Curfew In Chiang Mai & Situation Updates

iainiain101

Two other topics merged into this one, so you will need to read back to get all posts-- if they seem a bit odd its because I had to merge two threads into one. Please try to keep these kinds of things in one thread, thanks.

I'm not sure why you would merge threads as one was quite specific to the scene going on at the Narawat Bridge which seems to be getting worse. The two fire trucks that had gone to put out the fires have been vandalized and they appeared to be draining the diesel to start them on fire. Someone, looking to be plain clothed police, pulled the hose from the tank and another closed the top.

Three truck of army went across the iron bridge to Chareon Prathet. Lots of people mulling around waiting for something to happen.

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ou school has just told us that that there is a curfew been imposed in Chiang mai from 8 pm to 6 am.

Can anyone confirm this?

In Bangkok curfew is imposed from 8pm to 6am

Airport Plaza in Chiang Mai will close at 5pm today

Ou school has just told us that that there is a curfew been imposed in Chiang mai from 8 pm to 6 am.

Can anyone confirm this?

Today, 2010-05-19 16:15:56

MCOT: CRES imposes curfew in Bangkok Wednesday from 8pm through Thursday 6am to allow security forces to control situation

That's for Bangkok

Haven't seen anything similar for Chiang Mai yet

Can anyone confirm this?

On the local CM tv channel they said the curfew include all SOE provinces (Chiang Mai). Now I hear conflicting reports, so, not sure. :)

Looking down stream from the Rimping Condo the fire on the east end of Nawarat bridge is still alight but the amount of smoke is less than earlier. The bridge appears to have a lot of people on it but no traffic.

The flower market and the road running past Goodview and The Riverside are both closed to traffic which means that the traffic using Nakorn Ping bridge is very heavy.

I have been informed this includes Chiangmai, but I cannot imagine being shot on sight for breaking the curfew :)

The Centre for the Resolution of the Emergency Situation (CRES) has announced curfew in Bangkok and nearby cities and provinces in the North and Northeast earlier placed under emergency law.

People in areas under curfew are not allowed to leave their homes from 8pm to 6am, with immediate effect.

State authorities are allowed to perform their duties in the restricted areas to restore peace and order.

The curfew order was signed by Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva late this afternoon.

source: Agencies

- 2010-05-19

was cycling today, passed nawarot bridge at 2:30. east end blocked by police. small group of protesters at

west end. as i went past, (it appeared) a small petrol bomb was thrown, small fire south side of west end.

returning along the moat at 4:00, changmoi road blocked by police. traffic other than scooters must continue

south. spotted one military helicopter hovering over SE quadrant of city.

crossing iron bridge, saw fire and smoke rising from east end of nawarot bridge.

having spent about two hours on the road, i saw a grand total of ONE red streamer on the antenna of a

late model hilux pickup. no red flags, no ribbons.

came out of the movies at 5pm in kad san kaew. everything was closed down and the building was being evacuated. could not find out why.

a falang couple on a motorbike stopped and told me the same thing happened at airport plaza.

a mate just called me and said there is trouble of some sort at the night market also maybe a curfew (unconfirmed)

came out of the movies at 5pm in kad san kaew. everything was closed down and the building was being evacuated. could not find out why.

a falang couple on a motorbike stopped and told me the same thing happened at airport plaza.

a mate just called me and said there is trouble of some sort at the night market also maybe a curfew (unconfirmed)

My girlfriend was in Kad Suan Kaew today from about 15:00 to 16:30. The closure was planned at 17:00 and all customers were informed about that in advance so I guess the evacuation was not an emergency. This might be due to the situation in BKK.

Curfew is imposed from 8pm till 6am in BKK and all provinces that are in State of Emergency (including CM).

I see some smoke rising from time to time near the buildings around Night Market, might be from the bridge.

I parked up and walked from Riverside to the top of the bridge at 5:15 and then across to Rimping. Hardly saw a policeman. At the top of the bridge there were around 100 people milling around but they didn't really seem part of any demonstration. I pretty much walked through the centre of them. There was something relatively small burning in the middle of the road and a guy with a scarf wrapped around his face walking from the two vandalized (windscreens smashed and tyres let down) fire engines with two bottles of what looked like fuel. He threw one at the junk burning in the road. It didn't really do much. My impression was that just a few well trained police officers would have had the area cleared in no time. Unfortunately there were no police around.

Edited by Loaded

A Thai link to local CM news including this thread right here about the Nawarat Bridge stuff http://www.cm108.com/bbb/29917.html

The most recent post on that site:

17.57 น.

กลุ่มมวล ชน มีการปะทะกับเจ้าหน้าที่ ที่เชิญสะพานนวรัฐ

Translation:

5:57pm

"A group of citizens clashed with officers in the area of the Nawarat Bridge"