it a lot easier, but at nearly 5 pounds a gallon I could be back in England!

Your lucky you found non-gasahol 91 . Word is Thailand is going 100% gasahol. Here in Phuket it is disappearing, or has disappeared. I heard Caltex had it recently but I haven't seen non-gasahol 91 or 95 in some time.

That's pretty scary for those of us who have two-stroke motorbikes - as I understand it, the gasahol destroys two stroke motors within a tank or two.

Only place that i know in Pattaya is Calltex in Pattaya South who has benzene 95 but i haven't been there in the last few months.

filled up last sunday; 3,240 Baht :)

Well, they definitely didn't have any today, nor did PTT or any of the main suppliers around Pattaya; the only supplier I have left to try is Q8.

I also checked the "additives" at Carrefour. Although they are clearly labelled and marketed heavily by the three(!) salesmen who tried to get me to spend anything from 200 to 2,000 baht as fuel "boosters", they are not. If you read the labels carefully they are no more than engine cleaners designed to clean fuel injectors and carb jets. I bought a bottle of additive at PTT (Jiffy) for 100 baht which should treat 50 litres of petrol - I will see what happens.

Clare, that's my understanding too. My grass strimmer (Chinese made) is two stroke, and I was told to avoid gasohol at all costs; my self-propelled mower (US made Briggs & Stratton) is 4 stroke, but I was told to avoid gasohol with that too.

I have to admit to being a bit dim about the fuel choices in Thailand.

I had always put 91 Benzene in the motorcy and 95 Benzene or Gasohol in the pick up. Somebody told me that you should only put gasohol in one in four times as it "rots the fuel pipes".

I am used to unleaded or diesel in the UK - simple.

Can someone explain the differences please.

Well, they definitely didn't have any today, nor did PTT or any of the main suppliers around Pattaya; the only supplier I have left to try is Q8.

I also checked the "additives" at Carrefour. Although they are clearly labelled and marketed heavily by the three(!) salesmen who tried to get me to spend anything from 200 to 2,000 baht as fuel "boosters", they are not. If you read the labels carefully they are no more than engine cleaners designed to clean fuel injectors and carb jets. I bought a bottle of additive at PTT (Jiffy) for 100 baht which should treat 50 litres of petrol - I will see what happens.

Well while I don't read Thai, the BOOSTER I purchased brand name Karshine clearly states in English on the front label that it boosts fuel and 91 gasohol to 95 octane rating...Seems you let the clueless salesman who just wants to make a commission and thinks you don't know what you really want steer you to the wrong section.. I also saw but didn't purchase due to size STP octane booster and I know for a fact that is what it does, along with the other additional benefits you mentioned..

Clare, that's my understanding too. My grass strimmer (Chinese made) is two stroke, and I was told to avoid gasohol at all costs; my self-propelled mower (US made Briggs & Stratton) is 4 stroke, but I was told to avoid gasohol with that too.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Well while I don't read Thai, the BOOSTER I purchased brand name Karshine clearly states in English on the front label that it boosts fuel and 91 gasohol to 95 octane rating...Seems you let the clueless salesman who just wants to make a commission and thinks you don't know what you really want steer you to the wrong section.. I also saw but didn't purchase due to size STP octane booster and I know for a fact that is what it does, along with the other additional benefits you mentioned.

I could be wrong so I'll check again next time, but all the additives are next to each other so comparing them's pretty straightforward. I think I remember the Karshine one as having Booster very prominently on the front, with a 3-way diagram of 91 and 95 gasohol being "boosted", while the back was very clear that any "boosting" was only because your engine would be cleaner and not because you should add so much per litre to boost the fuel. I'll let you know.

Edited by JohnLeech

Well while I don't read Thai, the BOOSTER I purchased brand name Karshine clearly states in English on the front label that it boosts fuel and 91 gasohol to 95 octane rating...Seems you let the clueless salesman who just wants to make a commission and thinks you don't know what you really want steer you to the wrong section.. I also saw but didn't purchase due to size STP octane booster and I know for a fact that is what it does, along with the other additional benefits you mentioned.

I could be wrong so I'll check again next time, but all the additives are next to each other so comparing them's pretty straightforward. I think I remember the Karshine one as having Booster very prominently on the front, with a 3-way diagram of 91 and 95 gasohol being "boosted", while the back was very clear that any "boosting" was only because your engine would be cleaner and not because you should add so much per litre to boost the fuel. I'll let you know.

Karshine is the booster that i found in Surin in the Makro when we were visiting family there. They had a additive for cleaning the injection system and this Booster for octane rating for fuel. I looked before for it in Pattaya, never found it.

However, the wife just filled up the car this morning at Calltex in Pattaya North, where they had Benzene 95.

Sounds like you're describing the one I have, but nothing clear in English written on the back so I'm dubious about the translation, not yours but theirs. Actually as Thai marketing usually goes they were shelved top shelf at the end away from the other similar products you're referring to maybe that's why. Sorry I didn't give you the name earlier I didn't think it would be that much of a run around for you though I should have known, TIT, so I went out and got it from my trunk and having put it in my car I can tell you it has made an immediate difference in operation as it used to detonate more before I put it in...

Karshine is the booster that i found in Surin in the Makro when we were visiting family there. They had a additive for cleaning the injection system and this Booster for octane rating for fuel.

Ok thanks for that I didn't think I was loosing it completely, now more then ever I'm thinking that like I said it was located in a different place on the top at the end of the isle depending on the store of course but as I remember it was definitely not in the same location as the other engine cleaning products... I think that checking with True Value is a good idea too as they have more products from the states and some along these lines..

I looked before for it in Pattaya, never found it.

However, the wife just filled up the car this morning at Calltex in Pattaya North, where they had Benzene 95.

Alex,

many thanks for the info about Caltex Pattaya Nua. I passed there today and didn't even bother checking as there was nothing in Caltex elsewhere. I'll take my petrol can next time!

WS,

checking at True Value is an excellent idea - I now remember that they had an American Octane Booster, but it was a while ago and I had completely forgotten about it.Thanks for that.

I checked again at Carrefour. There are three additives from Karshine: one specifically to clean injectors, one for diesel engines and one for petrol engines. The one for petrol engines, which is the one you have, is prominently labelled "booster" and has a triangle on the front which appears to show that the booster is an octane booster - its NOT. The back lists the benefits (in Thai), such as smoother running, better lubrication, lining the cylinders, cleaning the carb jets/injectors, etc, and advising you to put one bottle in your tank every 8,000 to 10,000 kms. The "booster" refers to boosting your car's performance by cleaning the engine (internally), and the 91/95/gasohol shown prominently on the front are the engines it can be used in - nothing to do with the octane upgrade even though that is how it appears.

None of the additives at Carrefour today (I don't know about STP as there was none available/on display) are fuel boosters, designed to raise the octane rating. On some the instructions are in English and Thai, some have a Thai label over the English original, some are only in Thai, but on close inspection none are anything more than engine/carb cleaners. The Karshine "Petrol booster" is by far the most deceptively labelled.

They may appear to be octane boosters, be labelled and dressed up as octane boosters, be marketed as octane boosters, and may even have the same effect as an octane booster (possibly better), but they aren't the real thing. A bit like ending up with a katoey instead of the orginal article, in a lot of ways!

Guys,

check the True Value website http://www.truevalue.co.th/product.php?id=4

The store is located on the south bound side of Suk, just opposite Lotus and Outlet Mall.

Plenty of hard to find products including octane booster on page 2&3!! :):D

Suits my M5 perfectly, as it runs a hel_l of a lot better on higher octane than 91!

There is also several Lead substitute additive for those who need that, so we should all get help here :-D

Cheers

Jalla

that's when my wife filled up her car with "95"!

Alex,

many thanks for the info about Caltex Pattaya Nua. I passed there today and didn't even bother checking as there was nothing in Caltex elsewhere. I'll take my petrol can next time!

WS,

checking at True Value is an excellent idea - I now remember that they had an American Octane Booster, but it was a while ago and I had completely forgotten about it.Thanks for that.

I checked again at Carrefour. There are three additives from Karshine: one specifically to clean injectors, one for diesel engines and one for petrol engines. The one for petrol engines, which is the one you have, is prominently labelled "booster" and has a triangle on the front which appears to show that the booster is an octane booster - its NOT. The back lists the benefits (in Thai), such as smoother running, better lubrication, lining the cylinders, cleaning the carb jets/injectors, etc, and advising you to put one bottle in your tank every 8,000 to 10,000 kms. The "booster" refers to boosting your car's performance by cleaning the engine (internally), and the 91/95/gasohol shown prominently on the front are the engines it can be used in - nothing to do with the octane upgrade even though that is how it appears.

None of the additives at Carrefour today (I don't know about STP as there was none available/on display) are fuel boosters, designed to raise the octane rating. On some the instructions are in English and Thai, some have a Thai label over the English original, some are only in Thai, but on close inspection none are anything more than engine/carb cleaners. The Karshine "Petrol booster" is by far the most deceptively labelled.

They may appear to be octane boosters, be labelled and dressed up as octane boosters, be marketed as octane boosters, and may even have the same effect as an octane booster (possibly better), but they aren't the real thing. A bit like ending up with a katoey instead of the orginal article, in a lot of ways!

:) Katoey!!!! There's a scary thought!! Sure anything's possible and that does sound like what I bought though it did make a noticeable difference in how my car ran in terms of detonation being reduced considerably.. The Carrefore I shopped at was up here (Bangkok) and maybe they either don't carry or didn't have the STP in stock there but I'm sure I saw it but since I wasn't going to fill my tank I decided not to purchase it having too much left over until the next filling as I don't use a lot of petrol since I have LP..

But yeah check out TrueValue quite possible they even have it specifically for lawnmowers but if not they may also be able to order some if their is interest, being available through the TrueValue franchise..I've done that through Home Pro for products offered from Permatex since they carry Permatex products, very often they don't know what the farang community would like them to carry, but they have access, so input is appreciated..

Your lucky you found non-gasahol 91 . Word is Thailand is going 100% gasahol. Here in Phuket it is disappearing, or has disappeared. I heard Caltex had it recently but I haven't seen non-gasahol 91 or 95 in some time.

91 non gasohol still in most stations no ??

What I always use for cars and bike.. Must use on the bike !!

There is a Caltex in Chonburi on the bypass that sells (sold?) Benzene 95.

In BKK there are several Shell stations that sell the V-power. Mostly in the middle of town. Ratchada etc. Some Caltex stations also have it.

Not sure it there is a difference in quality between the two.

ONE time recently I have seen a PTT with Benzene 95. The price was 40+. Somewhere in BKK, don't remember where.

Regarding octane boosters, I have read here repeatedly that these are illegal in Thailand. Is this true?

And would a water/methanol injection system be considered an octane booster?

If these systems are legal, where could one buy the 50/50 mix?

I am considering placing a system on my S6.

Just came back from the True Value store in Pattaya South. Bought a small bottle of Octane Boost, will try it out and see what happens.

Looks like this is the real stuff, simular as i used years ago a few times in Holland.

Also filled up a can with Benzene 95 at Caltex in Pattaya South. Caltex station on the west side of Sukhumvit has it, between Makro and Tesco, the one on the east side of Sukhumvit behind the Ford garage does not have it.

91 non gasohol still in most stations no ??

What I always use for cars and bike.. Must use on the bike !!

91 non gasohol available in most stations, even Ptt. Government where supposed to make it illegal 2 years ago, but discovered most petrol small engines like lawnmovers,outboards etc can not run gasohol at all

Most thai bikes older than 5 years can not run gasohol, without premature damages

Guys,

The store is located on the south bound side of Suk, just opposite Lotus and Outlet Mall.

Suits my M5 perfectly, as it runs a hel_l of a lot better on higher octane than 91!

There is also several Lead substitute additive for those who need that, so we should all get help here :-D

Cheers

Jalla

Yeah and patronize them so they keep buying it and let them know every time you buy some to keep it coming as more are being referred to them...

Guys,

Cheers

Jalla

Hi

Thanks a lot, just what my bike want, i will "steal" your link

Shell has stopped the Benzine 95 - this is a real shame and my Subaru is meant for Benzine only.

I refuse to drive a boring car!

What Shell station and when? My wife filled the tank a few days ago with V-power. (Benzene 95)

Well, as far as i know the Shell at Pattaya North, just before the Pattaya Bangkok Hospital has stopped selling V-power Benzene 95.

This was the only Shell station around in Pattaya that i knew which had this V-Power Benzene 95. I stopped at several other Shell stations when i came from BKK and Rayong, and from other trips in the last weeks, never found another Shell station with V-Power Benzene 95.

At which station did your wife found the V-Power benzene ?

Shell has stopped the Benzine 95 - this is a real shame and my Subaru is meant for Benzine only.

I refuse to drive a boring car!

What Shell station and when? My wife filled the tank a few days ago with V-power. (Benzene 95)

Well, as far as i know the Shell at Pattaya North, just before the Pattaya Bangkok Hospital has stopped selling V-power Benzene 95.

This was the only Shell station around in Pattaya that i knew which had this V-Power Benzene 95. I stopped at several other Shell stations when i came from BKK and Rayong, and from other trips in the last weeks, never found another Shell station with V-Power Benzene 95.

At which station did your wife found the V-Power benzene ?

It is still V Power something, in red etc and looks like the old Benzine branded stuff. The staff will just assume you know and unless you make the effort to see that the sticker has been slightly modified you may not notice. Shell has nice useless phamflet explaining that its all ok...

I don't know about Caltex yet, but I may have to re-flash my ECU for gasohol. Allegedley it ads HP but I doubt it.