Hua Hin Municipal Water

PETERTHEEATER

Does anyone know what the hardness level of the HH municipal water supply is?(particularly the tanker truck delivery).

If a specific figure cannot be provided, would current users rate it as soft, medium or hard.

Hardness is a factor when setting up a fresh water aquarium and of course the daily laundry!

Peter, I cant answer your question about water hardness as I doubt even the people at the water company would know.

However regarding aquariums, I have several here and have had no problems with the water. It all depends on your fish, most of them are pretty hardy and unless you are keeping Discus will survive in regular tap water with no treatment (even the Discus are okay, just need a little extra TLC). pH is more of a concern to sensitive species but this is also tolerable in Hua Hin water.

Peter, I cant answer your question about water hardness as I doubt even the people at the water company would know.

However regarding aquariums, I have several here and have had no problems with the water. It all depends on your fish, most of them are pretty hardy and unless you are keeping Discus will survive in regular tap water with no treatment (even the Discus are okay, just need a little extra TLC). pH is more of a concern to sensitive species but this is also tolerable in Hua Hin water.

Thanks Buksida, I've got the ph (acididity) covered but anticipate the water will be moderate to hard bearing in mind the limestone strata around the likely collection points. I'm not interested in keping KOI carp (they always look like they have been swimming in boiling water!) just regular freshies. It's encouraging to hear that you are not having significant problems with aquaria so I will look forward to setting up when I move to HH in SEP 05. Have you tried marines yet?

No, havent tried marines, just too much hassle with the setup and maintenance. I'm a scuba diver so I can go and see the marines at anytime :o

My main tank is home to a large Oscar that pretty much demolishes anything else that goes in there! I also have an Angelfish (called Pla Tevadah in Thai) aquarium. The great thing in Hua Hin is that there is a local market on Thursdays and Sundays with two tropical fish vendors that have all the fish, tanks and accessories.

You may be interested in this, a new aquarium for tourists in Prachuab:

http://www.huahinafterdark.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1594

Edited by buksida

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

When I first moved to Hua Hin I used tap-water to fill our aquarium and the poor sods died within 2 days.

The water quality varies, sometimes what comes out of the tap stinks.

One thing for sure, Dont Drink It From The Tap.

Buy water in the large plastic containers and even then its not always what it should be.

I only drink bottled water.

Mike.