Thai Government Accuses Foreigners In Bangkok Arson

webfact

Thai government accuses foreigners in Bangkok arson

BANGKOK (AFP) -- Thailand's government said Saturday that two foreigners were involved in arson attacks on major buildings, unleashed after a crackdown on "Red Shirts" protests in Bangkok.

Thailand's biggest shopping mall, Central World, was left gutted and partly collapsed in Wednesday's mayhem that saw 36 buildings torched, including the stock exchange and bank branches.

"A white Westerner was involved in the arson attack on Central World, convincing them to set fire to it. And an Asian was also involved in the arson attacks on the banks," said government spokesman Panitan Wattanayagorn.

Panitan did not give any names but a video of a British man urging the burning and looting of the shopping mall, taken several days before it was set on fire, has been circulating on the YouTube video sharing website.

The man was identified by the British media as Jeff Savage, a resident of the seaside resort of Pattaya, east of Bangkok. In interviews he reportedly defended his conduct but said he did not take part in the arson attack.

The Red Shirts, who are campaigning for elections to replace a government they say is illegitimate, mounted two months of rolling demonstrations that saw clashes and blasts that left 86 dead and 1,900 injured.

In the face of an overwhelming military crackdown, Reds leaders surrendered and asked their thousands of supporters to disperse from Bangkok's top shopping district which they had occupied for six weeks.

afplogo.jpg

-- ©Copyright AFP 2010-05-22

Published with written approval from AFP.

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the British guy heard someone else talk about setting fire and then repeated the words, as heard in the video. Now he's going to be used as a scapegoat. I've seen some video footage on Thai channels showing a Thai guy setting fire to CentralWorld, but haven't been able to find the video anywhere online. I'm sure others saw it as well. Not sure though if that's one of the fires they extinguished or if it's the one that then made the entire building go up in flames.

But yeah, good job. Blame the farangs for the problems. That will bring the tourists back.

I think the British guy heard someone else talk about setting fire and then repeated the words, as heard in the video. Now he's going to be used as a scapegoat. I've seen some video footage on Thai channels showing a Thai guy setting fire to CentralWorld, but haven't been able to find the video anywhere online. I'm sure others saw it as well. Not sure though if that's one of the fires they extinguished or if it's the one that then made the entire building go up in flames.

But yeah, good job. Blame the farangs for the problems. That will bring the tourists back.

They have a video of a farang shouting "We are gonna burn the F#cker down and steal it all" and you think its a "Get the farang" conspiracy :):D:D

Hopefully they make an arrest very soon.

The Thai govt issued a very stern warning at the beginning of all of this stating that foriegners had no place at the protests and rightly so. This very foolish person has brought this upon himself, society has too many people like this, hopefully he won't see the light of day for a very long time. Hope hes fond of fish head soup. :)

For the Thai Government to come out with this statement shows how stupid they really are,what actual evidence have they got to come out with this stupid statement....Are they trying deliberatly to involve farangs and ruin the countrys tourism prospects...Panitan Wattanayagorn what a plonker.

This is the beginning : "The Thais are peaceful, the unrests was just a mirage and anyway all the troubles had been made by foreigners."

Do we bet?

The Asian man (who does not exist any way) will be supposed to be Cambodian.

"accusiation" is not a charge by law.

he might be even arrested, but if there is no proof (very unlikely there is one), he should be released shortly.

after talking to a reporter before burning happened, the brit called the times in London and explained, that he wasn't serious and he wasn't anywhere the Central on 19th.

his excuse at police might be that he have been drunk and defence can claim his mental state (throwing a stick on the road in the direction of the camera).

arresting a foreigner (or two) on some phoney charges sets a precedent to be used against them at anytime in the future, whatever the context might be - car accident, bar brawl, pickpocketing, credit card fraud etc

Edited by londonthai

I just watched the video, showed 309 views. Very convincing stuff. He did look angry.

bye bye Jeff. I don't think he was acting or repeating anybody's words in my opinion.

Edited by gr8fldanielle

For the Thai Government to come out with this statement shows how stupid they really are,what actual evidence have they got to come out with this stupid statement....Are they trying deliberatly to involve farangs and ruin the countrys tourism prospects...Panitan Wattanayagorn what a plonker.

agree, ive seen the video and the guy was off his head on drugs! He didn't look capable of fighting his way out of a paper bag, never mind orchestrating a mass arson! This govt is braindead and just want to make a scapegoat! BTW i bet the bloke is absolutely cacking himself!! no more yaa baa for him!

This is the kind of "proof" that will never stand up in any court, not even in Burma, but in Thailand it does, because the judges are sitting on any given chair. A youtube video? What a joke, it could have been cut fifteen times and taken out of context.

I could make a Youtube video in which it appears that Suthep or Abhisit told the people to set fire to it. It is just a matter of cutting and pasting.

Besides if I tell the yellow shirts to occupy the airports and they do it, am I to blame?

The Thai govt issued a very stern warning at the beginning of all of this stating that foriegners had no place at the protests and rightly so. This very foolish person has brought this upon himself, society has too many people like this, hopefully he won't see the light of day for a very long time. Hope hes fond of fish head soup. :)

Haven't they already arrested him ?

in the first post it says:

Quote "In interviews he reportedly defended his conduct but said he did not take part in the arson attack"

I hope he serves a long time in Bangkok Hilton, one less piece of scum in Pattaya, I lot left though.

Edited by johnson36

Maybe they will allow him to have mushy peas with his soup instead of rice.

he might be even arrested, but if there is no proof (very unlikely there is one), he should be released shortly.

after talking to a reporter before burning happened, the brit called the times in London and explained, that he wasn't serious and he wasn't anywhere the Central on 19th.

his excuse at police might be that he have been drunk and defence can claim his mental state (throwing a stick on the road in the direction of the camera)

after talking to a reporter, the brit called the times in London and explained, that he wasn't serious and he wasn't there anywhere the Central

OK

I couldn't agree more. As much as this idiot probably should be locked up for something, I highly doubt he had anything to do with it. Anyway, if I'm wrong or right doesn't matter; he's still a douche, but let's make sure the blame is where it belongs.

On one hand, that git deserves to spend some time locked up. On the other hand, the Thai government seems to be exaggerating things quite a bit.

This man was crazy and alterate but, tell me. how many in theyr life dont say something......non conventional when they are alterate for somethings?

Now uf we want put in jail all people talk crazy.......the world is a big jail dont you think?

Opsss i dont understand people like that that talk in front a camera in a country different of then country!! crazy and stupid yes him is!

agree, ive seen the video and the guy was off his head on drugs! He didn't look capable of fighting his way out of a paper bag, never mind orchestrating a mass arson! This govt is braindead and just want to make a scapegoat! BTW i bet the bloke is absolutely cacking himself!! no more yaa baa for him!

Exactly my thoughts also and soon he will be the leader of the whole protest while the real leaders go free after their R&R is finished at their current holiday treatment.

whatever the man's implication, it suddenly dawned on someone in the Thaï govt that with Thaksin supposedly in London, it could be of use to have some leverage on the UK embassy.

Now we'll see how far Brit brotherhood extends, ie whether he'll get any support from his consulate ; I'm off to the UK press to see the reactions there , might be worth a read .

Is Thai Visa now a place to push one political agenda...

How long would a thread naming and shaming those in Pattaya go go's last? After all, prostitution is illegal. In fact, maybe we should report those posters who mention visiting such places, just in case they break the law? Or even those who claim to have frequented an illegal establishment. How about farang working illegally?, thats a good one, if we had a quota, we might get kickbacks!. Very slippery slope. Maybe we should look back at the PAD 'terrorism' and file reports of farang supporting the illegal coup, the hijacking of govt house, and the airport? Maybe we gather information of ALL the farang we meet, and post to a dossier thread on TVisa... after all many hands make light work, and at the last general election.. more or less 50% of Thailand voted for the 'reds'. No time to lose then. Dodgy dealers, that another one, unscrupulous farang businessmen, name and shame them. Even better, background check website! scan the ex con lists.

oops, just remembered, the international community think the 'reds' may well win in an election, does this mean our witchhunt findings might come back to haunt us?

Edited by whiterussian

This is the kind of "proof" that will never stand up in any court, not even in Burma, but in Thailand it does, because the judges are sitting on any given chair. A youtube video? What a joke, it could have been cut fifteen times and taken out of context.

I could make a Youtube video in which it appears that Suthep or Abhisit told the people to set fire to it. It is just a matter of cutting and pasting.

Besides if I tell the yellow shirts to occupy the airports and they do it, am I to blame?

If I am not mistaken, some government guys (or state media) claimed the Youtube video of Thaksin in Montenegro was also fake, because he was actually dying in cancer or something. Suddenly he is more alive than ever. :)

You can't eat the doughnut and keep the hole.