Htc Desire

eyes

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They all over the place. It ranges anywhere from 18xxx to 22xxx..MBK is where you can find them

I waited 2 months for HTC to bring in the official version to Thailand but got fed up as they launched the lss faster Legend. I bought the Desire at 17.200 at MBK. I love it

:)

i thought they might be a lot cheaper in thailand,,JB Hi fi Melbourne has them for $779 AUD , and can get 10% back at airport for gst. not a bad deal then...21000 is about $750 aud.

This is a copy of an e-mail I received from the main HTC vendor in Pattaya about 3 weeks ago:

================================================================================

=======================

Anyone wants detail please PM

Edited by Rimmer
email removed by RIMMER

• 5 weeks later...

Anyone know when the official phone will start to hit stores? I have checked the HTC Thailand site and used Google Translate to read the Desire press release. It says it's being released to stores now as far as I can tell from the garbled translation.

The reason I ask is that I am in Phuket, and I can thus far not find any way to get this phone down here short of the bank transfer mail purchase method sited elsewhere. I figure once the phone gets an official release, the no have squads around town will finally get the phone.

HTC Desire, I have just bought one in Carphone Warehouse, any chip no contract, £400, around 18 to 19xxx bhat at the latest exchange rate

The phone is good, but has tendency to act up when making phone calls - screen goes black and then comes back on movement, and can dial out without you knowing!!!

HTC Desire, I have just bought one in Carphone Warehouse, any chip no contract, £400, around 18 to 19xxx bhat at the latest exchange rate

The phone is good, but has tendency to act up when making phone calls - screen goes black and then comes back on movement, and can dial out without you knowing!!!

Yes indeed sounds like a very good phone. :whistling:

Yes indeed sounds like a very good phone. :whistling:

Thats what I would call a Smart Phone :ph34r:

The Desire has a proximity sensor that automatically turns off the display when you put the phone to your ear. It automatically turns on the display again when you take the phone down.

It doesn't dial "without you knowing" on it's own, but surely, individual apps can dial if you allow them. Every time you install an app that can dial (or do anything else) it will ask you if you will allow this. You have the choice to deny that during installation. But of course it means you need to be awake and read the warning.

The Desire has a proximity sensor that automatically turns off the display when you put the phone to your ear. It automatically turns on the display again when you take the phone down.

You have to admit it comes with a pretty big manual which takes time to get through. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

The phone dials out a number when I have been in a car and going oer a bump, it is sensitive. You can lock the phone during a call and before to stop it running away form you!!!!

With all my gripes the phone is worth every penny and I would not change it for the world. The things it does well, it does very well and there are many. Until you have owned one you cannot appreciate how sophisticated the little device is. Definately the best gadget on the market even with its small faults.

If you think you do not need this phone, you only think this because you do not own it, but if you are computer literate than you want this phone.

Hi,

I read a lot about the HTC Desire and the Google phone Google Nexus one and it seems that the only better point of desire is the camera and the price, cheaper than Nexus one.

But the problem with any HTC phone Android is that they won't update their software (Android) as fast as Google does it on the Nexus one, because it's HTC that decides when to allow update or not, this is why Anddroid 2.2 alias Froyo is not yet available for HTC Desire smartphone but is already available for Nexus one, even bought in Thailand.

Can you confirm ?

I also would like to know if it is possible to disable HTC Sense on HTC phones to be able to update Android as a Gphone Nexus one or iff the Desire will still have to wait that HTC company allows its phones to update ?

Thanks for replies.

But the problem with any HTC phone Android is that they won't update their software (Android) as fast as Google does it on the Nexus one, because it's HTC that decides when to allow update or not, this is why Anddroid 2.2 alias Froyo is not yet available for HTC Desire smartphone but is already available for Nexus one, even bought in Thailand.

It is true that HTC takes a little longer to come out with new releases. Not because they don't allow it but because HTC add their own "value added" additions to Android, i.e. Sense. New Android releases are released to everybody at the same time. Because Nexus don't need to do anything further then can release almost immediately while HTC need to update Sense before they can release it.

I also would like to know if it is possible to disable HTC Sense on HTC phones to be able to update Android as a Gphone Nexus one or iff the Desire will still have to wait that HTC company allows its phones to update ?

You can't "disable" Sense per se but you can install a ROM with a standard Android kernel. This is not straight forward though and has it's own drawbacks. You can check this forum if you want to know more about this.

I got an SE Satio, primary reason I don't want to carry a camera and a phone around with me and I have to say the Satio is quite superb, the 12mp camera and more importantly the proper flash just makes it the best smartphone I have ever owned, it also takes smooth 30fps video has built in GPS and simply has everything I need in a single compact device, I just can't fault it, not saying anything about the HTC desire just simply my experience with the satio, tbh it was the flash that was primary in my choice to get it, it just completely removes the need for a digital camera day or night.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Do you know if the Desire is officially available now with a real warranty ?

When i checked it was only available with what the cheaters at MBK call a software warranty (they only repair, you pay for parts!)

All Google Nexus one at MBK are actually sold with a Cyanogen rom, it means that the phone is unlocked and can't update automatically to new Android versions, and I would like to avoid this with HTC Desire.

Thanks.