Curfew In Chiang Mai & Situation Updates

iainiain101

I cannot imagine being shot on sight for breaking the curfew :D

A great epitaph. Worthy of Bernard Shaw or Oscar Wilde. :D

:) I sincerely hope not, but I have no idea how they are going to enforce the curfew. Buses arriving at the terminal, aircraft landing at the airport etc. Bangkok will be a lot more strict, and they have said that looters and arsonists will be shot :D

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cannot imagine being shot on sight for breaking the curfew :D

A great epitaph. Worthy of Bernard Shaw or Oscar Wilde. :D

:) I sincerely hope not, but I have no idea how they are going to enforce the curfew. Buses arriving at the terminal, aircraft landing at the airport etc. Bangkok will be a lot more strict, and they have said that looters and arsonists will be shot :D

Government spokesman advised, in above situation, carry your passport, ID, and your tickets for travel to be shown at checkpoints. They will assist in such situations. I don't think anyone will be walking to the airport. Might be a bit difficult getting a taxi however.

Most petrol stations are now closed. fill up where u can.

esso station on chiang mai lamphun road (near rajevej hospital) has been ordered by police

to turn off the pumps.

caltex across from holiday inn is still selling fuel.

I still see no SOLID confirmation of a curfue in CM. Facebook just does NOT do it for me.

On the Television stations that break between Ed Carabao's music the Spokemen for the Thai Government both in Thai and English have so far only stated that the curfue is in Bangkok NOT in any of the other provinces under the state of emergency and I'm sure that if it WAS true that they would be specifying that also as they are not THAT stupid.

Correct me if I'm wrong?

banjo-playing-smile.gif

UPDATE:

My wife just this minute phoned Hang Dong police Station.

They confirmed there is no curfew in Chiang Mai, only emergency precautions in force which means, no large group gatherings/meetings and the closing of certain big buildings for safety reasons, in case of bombings etc.

I still see no SOLID confirmation of a curfue in CM. Facebook just does NOT do it for me.

On the Television stations that break between Ed Carabao's music the Spokemen for the Thai Government both in Thai and English have so far only stated that the curfue is in Bangkok NOT in any of the other provinces under the state of emergency and I'm sure that if it WAS true that they would be specifying that also as they are not THAT stupid.

Correct me if I'm wrong?

banjo-playing-smile.gif

YES, there is a curfew in Chiang Mai. (EDIT: get out your DVD's)

Edited by wehugheog

More from cm108.com

19.03 น.

ที่เชิงสะ พานนวรัฐฝั่งตะวันออก หลังจากรถดับเพลิงไฟไหม้แล้ว มวลชนประมาณ 300 คน และเพิ่มขึ้นเรื่อยๆ ได้ขว้างปาก้อนหินใส่เจ้าหน้าที่ และเข้าทำลายป้ายถนน บริเวณใกล้เคียงดังกล่าว

Translation:

7:03pm

Near the Nawarat Bridge, 300 people--with more joining--are throwing rocks at the officers and destroying street signs in the area.

cm108.com

19.09 น.

ที่ข่วงท่าแพ มีมวลชนประมาณ 30 คน นำยางรถยนต์ขึ้นไปบนลาน คาดว่าน่าจะนำมาจุดไฟ ตำรวจได้ประสานทหารเข้าพื้นที่แล้ว

Translation:

7:09pm

At Thapae, a group of about 30 citizens has brought tires onto the square, presumably with the intention of burning them. Police have called the military into the area [note: the original is not entirely clear on what the police are asking of the military]

todays events i saw in pictures.

first off i went past red shirt hq @ about 11 30 and the road through had been closed again

with many people sat under two canopies in the middle of the road who seemed to be either listening to something very loudly or possibly watching a tv ?

pic 1

pic 2 ... food / supplies being taken in

pic 3 ... outside kawilla army barracks @ about 3 pm with new razor wire and two fire engines inside

pic 4 ... the smoke at narrawat bridge @ about 3 15

i went shopping in rimping for two minits

pic 5 ... the first fire engine outside rimping @ about 3 20

pic 6 ... the second ..................................................

pic 7 ... 8 ... police with riot shields in the back @ about 3 20

pic 9 .. 10 .. 11 .. 12 .. 13 ... soldiers on the iron bridge @ about 3 25

pic 14 ... the end of the iron bridge about @ 3 25

pic 15 ... still burning at 5 pm or something else ?

dave2

post-42592-1274271257_thumb.jpg

post-42592-1274271321_thumb.jpg

post-42592-1274271372_thumb.jpg

post-42592-1274271438_thumb.jpg

post-42592-1274271493_thumb.jpg

post-42592-1274271550_thumb.jpg

Just came back from town about 15 mins ago across Nawarat Bridge...no problems at all....but did see black tyre smoke (presumably) from Muang Bridge. Earlier about 4.30 tried to get into town but Charoen Muang road was closed and could see a pile of tyres on fire on the bridge.....traffic was a nightmare! Seems as though a very very small minority of people managed to cause havoc in CM today.

All around the moat was fine at 5.30pm (drove completely around it), apart from being extremely busy.

Would you clarify your post that Central World being destoyed? That is inflamatory language if in fact not true...

That is a massive shopping center of tens if not hundreds of shops and movie threaters...I heard there was a fire there which can mean about anything..

Can someone give a honest assessment if known?

CB

Burning tyres outside McDTapae Gate and on other side (east) of Ping River.

As I understand it there is a curfew after 8pm. As announced by CRES in BKK (for all provinces under state emergency)

Shooting (apparently - did not see) was at railway station this afternoon.

Would you clarify your post that Central World being destoyed? That is inflamatory language if in fact not true...

That is a massive shopping center of tens if not hundreds of shops and movie threaters...I heard there was a fire there which can mean about anything..

Can someone give a honest assessment if known?

Please check the news clippings here Central World Destroyed by Fire. Also, let's keep the discussion to the CM related situation in this topic. Thanks.

The Narawat vandals are dispersing and heading toward the Imperial Mae Ping Hotel and maybe The Night Bazaar. They burned the other fire truck. They trashed a couple of phone booths. Luckily no businesses were touched. There were some Red Shirt leader speaking and the crowd was clapping. It should be cleared up soon. Stay away from The Night Bazaar and The Imperial Mae Ping or I should say that is where the action is moving as there are as many or more people watching the cartoon as participating including many foreigners.

Edited by getgoin

If there is a curfew, it's highly unlikely to be enforced unless the authorities want a serious escalation. I was at Nawarat Bridge this afternoon and the police officers in the traffic booth were chatting with the guys torching the tyres. This is not BKK and the police and soldiers who live here have the common sense to know that any actions taken like those in BKK would have repercussions down the line for their and their families safety. TIT!

First of all Dave2 good pics and thanks for them

You have to take the laughs when you can get them in times like this.

I particularly liked pic 14. The sign posted to lampost on left "Urgen condo for sale".

Methinks there will be more than a few hotels, guest houses, and Loi Kroh bars feeling the pinch over the next few months (I know I am still a master of the bleeding obvious).