Phuket Film Festival To Take World Stage

scott_cos

Ladies and Gentlemen, take your seats at Phuket's newest cultural and sanook activity!

Just back from 5 days on the island where the excitement is growing for the Festival to begin. Organizers really feel good about having various events all over the island, thus having Festival VIP directors/producers get a "taste" for all the island has to offer.

But now, we need your help. Please support the Festival and attend movies and events. Tickets are available at the Coliseum Cineplex in Phuket Town. We know, parking sucks but if you are a bit diligent, it is available.

Any questions, please call the Festival HOT Line 081 - 722 - 4461

Lets truly make this year's Festival a sustainable base for years to come.

I'll have to pass as I've heard you've refused a number of really good films shot in Thailand with Thai actors in order to make room for international films.

Interesting. Who did you hear that from and what movies are those becasue it is absolutely untrue.

What I have said, since the organizing company AMW International Co. Ltd. works closely with the Thailand Film Office, we have to be careful about films accepted into the Festival that have not been properly filmed in Thailand, that is those which have not had permits in place from the Thailand Film Office. Of course this holds only for those films which are international productions.

However, many foreign individuals are hiding behind Thai companies to skip the official registration process.

All that being said, the Festival considers all films that are submitted - case in point, last year, the movie Wild Chaba was shot on Phuket by British director Darren Hill and Thai director Nurdia Mareh. The movie was not "sanctioned" by the Thailand Film Office because of the very reason you mentioned, it had Thai crew and Thai Actors. However it should have been since it was produced with money from Darren.

Anyway, we accepted the film as our closing film. Unfortunately the 2009 Festival was canceled.

Darren contacted us this year (rather late on April 5th - but within film submission deadline) and asked if we would accept the film. We said yes, but please send a screener as we had not seen the film. No screener ever arrived and subsequent emails to Darren were not answered.

So please, before spreading untrue rumors, research your premise.

Thanks

PS "Refused a number of films...." excuse me but we have accepted all films this year "Made in Thailand" that were presented to us. Ask producer Tom Waller whose "The Prince and Me 4: The Elephant Adventure" is one of our event films that screens at The Green Man.

Edited by scott_cos

So how about a schedule and listing ??

Yes, thank you for calling us on that. Some of times are already listed on our website www.phuketfilmfestival.asia - under the "film" tab however, it is incomplete.

We promise by the end of today (Tuesday, May 18) all films and locations will be listed so check on our site, please.

Also by beginning of next week, thanks to Simone Allene, Jason Beavan and others, we will have fliers with film schedules in tourist stands and other places around the island.