Do I Need An Onward Ticket?

A quick question. I've just booked a single ticket to Bkk and after doing so remembered that in the past some people have experienced problems upon arrival at immigration because they don't have any proof of onward travel. Does this still apply, and if so, how strict are they? Thanks

You should be OK if you have any kind of visa. If not, yes, definitely buy an onward ticket that leaves within 30 days (assuming you are eligible by nationality for a 30 day stamp). The problem indeed is on boarding the airplane going to Thailand. Even with the onward air ticket, you STILL might be challenged at check in (but usually it will be OK).

Edited by Jingthing

this happened to me when i returned to thailand at heathrow airport, whislt checking in with emirates.

problem solved easily, was instructed to buy an onward ticket( i think i got it going to hong-kong). payed my money, boarded the plane. once i got to bkk, took a little trip to the airlines head office on asoke and got a full refund. no problem!

this happened to me when i returned to thailand at heathrow airport, whislt checking in with emirates.

problem solved easily, was instructed to buy an onward ticket( i think i got it going to hong-kong). payed my money, boarded the plane. once i got to bkk, took a little trip to the airlines head office on asoke and got a full refund. no problem!

Which airline provides a FULL REFUND. That'd be real handy info to have in hand!

Mac

My past experience has shown it depends on the airline, check-in staff and immigration staff at the airport. I have had non- immigrant visa's and tourist visa's. With the non-immigrant visa, I have never been asked by the immigration staff for proof of leaving Thailand. Last month I flew Thai Air, with a one-way ticket to Bangkok. I was not asked to show proof of a departure ticket, and did not have a visa at the time. On other occasions I have been asked if I have a departure ticket, but did not have to show it. Its a definite toss-up. Another factor might be the originating country you fly from. The immigration rules state you must be able to show proof of a departure ticket, not that you will be asked to show it.

Buy a departing ticket...you will be leaving at some point anyway, right? Then no worries.

Which airline provides a FULL REFUND. That'd be real handy info to have in hand!

Mac

emirates, check in terminal 3 and outside they have their own little porta cabin office that sells tickets. mind you that was some 2 years back now. so i dont know if the layout of the airport has changed that much.

Mac

emirates, check in terminal 3 and outside they have their own little porta cabin office that sells tickets. mind you that was some 2 years back now. so i dont know if the layout of the airport has changed that much.

Tigerfish

Thanks, I note the following from their www site:

Can I get a refund if I cancel my online booking?

You may receive a refund on an online booking only if allowed by the fare conditions of the booking. We will refund the credit card used to purchase the ticket. However, there may be a cancellation penalty, which will be deducted from the refund. Please be sure to check the fare conditions before making a purchase. You may make a refund request for your online eTicket booking through our online refund request form

How can I get a refund on an unused or partially unused ticket?

To get a refund on a ticket you have paid for but not used, present your ticket or your electronic ticket reference number at your local Emirates office. If your ticket was bought online, the refund can only be credited to the card used to make the purchase. You may make a refund request for your online eTicket booking through our online refund request form. Refunds are issued in accordance with fare conditions.

Mac

You don't say where your flying in from. I've flown from the US to BKK and CNX with a one way ticket no problem. As recently as last year. Never been asked for anything beyond my passport. YMMV, always a good idea to check with the airline if your not sure.

cr

Quite correct about the possible problem with airline check in staff.

Quite often they are totally clueless.

Last time I departed the UK, was with a three month return ticket to Manila, flying with KLM. The UK check in staff were taking a long time mumbling and looking in one of their procedural folders. After about five minutes I realised there was a problem and informed them that I had an onward ticket from the Philippines after ten days.

Problem solved, they did not even check my onward ticket.

I know that I can get 21 days on arrival in PI, then extend it by a further 38 days by visiting an immigration office (and then extend..), but they didn't.

Might have been problems if I had been planning a longer stay in PI...

If the tourist visa and visa (O) will be issued in Germany, since december 2009 then you must also submit a copy of the return flight ticket or a ticket to leave Thailand!

Since december 2009 you will also need a copy of your passport!