Curfew In Chiang Mai & Situation Updates

iainiain101

In view of the current situation, could we have a thread with no political views, just news, sightings and warinings for Chiang Mai.

For instance yesterdays red shirt procession around the moat and onwards. Whether you support it, hate it or just dont care is not the point. It was a potentially volatile situation which I would like to try and avoid with my family.

Obviously there will not be daily updates (I hope), so could this thread, or one set up for the process be pinned by the mods?

Thanks

Iain

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Warden Message - TRAVEL WARNING: THAILAND‏ Monday, May 17, 2010 4:32:15 PM

Travel Warning: Thailand

Travel Warning

United States Department of State

Bureau of Consular Affairs

Washington, DC 20520

THAILAND

May 15, 2010

The Department of State warns U.S. citizens traveling to and residing in Thailand of ongoing political demonstrations and unrest in Bangkok and Chiang Mai. Due to escalating violence in central Bangkok, including gunfire near the U.S. Embassy, demonstrations in Chiang Mai, and other incidents throughout Thailand, U.S. citizens should defer all travel to Bangkok and defer all non-essential travel to the rest of Thailand. The Department of State has authorized the departure of all non-emergency U.S. government personnel and eligible family members from Bangkok. This replaces the Travel Alert dated April 28, 2010, and is in response to updated information on increased violence and security concerns. The Department of State recommends against travel to Bangkok and non-essential travel to Thailand at this time.

Warden Message - TRAVEL WARNING: THAILAND‏ Monday, May 17, 2010 4:32:15 PM

Travel Warning: Thailand

Travel Warning

United States Department of State

Bureau of Consular Affairs

Washington, DC 20520

THAILAND

May 15, 2010

The Department of State warns U.S. citizens traveling to and residing in Thailand of ongoing political demonstrations and unrest in Bangkok and Chiang Mai. Due to escalating violence in central Bangkok, including gunfire near the U.S. Embassy, demonstrations in Chiang Mai, and other incidents throughout Thailand, U.S. citizens should defer all travel to Bangkok and defer all non-essential travel to the rest of Thailand. The Department of State has authorized the departure of all non-emergency U.S. government personnel and eligible family members from Bangkok. This replaces the Travel Alert dated April 28, 2010, and is in response to updated information on increased violence and security concerns. The Department of State recommends against travel to Bangkok and non-essential travel to Thailand at this time.

Dont panic dont panic sh*t panic panic run for the hills..........

demostrations in Chiang Mai?

On my travels today I went to City Hall, and found one sleepy policeman at the gate as I drove in. Apart from the odd barricade, all was normal.

The only part that was not normal, was the road alongside the government offices that heads up to the 700 year stadium. They have increased the height of the barricades and topped them off with razor wire!!

Do they know something we don't?

post-7622-1274093120_thumb.jpg

post-7622-1274093134_thumb.jpg

post-7622-1274093149_thumb.jpg

FYI, The US Embassy in Bangkok has finally gotten a clue and changed their "Town Hall Meeting" to be online this time. This will allow those of us outside of BKK to participate as well.

The announcement and details can be found here:

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/051810townhall_meeting.html

UPDATED: AMERICAN TOWN HALL NOTICE

Due to ongoing security and safety concerns, the Town Hall for American citizens in Thailand scheduled for Tuesday, May 18 at 2:00pm has been re-formatted into a virtual Town Hall meeting to be held on-line. This will allow for a greater number of American citizens residing in Thailand to participate in a discussion with the Ambassador, the Embassy Security Officer and our American Citizens Services Chief.

We regret any inconvenience this may cause but believe this will be a more effective means of reaching the greatest number of people without putting them in harm’s way. The safety of American citizens remains our primary concern.

The virtual Town Hall meeting will be held from 4:00-5:00pm on Tuesday, May 18.

1. To join us go to https://statedept.connectsolutions.com/bangkok

2. Enter as Guest (type your desired screen name)

3. Submit your question

The Ambassador and other key embassy officials will be available to take your questions.

If you are unable to join us, a transcript of the webchat will be made available on our Embassy website at http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/

Questions may be submitted in advance of the Town Hall webchat beginning at 8:00am on the morning of Tuesday, May 18 (Bangkok time). Just enter the site above to submit your question.

-Mestizo

Anyone else lost their True/UBC signal? All of our channels have been out since late afternoon. Normally I'd chalk it up to poor service, but these days I can't help but wonder...

Edited by cm das

Bangkok post article fully quoted and a link has been deleted. Bangkok Post does not allow us to quote or link their articles, only an RSS feed which does not work on a forum as it does not allow commentary.

That said, the link reported two banks had been bombed and BBC is reporting a military bus was burned by Red shirt reporters.

.....ok, this just in, smoke sighted near CM gate, believed to be red shirts burning charcoal in anticipation of grilling chicken.

Burning charcoal and the burning it causes is a far greater threat to my health then any songtaew-driving 'redshirt'

Saying that a little gai yanng, som tam and khao niaw hits the spot when I'm in the mood for a little Udon Thani

Well a friend that lives in Chiang Mai and is headed South on the bus sms'd me that burning tires are blocking the main highway South about 60 km south of Lampang. But hey, the fact that the bus managed to creep by on the verge past the burning tires must mean he is totally overreacting.

Bangkok post article fully quoted and a link has been deleted. Bangkok Post does not allow us to quote or link their articles, only an RSS feed which does not work on a forum as it does not allow commentary.

That said, the link reported two banks had been bombed and BBC is reporting a military bus was burned by Red shirt reporters.

A military bus was burned out last night on the Sangkampang Road. Mrs showed me the pictures from a Thai web site this morning.

Iain

A military bus was burned out last night on the Sangkampang Road. Mrs showed me the pictures from a Thai web site this morning.

Iain

This is what she types into Google to get to this Northern Thai chat site that had photos of the burned out bus.

ข่าวเชียใหม่

She says that the site is blocked a lot. Any of us can translate or explain why it may be blocked?

Could be worse:

nationnews More pic. A hair salon on Luangsuan was damaged ---@tukky_nt: http://bit.ly/dCyTOz

I guess its a civil war when the visa stampers get new bosses? Be easy enough to hide from trouble in Chiang Mai but for the visa runs...tick tock.. over$tay paranoia creeping in. Be very interesting to hear what the US consulate here advises if the kee hits the padlom - (although I dont believe it will up here)

Edited by whiterussian

Could be worse:

nationnews More pic. A hair salon on Luangsuan was damaged ---@tukky_nt: http://bit.ly/dCyTOz

I guess its a civil war when the visa stampers get new bosses? Be easy enough to hide from trouble in Chiang Mai but for the visa runs...tick tock.. over$tay paranoia creeping in. Be very interesting to hear what the US consulate here advises if the kee hits the padlom - (although I dont believe it will up here)

Aw don't say that I'm on the 8am to MaeSai tomorrow :)

Iain

Was this one of the pictures?

17199-2.jpg

Article here but in Thai.

As for ข่าวเชียใหม่ that was used to search, it means financial news. I did a search in Thai for "bus burn chiang mai" (without quotes) and it was on the first page.

Iain

This is what she types into Google to get to this Northern Thai chat site that had photos of the burned out bus.

ข่าวเชียใหม่

She says that the site is blocked a lot. Any of us can translate or explain why it may be blocked?

Add a missing ง and ข่าวเชียงใหม่ = Chiang Mai News

Doi Saket District is a big place.. Doesn't have to refer to the town I guess?

The Chiang Mai Mail has reports of people burning tyres in Doi Saket district this afternoon

You are correct Mr. WTK but a reputable news organization would give a location not a tung in cheek comment.

Doi Saket District is a big place.. Doesn't have to refer to the town I guess?

The Chiang Mai Mail has reports of people burning tyres in Doi Saket district this afternoon

You are correct Mr. WTK but a reputable news organization would give a location not a tung in cheek comment.

Apologies for the delay, I am not on ThaiVisa regularly. Huay Hong Krai according to the police report we received.

It was also announced at the weekly press conference at City Hall this morning that the Army and police will be setting up joint checkpoints around the city starting around 6 PM today.

The Army bus that was torched was parked at a garage for repairs when it was set it on fire.

Edited by ChiangMaiMail