Thai Red Shirts Welcomed Home From Deadly Rallies

webfact

Thai 'Red Shirts' welcomed home from deadly rallies

CHIANG MAI (AFP) -- Emotional "Red Shirt" supporters gathered at a train station in northern Thailand on Friday, waving flags to welcome about 300 members of the movement dispersed from Bangkok.

As they waited for the train to pull into Chiang Mai railway station, the 100-strong crowd chanted loudly, continuing the protesting spirit of the anti-government rallies that paralysed parts of the Thai capital for two months.

"We did not lose. This is not a retreat," said Hoowit Kunasawat, a 49-year-old artist, one of those greeted with cheers and applause for their attempt to oust premier Abhisit Vejjajiva's government.

At least 83 people were killed in clashes and blasts while some 1,800 were injured in "Red Shirt" street rallies that began in mid-March and ended Wednesday when troops ousted demonstrators from their downtown encampment.

Tears rolled down the faces of many in the Chiang Mai crowd as they hugged loved ones who had returned safely from weeks of demonstrations, but many expressed anger that troops had shot at protesters in their crackdown.

"I am sad that the government can order the shooting of civilians. But at the same time, the people and the world now know what kind of cruel government is in power in Thailand," said 35-year-old Noi Jupp.

"My heart is with the Red Shirt supporters. They are poor people. What we are fighting for is justice. This is why my heart is with them," she added.

Outside the train station under a tree, farmer Nut Jangakat, 38, said that despite being pushed from Bangkok by Wednesday's overwhelming military operation, he would not give up the campaign against Abhisit's administration.

"I am waiting for instructions from my leaders. I am not giving up. For now I will go home and back to my paddy field. With every one Red Shirt killed we believe a million supporters will emerge," he said.

"I am always ready to return to Bangkok to protest."

afplogo.jpg

-- ©Copyright AFP 2010-05-21

Published with written approval from AFP.

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome home to the terrorists and arsonists. They claimed they wanted early elections. They won them, then threw it away. Then they burned Bangkok. Good job reds!

Nothing like tarring them all with the same brush for the actions of a sad misguided few who hopefully will pay for their dreadful actions.

Nevertheless,looks like they are going to get those elections in the not too distant future.

Welcome home to the terrorists and arsonists. They claimed they wanted early elections. They won them, then threw it away. Then they burned Bangkok. Good job reds!

Nothing like tarring them all with the same brush for the actions of a sad misguided few who hopefully will pay for their dreadful actions.

Nevertheless,looks like they are going to get those elections in the not too distant future.

yep 18 months

I believe the world does not think these people are peaceful protesters after seeing the images of the damage done to bangkok.

It is sad to see that these protesters still think they have not committed any crimes, and on top of that many don't even condemn the actions of the black guards and rioters. Some of these people must have really been brainwashed to think its ok to burn government buildings, hotels, news channels, etc.

What I am afraid to see is the home grown terrorist and extremist that might start bombing bangkok randomly.

Sad to say, but Thailand must make new ground rules for "protests" and they need to be followed by all factions. The country can not afford a repeat of this current red disaster. For example, strict limits on location permits, times of permits (no ENDLESS occupations!), activities, etc. Obviously, peaceful protests are a wonderful thing for democracy, but even at the hint of an escalation out of that, tolerance should be zero. There is no hope at all for progress towards democracy only through peaceful elections until the game of using violent protests to gain demands is completely eliminated, again, for ALL sides. If this doesn't sound totally "free" well, it isn't. Face reality, Thailand isn't ready for totally free, totally free has proven to mean TOTAL ANARCHY here.

Edited by Jingthing

I like this sentence:

"I am sad that the government can order the shooting of civilians. But at the same time, the people and the world now know what kind of cruel government is in power in Thailand," said 35-year-old Noi Jupp.

With all the info you could read or watch it must be clear that the troops behaved with remarkable restrain. Of course there are deaths (on both sides), but far less than any really 'cruel' government would manage to rake up. The myth of 'bare-handed, innocent, lovable protesters' will not die in Isan for a long time. Propaganda of UDD leaders on PTV have done their damage.

From a taxpayer who generously payed bus-tickets to get these misguided people safely home.

I like this sentence:

With all the info you could read or watch it must be clear that the troops behaved with remarkable restrain. Of course there are deaths (on both sides), but far less than any really 'cruel' government would manage to rake up. The myth of 'bare-handed, innocent, lovable protesters' will not die in Isan for a long time. Propaganda of UDD leaders on PTV have done their damage.

From a taxpayer who generously payed bus-tickets to get these misguided people safely home.

The minute they defied the order to disperse (IE: broke the law) they stopped being civilians an became criminals. I am not even going to start in about when they burned, blew up and otherwise terrorized the city and country (although the majority of that happened after the crackdown, but still.

hopefully the red shirt "protesters" will tell their stories and quite possibly the truth will come out. The people don't have a clue as to what really happened, they don't seem to remember the soldiers just pushing back and using unbelievable restraint. The army did not just attack the people, and the people found shot in the temple were probably dragged there to safety. I find it very hard to believe that any soldier would shoot into a temple. Drag someone into a temple for safety sounds more feasible. Let the truth be told, flood the tv stations with the truth, start with education, and start with the truth. I've been reading the tweets @taksinlive, and they are not very supportive of him at all. Most are calling him a white shark and for his death. And the beat goes on...

hopefully the red shirt "protesters" will tell their stories and quite possibly the truth will come out. The people don't have a clue as to what really happened, they don't seem to remember the soldiers just pushing back and using unbelievable restraint. The army did not just attack the people, and the people found shot in the temple were probably dragged there to safety. I find it very hard to believe that any soldier would shoot into a temple. Drag someone into a temple for safety sounds more feasible. Let the truth be told, flood the tv stations with the truth, start with education, and start with the truth. I've been reading the tweets @taksinlive, and they are not very supportive of him at all. Most are calling him a white shark and for his death. And the beat goes on...

Yes,they have shown that they can rule a country and care for it's people and property,good work Reds,i am sure you have won the support of every one in Thailand!

As if the tv stations tell the truth. Surely this is why they were targeted.

I like this sentence:

The minute they defied the order to disperse (IE: broke the law) they stopped being civilians an became criminals. I am not even going to start in about when they burned, blew up and otherwise terrorized the city and country (although the majority of that happened after the crackdown, but still.

It must be remembered that Arisman's rant (which has been widely posted on here) in Khon Kaen, where he urged people to go ready with petrol bombs and burn Bangkok (including ALL mosques, a hospital and many of the locations which actually were burned), happened BEFORE they set off for Bangkok. This group were intent of violence and crime before they even started.

Probably a rented crowd too, as is everything to do with the Red Shirt movement.

Tourism is down, so there would be plenty of taker for the job right now in Chiang Mai

I heard that if you can squeeze out some tears you get a bonus!?

As if the tv stations tell the truth. Surely this is why they were targeted.

No they were targeted for not reporting the redshirts' type of truth (i.e. lies). They were not happy with us seeing that despite them telling us a million times they were unarmed we could see for ourselves that many of them were indeed armed with rifles and grenade launchers.

They were targeted by morons who have no respect for true freedom of speech nor the human lives they put in danger by attacking TV stations with fire.

The Pentagon labels 'protests' as 'Low-Level Terrorism.' http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,526972,00.html

Therefore, I won't 'protest' your broad use of the word 'terrorist.' But, I do wish you'd give it a rest.

The recent tragedy of Thailand is the result of the government allowing the demonstrators to assemble in a high profile shopping area.

This never would have been allowed in any western country and I’m here to tell you that the Philadelphia police of the famous state of freedom revolution and democracy would have cleared them out within the first 24 hours.

They could have set up their protest area in Lumbini Park without interfering with the rights of the people of Bangkok. It would have been a perfect location so close to downtown and they could have stayed there for months without causing harm to the country. They could have told their story from that place and the whole world might have had sympathy for them were it not for their hate filled agenda.

The angry violence inciting speeches of the red shirt leaders and the war like fortifications built around the protest area and their stockpiling of weapons tell us one thing that this movement is not about peace, non-violence and democracy. The fact that they have several times now attacked media outlets tells us clearly that their movement is not about free speech.

The fact that the red shirt leaders forced their followers to stay in the protest area tells us that they are not about freedom.

Given the opportunity they would turn Thailand into another Burma.

It is very sad the poor people in this country who have many legitimate complaints but no leader to make their case other than corrupt power mongers not different than the overlords they oppose.

There is no brilliant academic, no saintly and charismatic leader among them to teach non-violent resistance.

No icon for the Thai as well as international community to identify with.

They are simply misled, used and abused once again and too ignorant to realize it.

wonder if we are going to satrt seeing people "dissappearing" :)

Don't start rumours! After songhkran 2009 we had many, and proven false.

As for those returned by bus, sorry that security regulations didn't let you carry souvenirs, but those with private transportation may be willing to share some of theirs

"100 strong crowd"

Wow ... fantastic support.

Only thirteen posts to go. Looks like you'll make it :) .

Ignore the number. Comment on the content.

Mmmh. Is there a relation between member number and number of posts, maybe inversed?

For those of you who have wife/girlfriend who was part of the protesters, I would be interested to know what you would be saying when they get back.

Say nothing - don't want to provoke them?

Cheer them up?

Console them?

"100 strong crowd"

Wow ... fantastic support.

Only thirteen posts to go. Looks like you'll make it :) .

Ignore the number. Comment on the content.

100 hundred people can burn down BKK, lets really look at the content!