Boats To Beat Bangkok Congestion

george

Boats to beat Bangkok congestion

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok has often been dubbed the 'Venice of the East', but soon travelling by boat could be even easier, thanks to plans by the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) to open up five new routes on the capital's canals, or 'klongs', to help ease congestion on the city's roads.

Today Bangkok Governor Apirak Kosayodhin revealed that the BMA was working with the government's Marine Department to improve river and canal transport, particularly by providing routes linking the capital's klongs with the Chao Phraya River.

These plans will not only include the development of new routes, but will also see the introduction of better canal-side lighting, the development of 'park and ride' schemes, the construction of water bus stops and suggestion boards, and the strengthening of piers.

The five new routes will be on Klong Phasee Charoen, Klong Phadung Krungkasem, Klong Lat Phrao, Klong Bangkok Yai and an extension of Klong Saen Saeb.

A BMA committee will consider the type and size of boats to be used, the shipping routes and the fares.

The BMA has already constructed 15 new piers along Klong Phasee Charoen, as well as modified three existing piers along Klong Bangkok Yai.

--TNA 2005-06-14

I think it's a good idea! I've commuted on both the Khlong Saen Saep and the Chao Phraya and, although the boats are often crowded, they run at about the same speed whether it's rush hour or not. It's always about 35 minutes from The Mall Ban Khapi to Pratunam by boat, but its usually at least an hour by bus!

Also, the boat services could be upgraded for a fraction of the cost of a new subway or sky train route.

I have travelled on the Khlong Saen Saeb from Ratchdamnoen Rd to Sukhumwit Soi 3. During rush hour the roads would be grid-locked at this time, but it was quite a quick journey by boat and a neat short-cut.

However the water in that canal looks and smells pretty much like raw sewage - wouldn't like to fall in there!

I travel on Khlong Saen Saeb 2 or 3 days a week and have had very mixed experiences.

If you travel during the rush hour in the mornings and the weather is rough be prepared to get wet through. Boats often seem to sail in lines of 4 or 5 and when they pass each other without slowing down then often huge waves of black smelly water are thrown into the boats soaking many of the passengers.

Often the boats the boats don't stop completely at the piers making getting on and off a very dangerous affair. Also I have had several occasions where the boat didn't stop at all.

The boats are also very overloaded. I am often amazed when I see up to 15 or 20 Thai people jump into a boat that to me is absolutely packed. How they do it I don't know.

So why do I use the boats? Well I guess the buses are just as crowded, don't stop completely when passengers get on or off and worst of all they get stuck in the traffic. A bus journey to my work can take anything from 10 minutes to 1 hour. A boat journey always takes about 12 - 15 minutes.

Anyway travelling on the klong outside rush hours can be quite pleasant.

I have travelled on the Khlong Saen Saeb from Ratchdamnoen Rd to Sukhumwit Soi 3. During rush hour the roads would be grid-locked at this time, but it was quite a quick journey by boat and a neat short-cut.

However the water in that canal looks and smells pretty much like raw sewage - wouldn't like to fall in there!

Who told you it was water?

Update:

New passenger boat services on five canals

BANGKOK: -- New passenger boat routes will be introduced on five canals _ Phasicharoen, Prem Prachakorn, Phadung Krungkasem, Saen Saeb and Lat Phrao, the deputy director of the city's traffic and transport bureau, Jumpol Sampao, said.

Building of 18 piers had already been completed for the 16 kilometre route along Phasicharoen canal. Tenders would be called to select the ferry operator.

He said 40 million baht would be spent building new piers and improve existing ones on the other four canals.

Eventually there would be 79 passenger piers along the five canals.

Each operator must have at least five boats, each with a capacity of 50 passengers. They could use old boats, but they must be safe, he said. Fares should stand at one baht per kilometre.

Bangkok Governor Apirak Kosayodhin said the ferry service would connect with the electric train network and link Bangkok and Thon Buri.

--Bangkok Post 2005-06-15

These plans will not only include the development of new routes, but will also see the introduction of better canal-side lighting, the development of 'park and ride' schemes, the construction of water bus stops and suggestion boards, and the strengthening of piers.

Now if only the government would implement that idea for all Bangkok's public transportation systems... congestion would be reduced dramatically.

I use the San Seab quite a bit too .... quite nice as long as you don't get soaked. Even in peak hours - it beats banging your head on the roof of the bus. An extension of the canals would be wonderful. Great idea.

Of course, think of the property value if the Klongs were cleaned up!

really really looking forward to it. WHEN will they start full services? Whatever argumented regarding "dangerous ride" or "getting wet" - a Bkk bus ride is similary dangerous. Unbeaten boat advantage is speed. I would even pay triple charges just because of speed.