Latest Psp Firmware Apparently Cracked

bangbuathong

Indianapolis (IN) - A video file released to a Web site for PlayStation Portable independent developers, appears to show an independently developed "Hello, World" test application running from memory stick, on a newer model PSP with firmware version 1.5.

Security provisions built into v. 1.5 by its manufacturer, Sony, are supposed to thwart the ability of the system to execute unencrypted binaries from its Memory Stick PRO Duo, as opposed to its local UMD small-size optical disc. If the video is indeed accurate, a small but devoted group of system crackers may be one step closer to their goal of devising an underground distribution system for cracked games.

see full aticle at toms hardware

Should I be wishing I hadn't upgraded to the current 1.52 version of the O/S?

Anyway - I don't really want to play cracked PSP games. At least for the time being - the memory sticks are too expensive to make that a reasonable proposition. Mame would be something else though - the arcade machine roms from 20-25 years ago are easily small enough.

Anyone know a cheap place in Thailand to buy one for my daughter's birthday next week? - Got my own one in Singapore (S$445 - about 10,700 baht), but asked at the Emporium today and they said 25,000, so I not only decided not to buy, but to avoid shopping at the toy store there any more if that's an example of how competitive their pricing is...

Edited by bkk_mike

I posted several months ago about the cheapest PSP offer I found was at Pantip for around 10,000 for just the PSP. One of the guys who sells XBOX, PS2 games at MBK said that cracked PSP games should start coming in 3 months, I spoke to him about a month ago so only a couple months left according to him. As far as the accuracy of his information, I cannot vouch for... but I can for the cheaper PSP's at Pantip from the lady with the brithmark on her face. Alas, prices might have changed since then. I am back in the states now so I regrettably cant be of any help anymore. Good luck Mike!

Lovely. The 'swaploit' works a treat, have snes, gb, genesis and pc-engine running on my psp here. Also Doom :o

What a lovely bit of kit this is...

yes it's great to play these classics on the PSP... as the emulators get more mature they will no doubt get faster and be able to emulate more roms... only today a new SNES emulator was released that can emulate my favourite SNES game... Super Metroid! Bliss!

Now I have a reason to get that 1Gb MS Duo!

Got one at MBK.

Value pack (i.e. PSP, soft case, memory card) - for 9,900 - 12,000 with a game.

i.e. Since the official price in the UK when it's released there in September is supposed to be £179.99 for the value pack - it's already cheaper to buy it here - with a game.

Was careful to check for dead pixels before I bought it...

Are these PSP console sold in bangkok from USA or Japan? I read on some messageboard that some user who use imported console from japan have problem with language setting while playing games, they cannot change the language into english.

Besides, will these console be able to play games released for ASIA in the future or is the region coding just for UMD movies?

Are these PSP console sold in bangkok from USA or Japan? I read on some messageboard that some user  who use imported console from japan  have problem with language setting while playing games, they cannot change the language into english.

Generally the Japanese ones - but my existing one was also Japanese.

I had no issues switching it to English. Admittedly, I don't have many games yet - but so far I've had no problems.

Maybe if you're still on v1.00 of the O/S - but both mine were already on 1.5 (the version of the O/S released in the US). However, there are reasons for staying on v1.00 if you can (working emulators for old consoles), where the newer firmware closed the holes that allowed emulators to be run from the memory card.

Besides, will these console be able to play games released for ASIA in the future or is the region coding just for UMD movies?

So far - region encoding is just for movies - US games play on Japanese PSPs and vice-versa, and since Japan is Region 2 (like the UK), I've no issues with having a Japanese PSP. The UMD movies are definitely region-encoded just like DVDs.

Anyway, I don't really intend to buy movies on UMD anyway. (It's easy enough with DVD Decrypter (rip DVD to hard drive), Auto GK (Convert DVD to MPEG4 file using Xvid) and PSP video 9 (downsize to PSP format) - all downloadable for free - to put DVDs onto a memory card to watch. -At the moment, you have to save files at 368*208 (16:9) or 320*240 (QVGA) as it WON'T play if they're at the full 480*272 resolution - but I'm sure someone will figure out a workaround for that sometime...)

I found out more information regarding games unable to play in english etc. The reason is if the games are designed for japanese language even if the PSP is set in English, the games will still be in japanese.

Just a question, could you please tell me whether they accept credit card at MBK or pantip where they sold PSP? This is because I want to buy with points earned from my credit card, i already have around 50000 points which is worth about 10000 bath.

regards,

Just a question, could you please tell me whether they accept credit card at MBK or pantip where they sold PSP? This is because I want to buy with points earned from my credit card, i already have around 50000 points which is worth about 10000 bath.

Didn't even try to use a credit card, mainly because the small shops in MBK that are selling it are, like Pantip, generally the sort of place which is on such low margins that they charge a %ge if you use a credit card.

I know that Amex in the UK is offering PSPs for 60,000 points. But that's direct from Amex - not sure how you would intend to use points at a shop in MBK...

Well simple, my bank will give them the money while deducting points from my credit card. Every dollar I spent on my card earned 3 points and 150 points is equal to one dollar. I just cant get Cash instead of points earned, I need to spend using credit card. I'm going to check out MBK tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Over the past few days those clever crackers have figured out a way to dump the UMDs to the memory stick AND PLAY THEM DIRECT FROM THE STICK

I can guarantee this works as I DL'd Coded Arms last night and am now playing it from MS. You just need to have Twisted metal in the drive. It seems a lot of games work fine with Twisted Metal

Am glad I did not buy Coded Arms BTW as it is pretty boring for a first person shooter. The controls work well and it looks nice, but having randomly generated levels kills the atmosphere and it all gets repetitive quickly