Liqour Laws

anotheruser

Has Thailand changed it's retarded liqour laws to allow booze to be sold after midnight again? I was in Pattaya and at 1 am managed to buy from a 7-11. Normally they tie the doors shut after 12. This was in a main tourist area where in my experience enforcement is usually stronger than out in the burbs.

same, 11-2 , 5-12, just depends if your lucky with the shop, generaly mom n pop stores anytime, kinda good in a way as gives back some of the business they lost to the corporate influx, just a bit annoying when doing a big shop in tescos and cant get a box in at a reasonable hour

^An odd thing happened to me in Makro, Pattaya.

They wouldn't allow me to buy 1 box of beer before 11am BUT they WOULD allow me to buy 2 boxes!!

TIT

Because it is more than 10 Liters. 10 Liters and above is considered wholesale use for business so they are exempt from the time restrictions.

It was a loophole put in place so restaurants and bars would be able restock before legal sale times.

^An odd thing happened to me in Makro, Pattaya.

They wouldn't allow me to buy 1 box of beer before 11am BUT they WOULD allow me to buy 2 boxes!!

TIT

Because it is more than 10 Liters. 10 Liters and above is considered wholesale use for business so they are exempt from the time restrictions.

It was a loophole put in place so restaurants and bars would be able restock before legal sale times.

Well I wish that they'd have told me that in Carrefour when I was trying to buy beer there before 11am!

The crazy thing in Carrefour was the signs saying that you're not allowed to buy more than 5 bottles of beer maximum.

But you could buy a 6 pack, but there was a restriction that you can only buy 5 X 6 packs maximum.

And there was a restriction that you can only buy 5 cases maximum.

So, I'm not allowed to buy 6 individual bottles of beer but I CAN buy 120 bottles if they're in cases.

TIT

I go to the two biggest Thai suppliers on Phuket and buy a case of my favorite brand, which they've both been out of for more than a month, any time in the afternoon. All the restaurant and bar owners buy there in the afternoons too. But I can't buy a thing at Tesco or the rest of the foreign owned large markets in the afternoon, unless it's over 10 liters. Plus the price at the Thai places are much cheaper! Thailand is for Thai's, always remember that!

I go to the two biggest Thai suppliers on Phuket and buy a case of my favorite brand, which they've both been out of for more than a month, any time in the afternoon. All the restaurant and bar owners buy there in the afternoons too. But I can't buy a thing at Tesco or the rest of the foreign owned large markets in the afternoon, unless it's over 10 liters. Plus the price at the Thai places are much cheaper! Thailand is for Thai's, always remember that!

And it's also for farang with a hint of common sense.

Its not what you know its who you know. TIT. All laws are made to be broken. :)

True, to some extent. But I have to know something in order to meet someone who has more connections and influence than I do. I don't know why, but the old saying: stupid is as stupid does, comes to mind. I am not commenting on you, as I agree with your basic premise. I always used to say, if you don't ask, you won't get what you want... Information is the key! Assuming makes an ass of you and me... ASS U ME! ASSUME!! My mini rant, sorry!

Best wishes, Jimi