Thailand Curfew Exacerbates Tourism Woes

webfact

It`s not so much that this curfew has discouraged tourists from visiting Thailand, but rather brassed off the tourists who are already here.

They will probably decide never to holiday in Thailand again plus tell they`re mates what a lousey time they had and therefore this curfew will have a long term affect.

Just one more nail in the coffin for the Thai economy.

No curfew in Phuket. But, I just took a motorbike ride around Rawai and Naiharn, many restaurants are closed. It's Saturday! No one is here. Even the Thai's, except for local natives or business owners, are gone. I haven't gone over to Kata and I never go to Patong, so I'm not sure if anyone is there either. It's the lowest low season I've ever seen in six years that I've been here. Way lower than when the airports were closed. Just my personal observation, no data to back it up... :)

The curfew is such a small part of this - try the international perception of Thailand as a hole - oops - whole, to avoid!

Last night at a restaurant near Sukumvit the patrons were told at 7p.m. the place was closed and we had to leave. They did not advise us at 6.pm. when they served us dinner and drinks. At 7p.m. I went to the washroom, there was a small sign outside the washroom advising customers that during the curfew the restaurant would close at 7 p.m. They tried to refuse to allow us to purchase a beer at the store across the road. and drink it on their patio chairs. I told them with this attitude that their patrons would not return.

One thing you should know by now is you cannot teach a buffalo a lesson.

Last night at a restaurant near Sukumvit the patrons were told at 7p.m. the place was closed and we had to leave. They did not advise us at 6.pm. when they served us dinner and drinks. At 7p.m. I went to the washroom, there was a small sign outside the washroom advising customers that during the curfew the restaurant would close at 7 p.m. They tried to refuse to allow us to purchase a beer at the store across the road. and drink it on their patio chairs. I told them with this attitude that their patrons would not return.

Same thing happened to me 2 nights ago. But the funny thing is that we entered the restaurant at 6:30pm, seeing as it was still open and they handed us the menus and we ordered. At 6:45 the waitress told us that they would close at 7pm and that we would have to "eat quick". Funny, though ...the food hasn't even been served yet at this point. We ended up eating until 7:30 while the waitress stood worried at the window looking outside.

Edited by clown

The curfew isn't stupid at all. I think it should have been a national curfew mixed in with a national period of mourning and reflection about how things have turned to sheit in Thailand.

Looks like they forgot the national period of mourning. Perhaps because they're all just peasants that died? In Thailand you need to have a certain level of income, before you can be considered "worthy of mourning".

Same thing happened to me 2 nights ago. But the funny thing is that we entered the restaurant at 6:30pm, seeing as it was still open and they handed us the menus and we ordered. At 6:45 the waitress told us that they would close at 7pm and that we would have to "eat quick". Funny, though ...the food hasn't even been served yet at this point. We ended up eating until 7:30 while the waitress stood worried at the window looking outside.

Take your money then throw you out. Although I do understand that the employees are worried about getting home, more than we are. They all need a good hug and someone to tell them that things will be alright, and that they are loved and wanted.

The curfew isn't stupid at all. I think it should have been a national curfew mixed in with a national period of mourning and reflection about how things have turned to sheit in Thailand.

Looks like they forgot the national period of mourning. Perhaps because they're all just peasants that died? In Thailand you need to have a certain level of income, before you can be considered "worthy of mourning".

Mourn for in insurgents have never happened.

Infact, there is not any national mourning even for higher civil servants. So I am not sure what you are complaining about...it cannot be double standards, as none of the soldiers or policemen that were killed by insurgents or terrorists in this clash got any national mourning time aswell...

The extended curfew to Sunday is a joke, IMO.

i think the curfews ,, will continue

in the red shirt homelands , in the northern provinces .

causing much disruption , to the protesters , who invaded bangkok ..

the battle field , has moved..

Of course it`s bladdy stupid and bull <deleted> even if it`s necessary.

How about you must participate in a national period of mourning and reflection or otherwise you will receive a 40000 baht fine or shot?

It`s rather difficult to feel sympathy and sadness for those who fought and lost when it has resulted in it being a criminal act to step outside your home at certain times. Practically under house arrest until further notice.

It`s the people like us, Thais and ex-pats who are caught up in this battle between the so-called elite, Toxin and the government. At the end of the day, they`re all it in for themselves, the others are only canon fodder.

At present I’m not in the mood to mourn anyone and as each day passes I become more cheesed off with the place.

Thailand is certainly becoming played out, the party has ended, folks.

I was dumb enough to invest in Thailand and I have family here, so not that easy to just shut the door and bugger off somewhere else, as I`m sure many of us are in the same situation.

Edited by BigWheelMan

Personally, I don't mourn for people who die trying to overthrow the government. I also wouldn't mourn for people who are associated with other people who have burned down my city. Let's not forget that these people are in love with a person who murdered around 3000 Thai citizens when he was in power. Any period of mourning for them?