Reporting Police Corruption

CrossBones

Anyone know a safe(ish) way of reporting some blatant police corruption? Is there an anonymous place to send a latter to "Mr T", someone once mentioned about an anonymous complaints box for Falangs. Is there something similar where people can complain about corruption?

Thais seem pretty reluctant to speak up or complain about anything. I recall some previous protests in Bangkok resulted in some people getting shot by the police. Im not suggesting we start a protest, but there must be some way to report police corruption and extortion.

Hi,

No nothing personally. I just keep hearing stories of corrupt and illegal behaviour by the Thai police. Some of my friends (who were invited to Thailand with special skills to help Tsunami disaster) were badly man-handled by the police during a supposed "drug raid" which was an attempt to extort money from a club . They have asked their organisation to make some kind of official complaint, amoung other complaints the lady claims to have been groped and made to partially undress in front of a police man.

Could you post an example of what you have been through, and we will put you in touch!

I just keep hearing stories of corrupt and illegal behaviour by the Thai police.
Could you post an example of what you have been through, and we will put you in touch!

Hearing stories?? Post the stories here, they read Thaivisa.com for sure.

I just keep hearing stories of corrupt and illegal behaviour by the Thai police.

Hearing stories?? Post the stories here, they read Thaivisa.com for sure.

haha - well you did remove the "police promoting patpong bars " webcam link!

Perhaps Taksin and his cronies do look here from time to time. There are hundreds (thousands?) of TV pages listed in Google under many keywords.

The most often and obvious corruption that we foreigners face or have experienced is the traffic police. I as well as my foriegn friends all have been stopped one time or other by Thai traffic police.

The first time was about 2 years ago I was driving on Vipalwadi Rangsit Road and I was stopped for unkwon reason. And I was with my Dutch friend and we both cannot understand what the police said. Only understand he said something like go police station. But later he got out some paper or maybe traffic ticket and said have to pay 500 bats. But my Dutch friend offered him 200 as my friend said kin Gafe(drink coffee) to him and he took it and waved us to go.

The second time was at La Prao I was drving with my girlfriend and was stooped my a police for some strange reason as my girlfriend told me he said I changed lane wrong or something like that. And took out the ticket and try to threathen me 1500 bahts fine plus 1000 fine for no international drivers license. But my girlfriend talked to him nicely and I offered him 300 kin gafe again. He accepted it and said be careful next time and waved us to go.

The most recent time was in Hat Yai a few months ago I was driving with another 2 foreign friends and was stoped on a road for maybe for a U-turn but I remember there is no no-u turn sign. We cannot understand what he said really but he said something like pay ticket. But later he started to talk with us and got interested by my friends exotic cigaretts he was smoking that he brought over from vacationing in India. He asked him to give him the pack for souvenir. So we did and he gave us a thumb up to say the cigaretts smell so good or something and wave us to go.

But later he started to talk with us and got interested by my friends exotic cigaretts he was smoking that he brought over from vacationing in India.

Look on the bright side, the jails here are full of people who have been smoking

"exotic cigarettes" sounds like you got off lightly.

I was stopped trying to get from Pattaya to Chiang Mai on my bike at the first toll booth... Policeman came and took my American drivers license and waved me to the side.

Said 2,000 baht fine for riding motorcycle on tollway...

I told him my bike would do 260kph and was really a car with two wheels, and how could I be on a tollway if I hadn't paid a toll... but he didn't buy it.

He did the 'We go police station' routine and since I didn't have any papers for my bike I didn't want to do that. I finally gave him 1,000 and he gave me good directions on the 'legal' route.

Next incident was my parking on the right hand side of a one way street. Cop was waiting for me and said fine 400 baht, but I could give him 200. I politely refused and said I'd never been in a Police Station before, so off we went. The cop took me in and said he liked me, so to only fine me 200 baht. I was in and out in 5 minutes...

Since then I have refused to pay bribes, and once they know I'm willing to go to the police station, and I tell them how sorry I am, they have just given me a warning and let me off.

Bottom Line: Paying bribes just furthers the problem in my opinion.

• Like 1

I consider some of this 'tea money' as a contribution to effective law enforcement. Okay, mabe it's not 'effective,' but it's a contribution to the police force. I've never been stopped for an infraction in driving - 29,900 kilometers so far - and I've probably broken the laws for speeding, weaving in and out, illegal U-turns, etc., more than 600 times. But I'm never without a helmet (easiest way to get a ticket), my plates and insurance are current - are you guys riding big bikes with no plates, or driving Mercedes?

Anyone know a safe(ish) way of reporting some blatant police corruption? Is there an anonymous place to send a latter to "Mr T", someone once mentioned about an anonymous complaints box for Falangs. Is there something similar where people can complain about corruption?

Thais seem pretty reluctant to speak up or complain about anything. I recall some previous protests in  Bangkok resulted in some people getting shot by the police. Im not suggesting we start a protest, but there must be some way to report police corruption and extortion.

It really is not our job to sort Thailand’s problems. We will not be thanked and it will result in us having problems. Everyone in Thailand knows that corruption is endemic and try's to work around it. I do too.

Anyway Thailand has the best police money can buy…….. :o

I'd leave the traffic cops just the way they are. In 4 years of driving in LOS I got pulled over and pinged B200 twice - once for doing 120kmh on the way to Rayong (a blatant lie as I was doing 160) and once for driving in the buses only section of Phetburi Rd. Compare this with driving 100 metres into the Central Zone of London (140 pounds) or parking in Sydney where the meter didn't work ($90). I don't see 'corruption' at this level significantly harming the fabric of society and at least I know exactly where my money is going.

Can't say I really class the 200 baht pay offs for traffic offences corruption. I pay nothing towards the police force in Thailand whilst I used to pay a fortune in tax in the UK.Police here are paid a pathetic amount.

The one difference between the two is UK police corruption normally ends up with jail time for the innocent not extra food on the plate. :o

Can't say I really class the 200 baht pay offs for traffic offences corruption. I pay nothing towards the police force in Thailand whilst I used to pay a fortune in tax in the UK.Police here are paid a pathetic amount.

The one difference between the two is UK police corruption normally ends up with jail time for the innocent not extra food on the plate. :o

Think of it as taxing at the source.

Also what did you do wrong to infer corruption. Did you do something wrong.

Details might help and then persons with experience might be able to assist you.

Are you in the wrong? No offence there but something has happened to you to provoke this enquiry!

Edited by MP5

• 13 years later...

I have had no trouble with the Thai police, always found them polite.  I got stopped going the wrong way down a one way street, I just said I didn't see the sign, the cop asked where you from? I said England, he said Manchester City gave me thumbs up and a salute and waved me across the road.  Then stopped a Thai kid on a motor bike who was behind me!  Christmas and New year been stopped several times, once the cop asked my Thai wife, had I been drinking?  She said just coke.  I NEVER drink and drive.  If I have even a small beer, my wife always drives.  When I go out for a drink I always get a taxi or tuk-tuk, they are cheap, so no problem.

Edited by Thaimike370
added a sentance.

Here is a corruption hotline and Line ID: "PACC chief Prayong Preeyajit told The Nation that the centre has opened with a 24-hour hotline (09 2668 0777) and Line ID (FD.PACC)"  http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Bribery-hotline-for-foreign-investors-30273474.html  There is Leuk Krueng (my transliteration) Lt Pol Col in charge of foreign relations at the Public Sector Anti Corruption Commission whom I know and believe to be honest, but I suspect he wouldn't want me to post his personal detail here.

When you talk candidly with government anti-corruption officials (and forget about the NACC because they are thoroughly politicized), they will admit they are overwhelmed and cannot honestly investigate anyone who is well connected.  Remember the police general they sent to Southern Thailand to investigate human trafficking?  He fled to Australia and sought political asylum.  

In the long run I think Thailand will improve because younger and better educated Thais are sick of this crap, but over the last four years it has been four giant steps backwards.