Thaksin Calls For Political Dialogue, Denies Involvement In Mayhem

webfact

DENYING INVOLVEMENT IN MAYHEM

Thaksin calling for political dialogue

By The Nation

Ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra has called for "a new political dialogue that is fair and equal before the law for all Thai citizens" in order to move passed the anger and outrage.

Thaksin issued his statement in a press release of the law firm Amsterdam and Peroff distributed by PRNewswire in Hong Kong on Thursday.

"Today Thailand is mourning. I join all Thai patriots in their immediate call for calm, order and non-violence, and fully condemn the actions of those who acted with opportunism and impunity to cause reckless damage to Bangkok, which is completely alien to the cause of the protest movement," he said in the statement.

He blamed "state violence and human rights abuses" for the loss of life.

He was critical of the government for using the term "terrorism" against the red-shirt leaders. He also voiced concern for political persecution.

He denied his involvement with "any illegal or violent activities in the Kingdom of Thailand".

"I fully reject the allegations which underscore the fact that this heroic and inspiring grassroots movement is autonomous and independent from myself," he said, calling for:

"All sides to take a step back and consider the possibility of the political solutions and not to fall victim to the provocations from those who benefit from Thailand falling into lawlessness."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-05-21

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He also added that in the same PR:

He denied his involvement with "any illegal or violent activities in the Kingdom of Thailand".

"I fully reject the allegations� which underscore the fact that this heroic and inspiring grassroots movement is autonomous and independent from myself," he said

Brave as always.

Any Thai or Mossad agent to chuck the coward a M79 in Paris' Louis Vuitton shop?

Edited by xtof2

Standard Thaksin playbook. Cause havoc and death anbd mayhem. Deny involvement. Call for forgiving him so it doesnt happen again. Whne he doesnt get his way more and worse violence.

Red leaders already admitted getting money form him and now reportedly Veera has admitted he advised them. As red leaders called for Arson attacks there is enough to exclude him from anything. Thaksin is part of the problem and not part of the solution.

As Thitinan in the Guardian said Thaksin needs to make a sacrifice by withdrawing from the red movement. It seems small chance of that which in turn is going to tie the governments hand too. Interesting to see Thaksin has made the first move to put him center stage in what comes next - no surprise there. At what point though will the red movement or at least part of it really move beyond Thaksin rather than just talk about in press conferences while actually keeping himn center ot every speech they make and taking the money from him and his minions

Edited to add: it also plays to the meme his spin doctor will try to create internationally. If the government can show a financial trail to the reds then they can ask for extradition for terrorism now. Thaksin is being deliberately divisive with his desccribing a movement whose leaders called for mass arson heroic.

Edited by hammered

"Today Thailand is mourning. I join all Thai patriots in their immediate call for calm, order and non-violence, and fully condemn the actions of those who acted with opportunism and impunity to cause reckless damage to Bangkok, which is completely alien to the cause of the protest movement," he said in the statement.

'Course it is.

/edit - nice shirt Nattawut is wearing. Where can I buy one (and live)?

Edited by Insight

Thaksin and his paid henchmen just do not get the message it seems.

The problems are caused by ThaksinS financing of the civil strife and his phone in rhetoric inciting people to break the law and promising them financial rewards in his attempt to become Thailand dictator.

Terrorism charges must be brought against the Sino Thai Kleptomaniac Thaksin and his so called legal advisers (leeches) who are doing nothing more than perverting the course of justice and continuing inciting civil strife all for a fat fee at the expense of the ordinary Thai.

Thaksins true statement should read as below

He blamed "state violence and human rights abuses" for the loss of life.

He (Thaksin) blamed "Red Shirt and his (Thaksin) financing of the civil unrest and his(Thaksin) human rights abuses when he was in power" for the loss of life, arson attacks and wholesale looting.

Edited by siampolee

At what point though will the red movement or at least part of it really move beyond Thaksin
I think when his money stops funding the movement. Who else could have funded these protests that no doubt would have cost many millions (or billions?) of baht?

As Thitinan in the Guardian said Thaksin needs to make a sacrifice by withdrawing from the red movement.

If that happens there really aren't any public policy problems that couldn't start being solved immediately

Paris tries to gag Thaksin

By Agencies, The Nation

France said Thursday it would try to prevent ex-Thai premier Thaksin Shinawatra from speaking out on the political crisis in his homeland while he is on its territory.

"Under the context of violence in Thailand," France has "told Thaksin, whose stay was strictly private in France, that he should refrain from any public expression or statement during his stay on our territory," ministry spokesman Bernard Valero said in a press briefing.

French authorities say any high-level exposure of Thaksin was inappropriate against the background that his supporters, the "Red Shirt" army, were fighting with Thai national security forces.

Thaksin was seen shopping at a Louis Vuitton shop in Paris on May 15 and even expressed willingness to participate in an evening discussion with French journalists on May 31.

Thaksin is believed to travel under Montenegro passport and under new name as Thai government revoked his diplomatic passport.

A little-known foreign policy think tank has issued an invitation to journalists to meet Thaksin on Monday next week at a press dinner in Paris to discuss the chaotic events of recent weeks.

Organisers confirmed that the event organised by the Centre of Political and Foreign Affairs was still expected to go ahead, but added that the fugitive former Thai leader had temporarily left Paris for London.

Thaksin was ousted in a bloodless military coup in 2006 and lives in self-imposed exile, mainly in Dubai, to avoid a jail term for corruption.

Many of the "Red Shirt" protesters who have been demonstrating in Bangkok want the former premier to return, and the current government has accused him of bankrolling the protests and inciting unrest from overseas.

Thaksin has denied this in written statements and calls to radio stations but has not recently made a major public appearance, and reports suggest that Thai authorities would be angered if he were to enjoy a platform in France.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-05-21

I guess if the Gov can make a terrorism charge stick with irrefutable evidence it might lead to an international arrest warrant through Interpol. (evidence additional to the statements from Verra and SD that is)

It is a reminder that Thaksin, sitting in his room with the shades drawn , may think there is still a chance to win if he can do this and that and maybe ,maybe. He is a obsessed guy who has just torn up millions. If rumours are true , he could expect a call from Boris any day soon.

If any of you have the time or interest you might dig through the interview below with Thaksin while he was still in charge in Thailand, in the Q&A section he is asked about Asian democracy and he states Democracy is what you make it ,that China and Vietnams systems might be better suited to Asians than other styles and he says you do what you need to do to stay in power and keep the masses happy.

http://www.cfr.org/publication/11482/conve...ervice_inc.html

I assure you that during his historic upcoming trial, he will blink like the way he does in my avatar when they play him back his incriminating phone conversations/emails/video feeds made abroad, intercepted and handed over to the Thai govt by foreign authorities. :D

The idiot always thought he was a made man abroad :) when he's mostly perceived as just another Marcos or Asian thug.

I just want the pleasure of seeing him handcuffs in an airport somewhere since pissing on his grave someday will be practically impossible.

hold on, I thought he is denied entry to England? They refused him before. Could be more hearsay that he's on his way to London, we'll have to wait and see where he rears his ugly head next.

agreed, i dont think he would be allowed in, besides, that statement came from the (red) organisers

difficult times, i dont envy those that have to follow this up. how to ensure a fair outcome without bias?

indeed, there will always be a group which will feel that justice hasnt been dealt fairly and the divide will run deeper

forces.

Thaksin was seen shopping at a Louis Vuitton shop in Paris on May 15 and even expressed willingness to participate in an evening discussion with French journalists on May 31.

Organisers confirmed that the event organised by the Centre of Political and Foreign Affairs was still expected to go ahead, but added that the fugitive former Thai leader had temporarily left Paris for London.

So all the recent Pravda articles that Thaksin is dead were wrong then?

And how can he go to London, given that his UK visa was revoked?

a few red shirt leaders will (may) roll over on Mr T and then this may go towards securing terrorist charges against him.

Once this is done then perhaps normality may return.

But as the old lady in the video clip said we (the reds) will rise up again.

Edited by BlackJack

I assure you that during his historic upcoming trial, he will blink like the way he does in my avatar when they play him back his incriminating phone conversations/emails/video feeds made abroad, intercepted and handed over to the Thai govt by foreign authorities. :D

The idiot always thought he was a made man abroad :) when he's mostly perceived as just another Marcos or Asian thug.

I just want the pleasure of seeing him handcuffs in an airport somewhere since pissing on his grave someday will be practically impossible.

Those intercepted conversations and emails would make for interesting reading. Seemed reactions began to change on the govt / army side when the US made them aware of what they had- it woke a few people up, i think.

Edited by Netfan

In the past, the French welcomed Khomeny, Bokassa, Duvalier, Marcos, Mobutu +++ just to mention a few of "la-creme-de-la-creme" ex-rulers!

As a contemporary Tsar "le petit nicolas"'s Thasksin acceptance doesn't surprise me at all... :)

Takkie Shinegera , he has a new passport in different names if the gossip is true , he has one from Montenegro as a citizen which gives him EU access.

dont know how he could fly his one plane there , surely thats in the database,

If Thaksin wants to be a good law abiding citizen, then he should come home and serve his prison sentence.

He was sentenced by a group of nine unbiased judges, duly sworn in by the King and as such their verdict is by the laws of the land........

Paris tries to gag Thaksin

By Agencies, The Nation

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-05-21

When they write "By agencies" does that mean that the journalist sits down at his computer in Bangkok, takes 20 stories from the agencies, mash them all together and make a story.

I don't believe 80% of this article.

I guess if the Gov can make a terrorism charge stick with irrefutable evidence it might lead to an international arrest warrant through Interpol. (evidence additional to the statements from Verra and SD that is)

It is a reminder that Thaksin, sitting in his room with the shades drawn , may think there is still a chance to win if he can do this and that and maybe ,maybe. He is a obsessed guy who has just torn up millions. If rumours are true , he could expect a call from Boris any day soon.

If any of you have the time or interest you might dig through the interview below with Thaksin while he was still in charge in Thailand, in the Q&A section he is asked about Asian democracy and he states Democracy is what you make it ,that China and Vietnams systems might be better suited to Asians than other styles and he says you do what you need to do to stay in power and keep the masses happy.

http://www.cfr.org/publication/11482/conve...ervice_inc.html

Thanks for good post.

For those that want to read the PR spin coming out of Thaksin's law office at Amsterdam and Peroff: http://chicagopressrelease.com/press-relea...is#comment-7797

And for those that really want to understand what is going in Thailand...read this professional letter to CNN International criticizing their reporting and providing many links and clips to provide clear understanding.

http://www.thailandqa.com/forum/showthread.php?p=215387

International wheels of justice turn really slowly. BUT they do turn, eventually, in most cases. Look at cases against the Khmer Rouge, even Nazi guards. If there is any satisfaction in the fact that Thaksin will never be able to have a good night's sleep , and likely has not had a good night's sleep in the last few years, then it's small justice served already.

Now, Thaksin, please stay away from my home countries, get out of Europe, go to a little island somewhere and stop making noises. You are a thug, a criminal, a dictator, a liar.

And you are represented by a "Canadian' (oh what shame!) "human rights" lawyer? What a farce. I don't know why the world has to have such evil characters running around when most of us are just trying to find a way to be a friendly face on this planet.

Shame, shame, shame on him, his disgusting family (shopping while people bleed to death for his cause), and shame on those who facilitate this awful behaviour.

Are you scared Mr. Thaksin to admit to creating these problems in Thailand. You should be charged with Terrorism and get the full punishment allowed in civilized world equal to what OBL should and eventually will get

of course he denies it, like everything else he's done. best choice for him would be to not comment on it at all. i think he starts to forget all of the things he said on video.

He claims no involvement so why should he be listened to? He's not involved so he should butt out of Thailand internal affairs.

hold on, I thought he is denied entry to England? They refused him before. Could be more hearsay that he's on his way to London, we'll have to wait and see where he rears his ugly head next.

He left Paris for London, then to Kent to try to enlist more morons to burn down other shopping centres in town, chitlom, emporium,mbk etc. are still standing but.......

of course he denies it, like everything else he's done. best choice for him would be to not comment on it at all. i think he starts to forget all of the things he said on video.

He claims no involvement so why should he be listened to? He's not involved so he should butt out of Thailand internal affairs.

Reality is touching him on the shoulder.

His attempt to distance himself from recent events illustrates that he is scared.

If I were in his shoes, I would be scared too. :)

He left Paris for London, then to Kent to try to enlist more morons to burn down other shopping centres in town, chitlom, emporium,mbk etc. are still standing but.......

:) sick but funny. I thought he'd goto manchester city, but a little late for that!